Mike Ford

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Mike Ford

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Possibly going to get some negative reactions, but oh well.

Since he's moved into the defense coach role at the club. Our defence has come on leaps and bounds.

A lot of that is also improved physical fitness (Thanks Aled), but our defensive structure and scramble defence has come on loads.

Mike Ford has to take a chunk of credit for that. I was not his greatest fan as an attack coach. With a round peg in a round hole though we have now put a proven top quality defense coach in charge of defense and now our defence has significantly improved.

Yesterday was won by our defensive effort. 12 months ago we don't win that game, I don't think we even get a LBP 12 months ago let alone deny our opponents one.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Mike Ford

Post by johnthegriff »

Lots saying what we would or would not have done 12 months ago, 12 months ago we won in Cardiff, Calvisano and got an LB in Pau. I agree our defence has improved of late and that is probably down to Ford, yesterday we had a great win but we will only judge improvement properly if we remember accurately. We are a couple of steps on the way but we still have a long way to go.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Can’t argue at all. A lot of hits are dominant too. Lining up well,getting back into position quickly,rush defence looks good,scramble defence is good. What’s not to like?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Credits where credits due, I think Ford has done a very good job, but it's important to be humble. Were Bayonne poor because we forced them into errors or were they just poor? I think a bit of both personally.

Yes a good defence has a lot to do with fitness (thank you Aled) and a team effort, but the fact teams are finding it harder to break us down as everyone is buying into the system and making less individual errors shows that I Ford is doing a good job.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I will add that even though MF is classed as defence coach dont underplay what Borths is adding to the team and what he would’ve brought from Eddie and Sarries. In Englands early days,and even now to a certain extent,don’t forget that England’s game was pretty much purely built on a brutal defence that forced mistakes.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:30 pm built on a brutal defence that forced mistakes.
Isn't that the defence coaches job? I'd say Mike Ford has found his perfect niche.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

drc_007 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:49 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:30 pm built on a brutal defence that forced mistakes.
Isn't that the defence coaches job? I'd say Mike Ford has found his perfect niche.
Not just the defence coaches job no
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

It's apparent how our more proactive in-your-face defence is forcing opposition team into mistakes, isn't it? No coincidence with the fitting of round pegs into round holes, particularly in regard to coaches. I've always thought that Mike Ford had a lot more to offer than his previous role at the club allowed. Worth remembering that without a defence you can't attack! :smt023
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I’m sure it’s a collaboration, but as his specific role is defence coach I too am liking what I’ve been seeing. Like all systems, particularly new ones, it takes a while to bed in.

And don’t underestimate the input of Aled Walters. He’s a good coach in his own right.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:14 pm Lots saying what we would or would not have done 12 months ago, 12 months ago we won in Cardiff, Calvisano and got an LB in Pau. I agree our defence has improved of late and that is probably down to Ford, yesterday we had a great win but we will only judge improvement properly if we remember accurately. We are a couple of steps on the way but we still have a long way to go.
Very wise words. Last season overall was pretty abysmal, but European results were good.

I mostly agree with TigerFeetSteve on the defence, but there are still moments in most games where it looks far too easy for the opposition to score. Ford has definitely made progress, but there is still a long way to go.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:17 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:14 pm Lots saying what we would or would not have done 12 months ago, 12 months ago we won in Cardiff, Calvisano and got an LB in Pau. I agree our defence has improved of late and that is probably down to Ford, yesterday we had a great win but we will only judge improvement properly if we remember accurately. We are a couple of steps on the way but we still have a long way to go.
Very wise words. Last season overall was pretty abysmal, but European results were good.

I mostly agree with TigerFeetSteve on the defence, but there are still moments in most games where it looks far too easy for the opposition to score. Ford has definitely made progress, but there is still a long way to go.
Agree we do occasionally switch off, but good defending definitely becomes a habit. The more they drill it, the more they do it the less likely those momentary lapses will come.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Irrespective of personalities and rumors I believe Mike Ford a capable and high class coach.
We have improved defensively , but please let us not forget that it is early days, realistically we started from a low base and that we sure as hell needed to improve !!
Good luck to the guy - deserves more than insinuations , for me anyway.....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I doubt any one person can be given the credit, it's a team making a team effort and long may it continue
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

Mike Ford does deserve credit but I still think the best signing we’ve made in recent years is Aled Walters.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:44 pm Mike Ford does deserve credit but I still think the best signing we’ve made in recent years is Aled Walters.
Since pretty much the first game back after Lockdown One people have been remarking how much fitter the team look and how brilliant Walters is. But, do we think Walters is brilliant because the team look fitter, or do we think the team look fitter because we already know Walters is brilliant? Placebo, or cause?

Personally, I haven't seen that much difference yet, but I'm sure Walters is excellent at what he does and will prove to be a fantastic addition. I think we used to look unfit in games where we were on the back foot and defending all match and so fell away and conceded a lot towards the end - which is pretty much what happened against Exeter. Much of the extra energy and effort that seems to be present this season is, I suspect, more about attitude and application than physical fitness and perhaps has as much to do with Borthwick as Walters.