Boxing Day vs Newcastle

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dunc
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Boxing Day vs Newcastle

Post by dunc »

Hopefully it will be the first time we are at full strength. My guess at the team will be

1) Genge
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Lavanini
5) Wells
6) Liebenberg
7) Brink
8) Wiese
9) Youngs
10) Ford
11) Nadolo
12) Scott
13) Moroni
14) Murimurivalu
15) Steward
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Boxing Day vs Newcastle

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

dunc wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:26 pm Hopefully it will be the first time we are at full strength. My guess at the team will be

1) Genge
2) Youngs
3) Cole
4) Lavanini
5) Wells
6) Liebenberg
7) Brink
8) Wiese
9) Youngs
10) Ford
11) Nadolo
12) Scott
13) Moroni
14) Murimurivalu
15) Steward
I think we need a 7 on the pitch. I'd go with either Taufua or Reffell (but wouldn't be disappointed with Wallace)

Only other change I'd think about is De Bruin or Cole. Not sure Atm which I'd go with, but am leaning De Bruin
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not keen on that BR,need to play Reffell or Wallace or Taufua at the very least
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Agreed: Tigers needs some spoilers in the back row and some pace. Think how well Thomo played up there on their artificial pitch. It will certainly need an 80 + minute performance as Newcastle has proved they are a fast, fit team.
Delano and Floody will be licking their lips at the chance to win 4 in a row!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Need to take into account the plastic pitch & any dodgy lower limbs, not sure I would risk Brink, Moroni or Taute.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

1 Genge
2 Youngs
3 Cole
4 Lavanini
5 Wells
6 Liebenberg
7 Reffell
8 Wiese
9 Youngs
10 Ford
11 Nadolo
12 Porter
13 Moroni
14 Murimurivalu
15 Steward

16 Clare
17 Gigena (Leatigaga if Gigena not fit)
18 De Bruin
19 Green
20 Brink
21 Taufua
22 White
23 Henry

Pretty similar to that above but think I’d go for this. Natural 7 to add balance to the back row. Start with Reffell with Taufua as impact off the bench. Same with De Bruin and Brink.. would be great impact players after 50 or so minutes.

I’d be tempted to start with Porter as he can cover wing, Murimurivalu can cover fullback and that’s a bonus if we go for a 6-2 split on the bench.

I get the comments about the pitch but this is a huge game that could kickstart our season. Go for strongest possible 23 imo.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Agree with putting out our strongest 23 - need some momentum and to start proving we can win against the sides in the top part of the table.

Based on the team picked for this weekend, and the teams picked by Borthwick so far I can see something like this being picked:

1 - Genge
2 - Youngs
3 - Cole
4 - Lavanini
5 - Wells
6 - Liebenberg
7 - Reffell
8 - Wiese
9 - Youngs
10 - Ford
11 - Nadolo
12 - Scott
13 - Moroni
14 - van Wyk / Murimurivalu / Potter
15 - Steward

16 - Mamukashvili
17 - Leatigaga
18 - de Bruin
19 - Taufua
20 - Brink
21 - White
22 - Henry
23 - Porter

Arguably the second wing spot is the most up in the air for me. No one has really nailed down a marker, yet I wouldn’t be unhappy with either of those three starting as all have shown glimpses of good things from what I’ve seen.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Not sure I'd have van Wyk in there. He's not really hit the ground running and that muscle injury won't have helped either. I'd go with the experience of Murimurivalu on the right wing. Extra security at the back and can create something from nothing.

Agree with the comments about having a natural 7 start. Plus I like the idea of Brink coming on for added physicality later in the game.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:33 pm Agree with putting out our strongest 23 - need some momentum and to start proving we can win against the sides in the top part of the table.

Based on the team picked for this weekend, and the teams picked by Borthwick so far I can see something like this being picked:

1 - Genge
2 - Youngs
3 - Cole
4 - Lavanini
5 - Wells
6 - Liebenberg
7 - Reffell
8 - Wiese
9 - Youngs
10 - Ford
11 - Nadolo
12 - Scott
13 - Moroni
15 - Steward

16 - Mamukashvili
17 - Leatigaga
18 - de Bruin
19 - Taufua
20 - Brink
21 - White
22 - Henry
23 - Porter

Arguably the second wing spot is the most up in the air for me. No one has really nailed down a marker, yet I wouldn’t be unhappy with either of those three starting as all have shown glimpses of good things from what I’ve seen.
What you thinking for lock cover? Liebenberg? Might need a bit more cover in the second row potentially
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:41 pm
RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:33 pm Agree with putting out our strongest 23 - need some momentum and to start proving we can win against the sides in the top part of the table.

1 - Genge
2 - Youngs
3 - Cole
4 - Lavanini
5 - Wells
6 - Liebenberg
7 - Reffell
8 - Wiese
9 - Youngs
10 - Ford
11 - Nadolo
12 - Scott
13 - Moroni
15 - Steward

16 - Mamukashvili
17 - Leatigaga
18 - de Bruin
19 - Taufua
20 - Brink
21 - White
22 - Henry
23 - Porter

What you thinking for lock cover? Liebenberg? Might need a bit more cover in the second row potentially
Liebenberg primarily, but both Taufua and Wiese have played lock before, I believe.
I can get why people are going for 6-2 split on the bench, but with a plastic pitch I'd prefer to have a full bench cover - and so went for the impact option of both Taufua and Brink. (Also have the option of Nemani at 8... tongue in cheek but has been done before!!)
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Newcastle just beaten Agen! 10-9 down at half time then turned it around in the second half. They really do look a very good side and tonight had a very mixed side out. Not sure how strong the side Agen was but any win in France is to be admired.
At least Tigers will be massive underdogs!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Ian Cant wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:25 pm Newcastle just beaten Agen! 10-9 down at half time then turned it around in the second half. They really do look a very good side and tonight had a very mixed side out. Not sure how strong the side Agen was but any win in France is to be admired.
I do hope they prove to be (they’re my second team as I’m from that part of the world). However, we have been here before in terms of a cracking start to the season. It’s when the season beds in and one or two injuries arise. Fingers crossed.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ian Cant wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:25 pm Newcastle just beaten Agen! 10-9 down at half time then turned it around in the second half. They really do look a very good side and tonight had a very mixed side out. Not sure how strong the side Agen was but any win in France is to be admired.
It was Castes not Agen
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:12 am
It was Castes not Agen. Not trying to take anything away from an impressive win away in France but Castres fielded a 2nd string team. Their half backs have only made a handful of appearances so far this season; either off the bench or in the Cup. The majority of the starting XV aren't regular starters in the Top 14 matches. I guess it's a bit like tonight's match for us, so we will see. Newcastle 2nds beat Castres 2nds.. can we do the same to Bayonne... :smt017 I certainly hope so.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The lack of the trio of England players does make you wonder if this weekend & Falcons are their 2 weeks off.

We consistently look better with a 7 at 7 so we need to select accordingly, if we aren't going to select Reffell or Wallace there, then Taufua next, Brink just doesn't look right at 7.
To win is not as important as playing with style!