Boxing Day vs Newcastle

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Boxing Day vs Newcastle

Post by JP14 »

Tigers have got to make sure we don’t get ahead of ourselves, Newcastle away is arguably a tougher fixture than the one against Bayonne, but I’m looking forward to it. We are starting to get some good momentum.
Last edited by JP14 on Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:44 am When are the team announcements for this game?
As it’s a Saturday fixture, probably midday on Christmas Day.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JP14 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:08 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:44 am When are the team announcements for this game?
As it’s a Saturday fixture, probably midday on Christmas Day.
Ah ok wondered if they may announce early with the holiday
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Team selection will be announced on Christmas eve.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Important match , looking forward to it.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:45 am Important match , looking forward to it.
But, presumably, only on red button as I can't see it advertised as one of BT's main games.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:53 pm
kk20gb30 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:45 am Important match , looking forward to it.
But, presumably, only on red button as I can't see it advertised as one of BT's main games.
Listed as on BT Extra 3 HD :smt023
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Given that we have to first make sure that we stay up it is important that we target away games against the sides who we might be battling it out in the relegation dogfight. We always hope it won't be the case but, working on the theory that most sides expect to win their home games,(tempered by realism against the likes of Exeter), away wins at Newcastle, Worcester, Saints and Irish are critical in that not only does it gain you 4 points it robs them of 3 or 4.

Win those and you find yourself with the luxury of targetting others for European seedings, but let's not get carried away.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 11:22 am Team selection will be announced on Christmas eve.
:smt023
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Old Hob wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:53 pm
That’s correct
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Same mindset, intensity and desire please for starters. Then let’s get our exits right and not create more pressure on ourselves = yellow cards = tries against. Can we go 15 minutes without conceding a penalty ?! Assuming Nadolo starts, bring him into midfield to punch holes and get in behind the Falcons. That squad vs Bayonne I loved. Experience alongside youth. It worked well. Green & Wells (not Lavanini) should know Henderson is knocking on the door, as well as the other youngsters.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Personally I don't quite see this game as being as important as people are making it out too be.
I guess maybe win this and we can start looking up the table, lose and we will stay looking at who is below us.
But round 4 in a league where 6 teams are still on 1 win. (and of those 6 teams only bath have 2 bonus points)

That being said the next 3 games
Falcons (A)
Bath (H)
Saints (A)

Really currently we should be aiming to win at least 2 of those games.
If we want too keep progressing we have to win Home games (Bar currently against the Exeter's of this league) and we need to aim 1 of those away games.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

On current form we should be able to get 3 wins from them..............................
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:06 am Personally I don't quite see this game as being as important as people are making it out too be.
I guess maybe win this and we can start looking up the table, lose and we will stay looking at who is below us.
But round 4 in a league where 6 teams are still on 1 win. (and of those 6 teams only bath have 2 bonus points)

That being said the next 3 games
Falcons (A)
Bath (H)
Saints (A)

Really currently we should be aiming to win at least 2 of those games.
If we want too keep progressing we have to win Home games (Bar currently against the Exeter's of this league) and we need to aim 1 of those away games.
100% agree win this and it could well be a foundation to look up the league, but losing isn't automatically doom.

Win all 3 and suddenly I think our top four odds would be slashed.

Win 2 and I doubt we'll be dragged into the dogfight.

Only one win would likely keep us off the bottom but we'd be well and truly dragged into the dogfight.

Lose all 3 and we'll likely be bottom.

In the immediate aftermath of the covid outbreak at the club a number had written off Glaws and had the Irish game as critical for getting our first points on the board.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I like to work in game blocks of 3. We should be looking at a minimum of 5 points out of the next 3 imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer