Media Love In

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Media Love In

Post by Tiglon »

This popped up in my news feed this morning. For those who think we didn't get the praise back in the early noughties that Chiefs get now, it's still going on 20 years later!

https://www.planetrugby.com/greatest-ru ... 1998-2002/

Don't you just hate a media love in? :smt002

And yes, lots of people hated us back then, just as this forum is proof that lots of people hate Chiefs now too.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Media Love In

Post by Scott1 »

Thought it was gonna be something up to date then,I love the media “love in” best ever Lions players too as well as the media “love in” best ever rugby XV ,you disappoint me but you got the nibble you were looking for 😂🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Why didn't Tuilagi get a mention?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

LE18 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:55 pm Why didn't Tuilagi get a mention?
If you mean Manu, I'm guessing because he was only about 2 at the time :smt044 :smt044
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Accentuate the positives ? Definitely , although without question Exeter are a very accomplished and well coached side/club. Perhaps just as noticeable however is the lack of critical comment in terms Exeters 'interpretation' of the laws of the game - the clear-out, the breakdown the offside rule etc, etc,etc
Similarly ,prior to this, though not so long ago was/is the Rugby media's (virtual) self denial when it came to the actions of Saracens and exactly what their actions in terms of the Salary Cap breaches actually amounted to.One only has to cast an eye to other sports to see how similar actions are regarded and punished - seems an awful lot of Rugby journalists have thesauri and dictionaries that exclude any references the words 'Cheat' or 'Cheating'...
In sport , in life and as always it is who your friends are that counts , I'm afraid.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Exeter have evolved the attempted ball up the jumper and push beyond the ruck all over the park.
Fair play it combats the defensive rush which was often at least one defender offside with weak officiating.
It's cause and effect.
Good coaching in the current playing climate yes but still two wrongs don't make a right.
You can't even drag out players beyond the ruck now let alone go over the top with the studs.
Near impossible to defend on the try line.
Weak officiating for game flow and it's becoming rather tiresome.
Exeter and Leicester's successes are not the same.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BFG wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:27 am Exeter have evolved the attempted ball up the jumper and push beyond the ruck all over the park.
Fair play it combats the defensive rush which was often at least one defender offside with weak officiating.
It's cause and effect.
Good coaching in the current playing climate yes but still two wrongs don't make a right.
You can't even drag out players beyond the ruck now let alone go over the top with the studs.
Near impossible to defend on the try line.
Weak officiating for game flow and it's becoming rather tiresome.
Exeter and Leicester's successes are not the same.
100%
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Listening to the soporific commentary on the Exeter v Glos game makes me want to stick three fingers down my throat :smt037

Apparently, they set the benchmark others seek to follow :smt017
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

fentiger wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:16 pm Listening to the soporific commentary on the Exeter v Glos game makes me want to stick three fingers down my throat :smt037

Apparently, they set the benchmark others seek to follow :smt017
But there’s no love in apparently 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

The Premiership and European champions setting the benchmark for others to follow? Well, obviously.

The jealousy and sour grapes from some on here at any other team's success is truly hilarious :smt044
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:33 pm The Premiership and European champions setting the benchmark for others to follow? Well, obviously.

The jealousy and sour grapes from some on here at any other team's success is truly hilarious :smt044
It's the fawning of the media that gets me! They never see the obvious blocking lines, flopping over etc etc, yet when Tigers were at our heights we were perennially accused of cheating :smt017
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

fentiger wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:12 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:33 pm The Premiership and European champions setting the benchmark for others to follow? Well, obviously.

It's the fawning of the media that gets me! They never see the obvious blocking lines, flopping over etc etc, yet when Tigers were at our heights we were perennially accused of cheating :smt017
The blocking lines that take defenders out, superman impressions at rucks, etc... I think the gripe from most people is that it is so blatant

To be honest the reason why I started disliking them was because they always really get the :censored: when things are not going their way and they have several players who constantly make cheap-shot "afters" on players who have just scored a try (they are not unique in this aspect but do it a hell of a lot more than other teams) - a lot of the stuff they also get away with at ruck time is also, IMO, downright dangerous and it's a disgrace that either the law allows them to do it, or that it is not being officiated correctly

Sarries were smug gits which is why everyone disliked them - but with good reason - they were good. The irony was that their core squad was below the cap so they didn't even need to cheat!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

So are you all saying that referees are biased towards Exeter?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

fentiger wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:23 pm
If you mean Manu, I'm guessing because he was only about 2 at the time :smt044 :smt044
It looks like Alex to me, still wonder why no mention?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:26 pm
fentiger wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:23 pm
It looks like Alex to me, still wonder why no mention?
If it's 98-02 period it's Freddie. Pretty sure Henry and Alex joined in about 03 or 04 (though that doesn't ensure the picture is the right period)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.