Premiership rejects BT TV offer

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership rejects BT TV offer

Post by Tiglon »

For Amazon I doubt it's about directly getting more subscribers or increasing revenue. Their strategy (I reckon they actually have one!) seems to be about doing everything for everyone.

They want you going there for more and more things, thus reinforcing their brand. Do they make money from flogging cut price echo's every black friday? Does it get them more subscribers? I doubt it, but it's another thing in your house from amazon.

We're heading towards a world where everything in your home is linked, and the big competition is between the systems that bring it all together.

Amazon don't want to make money from selling things for you to watch, they want to make money by being involved in everything you do. Completely different business model to BT.

Sounds like today BT are close to a deal anyway, which is a shame because I'm getting a bit fed up of being their customer and would love to be able to walk away.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Just need a quick decision one way or the other so I know whether or not to renew with BT. Like others it is the main thing that ties me to them.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:05 am It would be harsh on BT which have done a better job than Sky were doing, (cant stand Dayglo or Doyle though), whose to say Amazon wouldn't up it again.
I only have a BT subscription at present as all our league games will be on, once that's finished, I'll be off, I don't have Prime but if the rugby went there at the same cost I would be tempted for what else it offers.

Like others I think Amazon are not exactly a force for good, but the convenience makes me hold my nose as I add to basket.

Haven't worked out yet why BT dont just have a rugby subscription, ie that's all you can watch, I barely watch any of the rest, but would pay a lesser subscription, maybe, just for rugby.
100% agree - I'm the same. Only have BT for the rugby & MotoGP, don't watch all the other stuff.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Coops wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:38 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:05 am It would be harsh on BT which have done a better job than Sky were doing, (cant stand Dayglo or Doyle though), whose to say Amazon wouldn't up it again.
I only have a BT subscription at present as all our league games will be on, once that's finished, I'll be off, I don't have Prime but if the rugby went there at the same cost I would be tempted for what else it offers.

Like others I think Amazon are not exactly a force for good, but the convenience makes me hold my nose as I add to basket.

Haven't worked out yet why BT dont just have a rugby subscription, ie that's all you can watch, I barely watch any of the rest, but would pay a lesser subscription, maybe, just for rugby.
100% agree - I'm the same. Only have BT for the rugby & MotoGP, don't watch all the other stuff.
Yes I’m the same would be good if Amazon prime got the rugby in my opinion of course
A2O
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

If BT do not get the rights the I will save a few quid as I only subscribe to get rugby as I have no interest in soccer etc. I have often thought of canning BT for that reason but with lockdown any access to rugby is welcome distraction. Also, the "kindergarten humour" of Healy etc is, IMO, way more acceptable than the Sky bunch who actually bore me to tears with their staid commentaries.

I already subscribe to Prime anyway and I did enjoy the coverage of the AIs and the ability to just login and get the replays and highlights. I thought the pundits produced a balanced and inviting commentary to the games.

More than anything though, I am looking forward to my return to WR in 2021 and the atmosphere it brings
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

It is naive to think that when amazon have all these top sports that they wont put prices up to cover it
Less is more....
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Seems that BT are back in the game with an improved offer - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rug ... t-19472643

Sad news about the young man about to join Nottingham
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Does anyone think DAZN may have a go at the rugby rights now their app has finally launched over here? It’s Eddie Hearn,Barry Hearns son if anyone doesn’t know,who has a massive $1bn 8 year boxing deal with them. We could soon see snooker and darts move over there at some point and Eddies boxing deal with Sky Sports is up for renewal in May and they have also said they will be bidding for the next premiership football rights. If anyone is interested it has launched at £1.99 a month,the app is very easy to download on a fire stick or online and GGG and Canelo are both fighting this weekend 👍
Last edited by Scott1 on Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Haven't worked out yet why BT dont just have a rugby subscription, ie that's all you can watch, I barely watch any of the rest, but would pay a lesser subscription, maybe, just for rugby
Because they need people like you and me to help cover the cost of Champions League football etc.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

They are daft then as come the end of the current situation, they wont get a penny from me....however much watching a certain team in Europe appeals in the Wendyball.
As per the players that didn't sign up to the pay cut, a percentage of 100% is worth more than 100% of Zero.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Like with Sky the best way to get a deal with BT is phone them. During a normal season I rarely watch Tigers on BT as we are at the games but enjoy their coverage of the other games.
I usually watch 2-3 games on BT each weekend and was grateful( despite Tigers’ form! ) for their coverage of all games at no extra cost unlike the football!!!
Eventually the City matches were also covered without an extra fee.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Looks like BT Sport have secured the TV contract till end of 23/24 season.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:18 pm Looks like BT Sport have secured the TV contract till end of 23/24 season.
Gutted!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:24 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:18 pm Looks like BT Sport have secured the TV contract till end of 23/24 season.
Gutted!
Same. Would have been interesting what innovation Amazon would have brought.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Excellent! As someone said earlier, they deserve a lot of credit for televising every game during this year and for doing a generally good job all round.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina