Premiership rejects BT TV offer

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Premiership rejects BT TV offer

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:16 am The only downside is that you cannot record it on prime
Don't need to record it, been on and just checked I can still watch all the games Amazon showed. Dunno how long they're going to remain available for but it's been over a month since the first game.

The watch from start feature is also great if running a bit late.

That essentially means there's a few hour window after it finishes till the full replay is available. I can live with that.

Also if people's preferences are against any commentator then there may be multiple audio streams such as just listening to the match/ref mic?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

MCC1964 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:46 am
JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:57 am My disgruntlement with BT Sport's coverage is well known and if it goes to Amazon I'll be more than happy to switch as I'm the only family member who uses it anyway and its price is nowhere near value for money.

My only hope is that Amazon don't swoop up the BT team... no one needs the shocking bias of Dallaglio and Healey, or the dull afters of Ben Kay, or the shallow and nonexistent presenting of Elgan & Craig Doyle and the irrelevant, uninspiring and irritating commentary of Nick Mullins et al.

However I don't mind Bayfield, Monye, O'Driscoll or Flatman.
I I have to disagree with you regarding Nick Mullins and Alistair Ekyn (?) for that matter. Personal preference I know, but I think they are far superior to their Sky TV predecessors. Miles Harrison anyone? Dear me, no. As to the pundits, give me Flats and Benny Kayser any day. Quite like Ugo as well.
As someone who has only heard Harrison on highlights and replays (I don't have Sky Sports) I can't really comment. As for other commentators I'm a fan of Cotter and the up-and-coming Scottish fella who has covered a couple of Challenge Cup/PRC games for BT but his name has escaped me, he's good too.

I don't get the hate for Monye by some, yes he can be a little biased and his advice is often wide of the mark but overall he's good, massive fan of Kayser too.

Another poster has mentioned Alphonsi, not really seen her much in punditry (on ITV I think?) however I was very impressed by Scaz when she did some work for BT whilst injured, I mean is there anything she can't do?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

my only issue would be I don't know how to get prime for free like I can with sky and BT. Being a Yorkie, if I can get owt fe nowt I will. Had so many "free prime trials" don't think I qualify for any more
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:20 pm my only issue would be I don't know how to get prime for free like I can with sky and BT. Being a Yorkie, if I can get owt fe nowt I will. Had so many "free prime trials" don't think I qualify for any more
How do you get them for free? I have NOW TV,took it at £20pm instead of £33.99 and after the deal is up if you threaten to leave online they just renew it. I have Amazon prime which is fantastic value for money so hope it goes on there or SKY.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

European rugby too!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Can't see it being free if it does go to Amazon. They already charge extra for any half decent films, so if they have to pay 40 million quid for the rugby they're gonna charge something extra.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

i think BT should be shown some respect that they are still showing all games for free - this is a big commitment financially to the fans in my view.
be careful what you wish for with Amazon - you don't think for one minute that prime subscriptions wont soar once they land all this very expensive sport?
Less is more....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

The premiership football games are of no extra cost.
Last edited by Scott1 on Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not sure of the figures but a quick look says the football has cost £90m for 3 seasons so not much in it
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:20 pm my only issue would be I don't know how to get prime for free like I can with sky and BT. Being a Yorkie, if I can get owt fe nowt I will. Had so many "free prime trials" don't think I qualify for any more
I get prime at a discounted rate through my phone contract.

The amount I save in postage from Amazon covers the cost of subscription.

There is an even cheaper subscription which is just to prime video and doesn't include other prime benefits.

Or find someone who has Prime who will let you log a smart TV in via it?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Bunchy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:47 pm i think BT should be shown some respect that they are still showing all games for free - this is a big commitment financially to the fans in my view.
be careful what you wish for with Amazon - you don't think for one minute that prime subscriptions wont soar once they land all this very expensive sport?
Drop in a vast ocean, Amazon get significantly more subscribers to Prime than people who watch sports. They will be very careful not to overspend on it and have to increase subscriptions over (what is to Amazon) a small side branch to their product lines.

BT sport has a much narrower target audience so therefore need significantly fewer customers to cover all costs.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

:smt023
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:14 pm
ay2oh wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:16 am The only downside is that you cannot record it on prime
Don't need to record it, been on and just checked I can still watch all the games Amazon showed. Dunno how long they're going to remain available for but it's been over a month since the first game.

The watch from start feature is also great if running a bit late.

That essentially means there's a few hour window after it finishes till the full replay is available. I can live with that.

Also if people's preferences are against any commentator then there may be multiple audio streams such as just listening to the match/ref mic?
:smt023
A2O
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:33 pm
How do you get them for free? I have NOW TV,took it at £20pm instead of £33.99 and after the deal is up if you threaten to leave online they just renew it. I have Amazon prime which is fantastic value for money so hope it goes on there or SKY.
\

Piggy back on Friend's BT as he has a spare slot and used to piggyback on Son's/Daughter's friends sky -
Hehehehehehehehe
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:54 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:33 pm
\

Piggy back on Friend's BT as he has a spare slot and used to piggyback on Son's/Daughter's friends sky -
👍
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:19 am Well if I can save about £280 a year on a channel that I only use for rugby currently then I will be very happy.
I already use Amazon Prime so the saving will be more.
That's basically pays for my Season ticket.
BT pays 40m for Prem rugby and charge punters £25 per month.

Amazon pays the same and charge £7.99 per month.

I can't see how that can work? Am I missing something?