Tigers vs Brive

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
OakhamTiger32
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by OakhamTiger32 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:07 pm

TigerFeetSteve wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:05 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:03 pm
Moose wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:58 pm


Be interested to see how Liebenberg got on in the row - I know he's done it before, but don't think I've seen him play there - think that would be the only way to get them all on the pitch at the same time (short of a 4 man backrow!).
He has played there before you're right and it could be some scrum if we tried it but I think he seems to be making the 6 jersey his own so I would be tempted to leave him there. We seem to be well stocked 1-3 and 6-8 but perhaps are perhaps one quality lock short of a... well whatever is counted in locks!
A vault?
:smt038 :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who yearns for the good old days!

TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:10 pm

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by TA30 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 pm

Was like watching a Saracens defensive training session. We always looked in control without getting out of 2nd gear. It was great with no Comms as you could hear the excitement the team had in defence. some of the hits were great - Joe heyes put some big shots in.

Steward is 100% the future, he is not yet the finished article.

Wish we would stop taking 3points, would much rather we always go to the corner - it's what Exeter do for the reason that the more you do it the better you get. So much more to come from our backline and frustrating we only looked to go wide in last 20.

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4317
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by sam16111986 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:31 pm

OakhamTiger32 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:43 pm
sam16111986 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:42 pm
1
kpj tiger wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:33 pm
A classic case of not my job from the last Brive defender then :smt005
:smt043

Can't blame him. Game's lost and there's a massive 20 something stone Fijian coming flying at you.

Much better performance, obviously not the finished article but better. We looked organised in defence and set piece. Attack still needs some work but the impact of Ford was massive. The impact of Youngs less so, I think White added more tempo. Hopefully someone tells Youngs that and fires him up.

Much needed game time for Lavanini who looked rusty early doors but improved over the 80. Moroni looks classy already and should get better as his sharpness returns. A lot to be positive about, that giant Bok prop looking a monster at the scrum icing on the cake.
Wasn’t Youngs directly involved in both tries we scored out wide? Thought he made a pretty decent impact off the bench
Youngs isn't a 100 cap international by accident he's one of the best going. I don't think he's hit his straps for Tigers for a few seasons and I don't think he did tonight though he certainly linked well once play opened up. I hope they tell him White outdid if nothing else then to push him towards his best form. We want vintage Youngs Vs Falcons in a couple of weeks.

JGT57
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:30 am

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by JGT57 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:32 pm

Thought Nadolo was largely a spectator

Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2348
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 3:19 pm
Location: Thurnby Lodge

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by Jimmy Skitz » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:34 pm

a much better balance to the attacking plan, far more ball in hand tonight vs last weekend.

great win, now try and build on it

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7166
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:46 pm
Location: Scotland

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by tigerburnie » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:44 pm

Vital confidence building result and performance, well done the team.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1750
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:20 pm
Location: Gosport

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by Smudge » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:06 pm

I often get fed up with the stupid comments made by commentators but I missed them tonight. Sitting with my chums
at the game, there is always someone among us who knows who the players are. This year, with so many new faces and my eyesight not as good as it was, I struggle a bit. It surprised me how much I missed Ben etc and the score on the corner of the box. At least I did get to see it. Onwards and upwards.
A life long Tiger

Tiglon
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2592
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by Tiglon » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:52 pm

Last season we put 40 past a Pau team of similar ability, so in terms of scoreline I don't see any reason to claim progress has been made today.

However, lots of faces new to each other and lots of positive individual performances. Hopefully we can see more of a team performance next week (although I wouldn't be surprised to see the seconds sent out).

MCC1964
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:29 pm
Location: East Midlands

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by MCC1964 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:19 am

Tiglon wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:52 pm
Last season we put 40 past a Pau team of similar ability, so in terms of scoreline I don't see any reason to claim progress has been made today.

However, lots of faces new to each other and lots of positive individual performances. Hopefully we can see more of a team performance next week (although I wouldn't be surprised to see the seconds sent out).
That’s a tad disingenuous. We scored 37 points and had all tries been converted that would have been 43 points.

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:53 am
Location: Barrowford, near the Witches

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club » Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:39 am

I think the result needs to be taken in context to the standard of the opposition, some were heaping praise after the Glaws game, the proof will be in our next 2 league games, I do worry we might of wasted Ford & Youngs in last nights game.
After last night White on form in a Tigers shirt should be our starting 9.
To win is not as important as playing with style!

OakhamTiger32
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:01 pm

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by OakhamTiger32 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:08 am

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:39 am
I do worry we might of wasted Ford & Youngs in last nights game.
Here’s my thoughts for what is worth:

elite players are limited to 30 lots of 80 minutes or 35 involvements in a matchday squad, whichever comes sooner

So far this season Ford and Youngs have played:
Tigers 1
England 4

Tigers remaining matches in all competitions 14 matches (excluding matches during 6N 06 Feb 21 - 20 Mar 21)

Possible extra European matches 4
Possible extra Prem matches 2
England 6N 5

Total 30

I might have missed something but I reckon we should be ok. This is assuming they play every game for Tigers when they aren’t away with England and we get to the final in both Prem and Europe.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who yearns for the good old days!

TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 593
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:04 pm

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by TigerBoy1880 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:29 am

TA30 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 pm
Was like watching a Saracens defensive training session. We always looked in control without getting out of 2nd gear. It was great with no Comms as you could hear the excitement the team had in defence. some of the hits were great - Joe heyes put some big shots in.

Steward is 100% the future, he is not yet the finished article.

Wish we would stop taking 3points, would much rather we always go to the corner - it's what Exeter do for the reason that the more you do it the better you get. So much more to come from our backline and frustrating we only looked to go wide in last 20.
3 points every single time for me. If you can take 5 (for example) free shots at the posts, that gives you 15 points. You’ve got to get 2 tries and conversions to get that score from those 5 chances. The chances of that are slim.

3 points at every opportunity for me is what I’d always expect from my team if I were the coach.

TigerFeetSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 995
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 am

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by TigerFeetSteve » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:46 am

TigerBoy1880 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:29 am
TA30 wrote:
Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:24 pm
Was like watching a Saracens defensive training session. We always looked in control without getting out of 2nd gear. It was great with no Comms as you could hear the excitement the team had in defence. some of the hits were great - Joe heyes put some big shots in.

Steward is 100% the future, he is not yet the finished article.

Wish we would stop taking 3points, would much rather we always go to the corner - it's what Exeter do for the reason that the more you do it the better you get. So much more to come from our backline and frustrating we only looked to go wide in last 20.
3 points every single time for me. If you can take 5 (for example) free shots at the posts, that gives you 15 points. You’ve got to get 2 tries and conversions to get that score from those 5 chances. The chances of that are slim.

3 points at every opportunity for me is what I’d always expect from my team if I were the coach.
1. Depends on the quality of your goal kicker and location of the penalties. May only be 9 or 12 points.

2. Exeter go for the theory, ok they may only score 2 in 5 times early on, but red zone defending saps energy, risks cards and this means later in the game it is likely to mean more opportunities to score in open play and higher returns than 2 in 5 later.

I think we would have gone for the corner sooner we just wanted to ensure we were 8 or more points ahead before we did. Imagine a intercept try and suddenly we're chasing a game we should be controlling.

Their try yesterday came out of a dominant scrum by us which the just (dubiously) got the ball out of before giving away a penalty, our team was therefore not 100% set and one mistake on the ensuing kick and an awkward bobble got them back close. I certainly wasn't expecting a try for them but in rugby scores against the run off play happen. We managed the gap until we had chance to put our foot down.

It was our indiscipline that meant we delayed that till a bit later in the game.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.

sam16111986
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4317
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:27 pm
Location: Shepshed

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by sam16111986 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:55 am

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 7:39 am
I think the result needs to be taken in context to the standard of the opposition, some were heaping praise after the Glaws game, the proof will be in our next 2 league games, I do worry we might of wasted Ford & Youngs in last nights game.
After last night White on form in a Tigers shirt should be our starting 9.
I thought it was important they got reintegrated into the environment. No pre season with Tigers, they haven't played with their teammates in months and with some of the lads ever. The Ford and Weise combo looked excellent straight away. We wouldn't have got the TBP without their intervention either, Ford in particular was excellent and brought our attack to life. Youngs didn't add the tempo I hoped but did link nicely for some of the scores (he's a class act that needs to be pushed).

I'd risk neither half back next week in France. In fact I'd send a second string and leave the first team here running drills ready for the Flacons game. Build up the attack and set piece as much as possible so we can hopefully do some damage to that solid looking Flacons defence.

kk20gb30
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1339
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:01 pm
Location: Over The Hills & Far Away

Re: Tigers vs Brive

Post by kk20gb30 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:06 am

The result was pleasing as was the introduction and re integration of players - for me though The Premiership remains the priority.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests