Open Letter To The Board

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Open Letter To The Board

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Interesting to see the posts that Jan has liked in the past 24hrs on his Twitter feed...

My earlier guess about it being a overhead reduction due to the impact on the business is likely to be way off the mark based on those “likes”
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:09 am Whilst it may not look good in some areas, something must be going in the right direction for Topps Tiles and Mattioli Woods and other partnerships to invest in Leicester Tigers. Unprecedented times where survival is the primary focus and with no matchday money coming in may mean cuts in other areas to stay in business. Difficult decisions at difficult times.
...probably received a knock down price on the cost of sponsorship!!!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Wonder what the real estate value of Welford Road is. Supermarket? Convention centre, car park? Roller skating rink :smt003
I'm not cynical just experienced
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:09 am Whilst it may not look good in some areas, something must be going in the right direction for Topps Tiles and Mattioli Woods and other partnerships to invest in Leicester Tigers. Unprecedented times where survival is the primary focus and with no matchday money coming in may mean cuts in other areas to stay in business. Difficult decisions at difficult times.
I remember on one of the LTTV shows from the summer that it was said that negotiations with our new main sponsor had been going on some 18 months before being announced.
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

27 May 2013
Cockerill told the Leicester website, "Paul Burke is an exceptional coach. He is very experienced in the game in a number of different environments. Geordan obviously knows Leicester Tigers very well, knows and understands the game at the very highest level and has a wealth of experience and knowledge to pass on to others. Richard Blaze has done an excellent job on the coaching side. It is important to have a strong stable coaching team who all work together."

2 June 2014
"Phil Blake is very well thought of in the game and very experienced," said Tigers director of rugby Cockerill. Blake will work with Richard Cockerill, Paul Burke, Richard Blaze and Geordan Murphy. He joins a very strong group of coaches at this club and we look forward to working with Phil in his new role."

28 October 2014
Richard Cockerill told Radio Leicester “Paul has been a valued member of the coaching team and we wish him well for the future. Phil Blake and Geordan Murphy will share responsibilities for the backs in the short term.

24 November 2014
Leicester Tigers director of rugby Richard Cockerill said “We’ve been looking for the right person for some while to help to take us forward as the game is evolving. Aaron (Mauger) will be a real asset to this club as Head Coach with our coaching team.”

7 May 2015
Leicester Tigers director of rugby Richard Cockerill has confirmed Scott Hansen will join the club as a defence coach, replacing Phil Blake along with new Head Coach Aron Mauger. “We're delighted Richard and Geordan have agreed new contracts, we now have an exceptional coaching group” added Cockerill.

11 October 2016
“We would like to thank Scott Hansen for his commitment and his hard work with the Tigers and we wish him all the best for the future" said Richard Cockerill.

2 January 2017
Tiger’s chairman Peter Tom CBE said: "We thank Richard Cockerill for his loyal and dedicated service as a player, coach and director of rugby.” Head coach Aaron Mauger will take over on an interim basis.

3 January 2017
Peter Toms Tigers Chairman told the club website "Tigers head coach Aaron Mauger will be in interim charge working with coaches Richard Blaze and Geordan Murphy and the existing support staff. The board will conduct a strategic review of the coaching structure to determine an appropriate way forward."

20 March 2017
Leicester chairman Peter Tom said: 'The club have conducted an exhaustive search to find who we feel is the right person to take the team forward. Matt O’Connor has that experience as head coach during a successful period which brought three league titles, an Anglo-Welsh Cup and the club's most recent appearance in the European Cup final.

21 March 2017
Aaron Mauger said “I’m devastated by the news. I gave a presentation to the board only last Thursday, but it would seem the decision had already been made, because I was told yesterday there wouldn’t be a role for me in the new structure beyond this weekend.”

3 July 2017
A club statement said “after a thorough review of the coaching set up, the structure of the backroom team has been finalised with the senior squad due to report back for the start of the pre-season programme this week. Head coach, Matt O’Connor will lead on attack and defence as well as gameplay and structure and will be assisted by Richard Blaze (forwards coach) and Geordan Murphy (skills coach). Boris Stankovich will take on a role as scrum coach for the club as well as working with the academy forwards. Brett Deacon and Anthony Allen have confirmed new roles in the coaching team at Leicester Tigers.

19 September 2017
Richard Blaze has resigned from his role as forwards coach at Leicester Tigers for "personal reasons. He has been an integral part of the environment for a long time. Development coach Brett Deacon will take on Blaze's role until a replacement is appointed.

14 February 2018
Tigers head coach Matt O’Connor said: “Mark Bakewell will join us as new forwards coach. He has extensive experience in the game and is very well respected for his work. He is exactly the kind of experienced voice we’ve been looking for to join the coaching team.”

3 Sept 2018
Chairman Peter Tom told the club website "We would like to thank Matt O’Connor for his hard work and commitment to the club in two spells at Welford Road, and we wish him and his family well for the future. Everyone at the club will fully support Geordan and the management group in driving the team forward"

18 December 2018
Chairman Peter Tom said: "Geordan knows this club as well as anyone. His leadership, enthusiasm and hard work during a challenging period have impressed us all. Geordan has his own vision of how to get the best out of the coaches and players around him, and now is the time for everyone to work together to help his plans come to fruition."

6 Jan 2019
Head Coach Geordan Murphy told Radio Leicester "We've been looking for a defence coach, Now Phil Blake’s come around and we're sorting out the final nuts and bolts of that. Phil can add a bit of attitude to our defence. Mike's (Ford) a good mate of mine. But it's pretty much a hypothetical question. I'm not sure in what role Mike would be coming in as. We meet for lots of coffees."

31 March 2019
Geordan Murphy will remain as Leicester Head Coach and retain control of team affairs. Murphy told the club website: " He (Mike Ford) is coming in for the rest of the season to add another experienced voice to the coaching group and has the full support of the coaches and backroom team."

26 June 2019
Chairman Peter Tom said: “Since the end of last season, we have been reviewing the club’s operations at many levels and see the expansion in the rugby department as vital in pushing forward. The demands in this area have grown enormously and we believe this new structure provides the best possible support for the coaching group and the players. Jan McGinty commented: “I see my role as supporting Geordan (Murphy) and all of the coaching staff in constructing the best squad possible within the confines of the salary cap.” Glynn will head the club’s scouting operation worldwide and focus on maintaining a clear performance pathway from the Developing Player Programme through to first-team squad as well as ensuring the club’s academy is the best it can be.”

20 August 2019
Mike Ford who has taken on the role of attack coach believes Tigers' players are 'buying into' the new philosophies being introduced by the club's coaching staff "It looks that way for us, it looks like we are improving, we are more organised and more detailed in what we are doing with better planning. The players are buying into new philosophies both in defence and attack."

18 December 2019
Tigers head coach Murphy said: “We’d like to thank Mark (Bakewell) for his hard work at the club over the last couple of seasons and we wish him well for the future.” Following Bakewell’s departure, coaching of the forwards will be led by Boris Stankovich and Brett Deacon, working alongside Murphy, Mike Ford (attack) and Phil Blake (defence) in the coaching team.

21 January 2020
Leicester chairman Peter Tom told the club website "The appointment of Steve Borthwick as head coach and Geordan Murphy in the role of director of rugby provides an exciting combination of leadership, expertise and experience to drive the club forward in its desire to challenge for major honours again," We look forward to Geordan and Steve leading that in their respective new roles." Geordan Murphy said "We’ve been building a lot of the foundations around leadership of recruitment and retention of the playing squad with Jan and the success of our academy structure, and we look forward to Steve's arrival to drive the playing squad onwards. Steve is a world-class coach with the skills and determination to get the best out of everyone around him." Steve Borthwick said, "we (Geordan and I) will be working together to ensure that there are many successful days ahead for this club, and for our supporters to enjoy."

4 May 2020
Phil Blake will be moving on as defence coach, Head Coach Geordan Murphy said “Phil has had a huge impact since he has been with us and we thank him and wish him well in the future”

6 May 2020
Tigers head coach Geordan Murphy, described it was a “significant” appointment for the club. “Aled is a world-renowned, world-class coach and we are excited to have joining us in Leicester,” Murphy also described the dual appointments of Walters and incoming head coach Steve Borthwick, working alongside Jan McGinity as Head of Recruitment as “game changers” for the club.

8 May 2020
Director of Rugby Geordan Murphy, said “Rob (Taylor’s) record in Australia and New Zealand at all levels is hugely impressive, he has been successful in all of his roles and we are confident his approach will complement what we have in our coaching ranks at the club for next season. It’s a new-look group and, with Mike Ford moving into defence where he has worked at the highest levels in the game, and the trio of additions in Steve, Rob and Aled, all adding their own unique skills and experience, with Brett and Boris we are more settled, feel we are a much better and balanced group to take the club forward.”

16 October 2020
Chairman Peter Tom thanked Stankovich for his contribution to Leicester Tigers “His contribution to our scrum, at all levels, cannot be ignored and on behalf of everyone at Leicester Tigers.” The club has begun the process to find a replacement scrum coach and, in the interim, Head Coach Steve Borthwick will take on the role.

3 November 2020
Tigers head coach Steve Borthwick thanked Rob Taylor for his contribution to the club “On behalf of the players, coaching team and everybody at Leicester Tigers, I thank Rob for his efforts and contribution to our club.”

13 November 2020
Tigers Chairman Peter Tom said “I want to express, on behalf of everybody at Leicester Tigers, my sincere gratitude to Geordan Murphy for all that he has done for our club for more than two decades,” said Tom. The club will not be recruiting to replace the Director of Rugby role but will now commence a recruitment process to identify candidates for a position in the organisation charged with overseeing the strategic vision and off-field responsibilities at Oval Park.

4th December 2020
Tigers' statement on his departure said: "Leicester Tigers can confirm that Jan McGinity will leave the club as head of elite performance recruitment. "As part of strategic change led by chief executive Andrea Pinchen, and alongside structural change regarding the role of Director of Rugby, resource is to be invested elsewhere in developing the club’s recruitment and retention function, and identifying the best available talent at all levels.

At a guess

21 March 2021

Peter Toms the Tiger's Chairman told the Leicester Website "We thank Steve Borthwick for the contribution he has made to Leicester Tigers, and wish him well for the future. We now intend to embark on a strategic review of the coaching set up. We have asked Pat Howard to undertake a 2nd strategic review. We feel we have implemented all his previous recommendation about the need for honesty and transparency.

Meanwhile

3 July 2009

"I am delighted to be joining Exeter Chiefs as backs coach" said Ali Hepher, who will be joining Rob Baxter who was appointed Director of Rugby in May.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Very sad all round
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Brilliant, Traveller. I agree with you, Chiefs management team has become stale and needs to take a leaf out our dynamic recruitment and retention book. They clearly haven't got a clue what they are doing.

3rd July really tickles me - "the structure of the backroom team has been finalised". Define "finalised"...

Joking aside, a new strategy every few months is not strategy at all, it's chaos.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Too much of a wendyball feel to it too for my liking but us fans have to acknowledge our part in that also...
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

I think it’s maybe time for the board to fronted up to all of us and give us the truth as to what is really happening and don’t fob us of with lame excuses.
I only wish that the owners down at the Kingpower would buy the Tigers and invest and establish a concrete foundation just like they have done with LCFC.
We need fresh ideas at board level, a proven CEO with a track record of on field and off field success.
It’s time for a new start to save this great club of ours before we disappear for good! :smt022
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

chappie wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:28 pm I think it’s maybe time for the board to fronted up to all of us and give us the truth as to what is really happening and don’t fob us of with lame excuses.
I only wish that the owners down at the Kingpower would buy the Tigers and invest and establish a concrete foundation just like they have done with LCFC.
We need fresh ideas at board level, a proven CEO with a track record of on field and off field success.
It’s time for a new start to save this great club of ours before we disappear for good! :smt022
CHAOS.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

jgrif :smt005 :smt005 fin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:41 pm
chappie wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:28 pm I think it’s maybe time for the board to fronted up to all of us and give us the truth as to what is really happening and don’t fob us of with lame excuses.
CHAOS.
CHAOS is a great description as to where we are as a club. :smt005 :smt005
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

chappie wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:47 pm
CHAOS.
I believe CHAOS is the new role we are recruiting for:

CHief Amateur Officer of Strategy. No prior experience or understanding of strategy required.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Personally would prefer the Fenway Group...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:53 pm
CHAOS.

CHief Amateur Officer of Strategy. No prior experience or understanding of strategy required.
'Strategy' only seems to extend to what we're doing by this time tomorrow.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:08 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:53 pm

'Strategy' only seems to extend to what we're doing by this time tomorrow.
Mmm. Not sure about that. Probably need to appoint someone to undertake a thorough strategic review of our practices, processes and procedures, organisational culture and ethos, in order to develop a strategic vision for the club. This will require whoever they appoint to develop a list of recommendations which can be put to the board. The Board can then develop an agreed action plan and criteria by which the implementation of the strategic plan can be evaluated within an agreed time frame (around midnight tonight). Hazarding a guess this will result in an exhaustive world wide search (where no stone will be left unturned) for a new Head Coach / or Director of Rugby (or both) and that person(s) will likely be Phil Blake, Richard Blaze, Matt O'Connor or Marcelo Loffreda.

If McGinity is leaving because the club can't afford him, because of the financial impact Covid is having. Then they should just say it. The Board and executive seem to imagine that they are the only grown up people in the room. That they are the only people who have any business experience.

I was so positive about the start of this season and it has taken less than a month to create yet another farce.