Re: Open Letter To The Board

Post by chappie »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:53 pm
chappie wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:47 pm
jgrif :smt005 :smt005 fin wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 4:41 pm
CHAOS.
CHAOS is a great description as to where we are as a club. :smt005 :smt005
I believe CHAOS is the new role we are recruiting for:

CHief Amateur Officer of Strategy. No prior experience or understanding of strategy required.
Love it :smt023 :smt005
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

The way this Club is being run, I wonder if BT Sport will bill this weekend's clash with Exeter as...

Cowboys vs Indians?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Is it good business form for a company to publicly come out and say we are very hard up, most will try to hide that fact in order to stop the vultures circling and result in grossly devaluing their assets? One generally knows what it means if a company says they are Restructuring. :smt022
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:17 pm Is it good business form for a company to publicly come out and say we are very hard up, most will try to hide that fact in order to stop the vultures circling and result in grossly devaluing their assets? One generally knows what it means if a company says they are Restructuring. :smt022
This isn't really a normal situation. All the Premiership clubs have been pleading poverty for months to try and beg for handouts from the government. Why would they try to pretend otherwise now? :smt017

Regardless, the club said immediately that the "resource" saved by losing McGinity would be reinvested, so how exactly can this be a cost cutting measure?
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

LE18 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:17 pm Is it good business form for a company to publicly come out and say we are very hard up, most will try to hide that fact in order to stop the vultures circling and result in grossly devaluing their assets? One generally knows what it means if a company says they are Restructuring. :smt022
Sorry, are you seriously asking what a well run businesses would do? If so I refer you to my earlier rather lengthy post.
Coleshillad
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Coleshillad »

Well said :smt038
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

This would be a good time to form some sort of official supporter group/trust?
This would be a direct way for us the fans to have an official voice on club matters a bit like some of the Football clubs have in this country.
By having an official supporters group the board would have to invite that group’s representatives to the AGM.
Just a thought :smt001
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

chappie wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:54 pm This would be a good time to form some sort of official supporter group/trust?
This would be a direct way for us the fans to have an official voice on club matters a bit like some of the Football clubs have in this country.
By having an official supporters group the board would have to invite that group’s representatives to the AGM.
Just a thought :smt001
..at last!!!
I tend to find most posters tend to voice their dismay and are willing to accept the rubbish spouted by Tom.
Time to have a voice and make a difference.
Having read Travellers post it is clear to see the Common Denominator, with no means to gain any admission of failure, we lack the power to bring this all to a halt.
We need to exert pressure in order to regain this club and bring back our integrity.
aslongaswebeatsaints
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by aslongaswebeatsaints »

I read in a management article once that strategies for future success often include (1) embracing failure, (2) actively listening and being open minded, and (3) getting your hands dirty.

......I wonder when we start (2) and (3) :smt017
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:31 pm I read in a management article once that strategies for future success often include (1) embracing failure, (2) actively listening and being open minded, and (3) getting your hands dirty.

......I wonder when we start (2) and (3) :smt017
...I think the Boards hands, are all over number 3.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:17 pm Dear Mr Tom,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your service to Leicester Tigers thus far, and in the future. Your commitment to the club has been longstanding and I am led to believe that members of the board have personally supported the club during the challenges of 2020. For this I am grateful.

That said, as a supporter of the club across 4 decades, I cannot accept the explanations given for recent events - particularly when they are framed within promises of honesty, transparency and clarity. Too many senior people have jumped or been pushed in a short space of time with little explanation other than "strategy". This is not enough. You cannot simply throw the word "strategy" at every question you don't want to answer and expect your fans to buy it. I understand that there are some things that you legally or ethically cannot disclose - fine, but just say so.

Todays announcement regarding the departure of Jan McGinity, who has revitalised our recruitment, just doesn't sit right. From the outside, it seems as though he has excelled in his role and added huge value to the club. If the strategy was that we did not need a Head of Elite Recruitment for 6 months of every year, should I assume that he was made aware of that from the start? When Geordan Murphy signed his final contract with the club, was he made aware that it was only intended to be for one year?

We understand that Covid has hit Tigers hard and we realise that the club will continue to have to make tough choices. But if that's the case, just tell us. Don't hide behind an imagined shield of "strategy" - we will not think worse of you for reacting to changing circumstances in 2020, we are all having to do it in our own businesses.

The picture being painted (over some years, and coming to a head now) is not one of an organisation that cares about it's people. I appreciate that the world of professional sport can be brutal, but surely there is a better way than this? If the club does not care about it's people, regardless of length of service or performance, I am left wondering whether it cares about me as a supporter. Loyalty is a two way street.

If everything that happens is part of a great strategy then why not publish the strategy? I would imagine that an organisation of the size and prominence as Leicester Tigers would have written down it's strategy. Share it with us, engage us, bring us along on the journey. Redact parts or names that you should not include for reasons of legality, ethics, or competition. Or don't publish it, but please, stop flinging the word "strategy" around as if it alone explains seemingly random decisions; it explains nothing.

I beg you to stop using words like "transparency" if you are not going to live them. Rugby fans are educated people, treat them as such. As leaders the worst thing you can be is of low or non-existent behavioural integrity, particularly when discussing honesty and transparency.

I hope that we will receive reassurances from the club that allow me to continue attending games at Mattioli Woods Welford Road, occasionally purchasing merchandising and paying for a BT Sports subscription solely to watch Tigers when I cannot get to games.

Best Wishes,

A Tigers Fan.

P.S. If I am in the minority and my views are not mirrored by other fans, please feel free to ignore me!
Any reply from them yet?
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

LE18 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:25 pm
Tiglon wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:17 pm Dear Mr Tom,

Firstly I would like to thank you for your service to Leicester Tigers thus far, and in the future. Your commitment to the club has been longstanding and I am led to believe that members of the board have personally supported the club during the challenges of 2020. For this I am grateful.

That said, as a supporter of the club across 4 decades, I cannot accept the explanations given for recent events - particularly when they are framed within promises of honesty, transparency and clarity. Too many senior people have jumped or been pushed in a short space of time with little explanation other than "strategy". This is not enough. You cannot simply throw the word "strategy" at every question you don't want to answer and expect your fans to buy it. I understand that there are some things that you legally or ethically cannot disclose - fine, but just say so.

Todays announcement regarding the departure of Jan McGinity, who has revitalised our recruitment, just doesn't sit right. From the outside, it seems as though he has excelled in his role and added huge value to the club. If the strategy was that we did not need a Head of Elite Recruitment for 6 months of every year, should I assume that he was made aware of that from the start? When Geordan Murphy signed his final contract with the club, was he made aware that it was only intended to be for one year?

We understand that Covid has hit Tigers hard and we realise that the club will continue to have to make tough choices. But if that's the case, just tell us. Don't hide behind an imagined shield of "strategy" - we will not think worse of you for reacting to changing circumstances in 2020, we are all having to do it in our own businesses.

The picture being painted (over some years, and coming to a head now) is not one of an organisation that cares about it's people. I appreciate that the world of professional sport can be brutal, but surely there is a better way than this? If the club does not care about it's people, regardless of length of service or performance, I am left wondering whether it cares about me as a supporter. Loyalty is a two way street.

If everything that happens is part of a great strategy then why not publish the strategy? I would imagine that an organisation of the size and prominence as Leicester Tigers would have written down it's strategy. Share it with us, engage us, bring us along on the journey. Redact parts or names that you should not include for reasons of legality, ethics, or competition. Or don't publish it, but please, stop flinging the word "strategy" around as if it alone explains seemingly random decisions; it explains nothing.

I beg you to stop using words like "transparency" if you are not going to live them. Rugby fans are educated people, treat them as such. As leaders the worst thing you can be is of low or non-existent behavioural integrity, particularly when discussing honesty and transparency.

I hope that we will receive reassurances from the club that allow me to continue attending games at Mattioli Woods Welford Road, occasionally purchasing merchandising and paying for a BT Sports subscription solely to watch Tigers when I cannot get to games.

Best Wishes,

A Tigers Fan.

P.S. If I am in the minority and my views are not mirrored by other fans, please feel free to ignore me!
Any reply from them yet?
I’m sure one of the moderators could forward this thread onto Mr Tom and the CEO?
SydneySevens

Post by SydneySevens »

Wot, no reply - no surprises there then ! It's the SOS...as per the old and outdated style of managing mushrooms !!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:25 pm Any reply from them yet?
Nope. Not holding my breath.
Ilsontiger1725
Tiger Cub

Post by Ilsontiger1725 »

Why would you expect a reply from Peter Tom? He just sees you as "a bunch of keyboard warriors". As supporters, we just don't count. Never have, never will.