McGinity off

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: McGinity off

Post by strawclearer »

Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:13 pm Is Dusty Hare not scouting for new players?
I thought he was one of those made redundant.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 pm
Tigerbeat wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:13 pm Is Dusty Hare not scouting for new players?
I thought he was one of those made redundant.
I was not aware of that.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Sam, Sam!! Are you there? We desperately need an LTTV special to see how they try to explain this one.......even if you have to host it from Oz.
Shortbloke66

Post by Shortbloke66 »

I’ve tried looking at this both ways (I.e. as per debating club argue the positive and negative), but for me this is overwhelmingly bad (and is a very bad signal, if I was a shareholder not a supporter I’d be selling - as a supporter you’re stuck it’s emotional not financial)
So why would you (in a “positive” scenario) lose mcginty? If he needed to leave for personal reasons (no hint of that), we don’t need to recruit for a significant period (very remote, not credible reason), or poor performance (personally based on what I’ve seen on LTTV and the quality of his recruits - If I was CEO I’d class him as a top performer 9/10), cost saving (top performer, I’d look elsewhere for savings) I really can’t think of another good reason to lose him
More generally, large turnover was understandable (a clearout was needed IMO), I fully support borthwick appointment and he needs to be given time, it looked as though a coherent and quality coaching team were being put together with a, dare I say it, “a plan”, and while I had immense sadness over smurf I could put a rationale together to justify.
Now there are just too many departures (sackings, jumping ship whatever) to think this is a club with common goal (compare against chiefs and their staff/player turnover, and risky thing to say here -also sarries (cheats))
Even my ten year old (season ticket also) is shaking his head
Shortbloke66
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 pm Best guess...

Clubs plans were based on crowds coming back January or earlier and that the government support was less than hoped for.

Result is that further costs have to be cut and the Club are protecting the playing squad as much as possible.

Basically we are losing money and can’t afford to do anything but cut overheads and unfortunately I guess Jan’s was towards the upper end of the scale on the non-playing side.

Not saying it is the right decision but i imagine there will be more pain to come unless fans and other cash generating corporate activities are allowed back soon.
Could be, but then why not just say so? Some departures have been explained as cost cutting in response to covid, others haven't. It's the easy answer, no one would blame the club, yet they purposefully haven't used it in some cases. Instead, they put it down to strategy, nothing at all, or personal reasons.
Shortbloke66

Post by Shortbloke66 »

MCC1964 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:39 pm Sam, Sam!! Are you there? We desperately need an LTTV special to see how they try to explain this one.......even if you have to host it from Oz.
I agree. Define they one for Sam to try to get to the bottom of (faint hope)
P.s. Sam get your hair cut
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

MCC1964 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:39 pm Sam, Sam!! Are you there? We desperately need an LTTV special to see how they try to explain this one.......even if you have to host it from Oz.
Will Sam stay in Oz - is his trip out there a one way ticket?! I :censored: hope not. They'll be getting rid of the kit man next! How the heck can we expect the players to put in a solid performance week in week out with all these sudden exits from the club. I thought McGinty negotiated all the players contracts - whose going to do that now? Borthwick won't have time.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Maybe he resigned to go elsewhere and was invited to clear his desk? I’m sure all will be revealed in due course. Patience, boys and girls!
Semper in excretia
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

& of course Jan presumably can work for another club.....
Does anyone know why Bondi is back in Oz when he should be working?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

"Strategy, journey, review, transparency, honesty".

Pat each other on the back for ticking all the key word boxes, LTTV special done. :smt023
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Thanks for the terrific work you did Jan. All the best for you and your family.
It’s always sad to see people leave when they have proved themselves to be very professional.
However, in the last few seasons, with the club being in such turmoil,
it maybe that the Board will give Steve Borthwick the chance to get a set up that he believes will give the club the best chance of moving forward.
Some fans have moaned that Tigers needed a clearout: now it’s being done.
At the moment, apart from Bath, Bristol and Exeter, all teams have to somehow survive, financially, until crowds return.
The City and County Covid situation isn’t helping.
The reality is crowds returning in a viable way for Tigers is a long way off.
This season is as much about the survival of the club off the field as it is on it.
Peter Tom is an astute, successful businessman who is more qualified than myself to know how to ensure Tigers is a club that is around in the future.
Only time will tell if tough decisions made now will achieve the first goal: survival!
Good luck Tigers and for the rest of the season.
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Ian - I also read comments about needing a clear out, but to get rid of Boris and Jan is suicidal in my opinion. I really don't think the way the upper echelons at the club feel the same way as someone who is a lifelong fan through thick and thin. Obviously it is a business and has to run as such, but it just hurts me so much, I think much more than some of them who just see it as a business.

There is (was) so much to love about the Club, 2 of the brightest lights were Jan and Boris. Not sure how this affects the players..........
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I am trying hard to make sense of recent happenings. It maybe that decisions are being taken on purely financial grounds due to the pandemic if so the Board will have asked themselves not " who do we want to get rid of" but " who can we manage without.
I was surprised by Geordan's short tenure as Director of Rugby but as I had difficulty understanding just what the job involved if Jan McGinity was doing half of what I perceived as the role I was not shocked that his job ceased to exist. Now McGinity has gone, our head coach presumably is taking sole charge of affairs for the first team and project signings. We do have precedence, Bob Dwyer headed up coaching and recruitment, as did Dean Richards (although he didn't actually coach), Pat Howard and Richard Cockerill worked the jobs between them and I think Cocker would have liked to continue that way but I believe Ged Glynn and Simon Cohen became involved more than Cocker was happy with.
It is for sure that the Head coach has to continually assess his squad including development, be aware of areas that need improvement and of potential players to fill the gaps either from within or external recruitment.
I do know that it is probably not necessary to travel the world seeking talent, agents are continually offering evidence of their clients abilities, and with the amount of games televised these days it is relatively easy to check actual skills an thus target recruitment.
It appears Mr Borthwick is being given the freedom to establish his own team, whether that is by choice or financial necessity remains to be seen. Improvement on the pitch is becoming even more essential to our club, we are beyond just avoiding relegation to show improvement, we need to see signs that we are ready to challenge for silverware imminently.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:33 pm Best guess...

Clubs plans were based on crowds coming back January or earlier and that the government support was less than hoped for.

Result is that further costs have to be cut and the Club are protecting the playing squad as much as possible.

Basically we are losing money and can’t afford to do anything but cut overheads and unfortunately I guess Jan’s was towards the upper end of the scale on the non-playing side.

Not saying it is the right decision but i imagine there will be more pain to come unless fans and other cash generating corporate activities are allowed back soon.
I think you are probably 100% right with this Dunc, I've felt for sometime now the club is very hard up, but it's trying to protect the players. If compensation has to be paid to Manu and Eastmond etc, then the club may have to find a lot of money.
Re Sam in Australia, has he been furloughed or quietly been made redundant, I wouldn't expect to see him back, his work is not 100% necessary.
I am just wishing that I had not torn up our 2 voting slips for the AGM, We did this not really knowing which/who the Directors are and not wishing to donate our votes to an unknown proxy. This would have been our first vote as we never previously, over many years of holding shares, advised our new address to the Share people.
Something is very worrying as to what is happening. :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Part of Cohen's role was player contracts I presume, hence part of the reason for a change of CEO as workload overlaps with McGinity.
DOR role to be scrapped again as role partially overlaps with McGinity.
Now McGinity goes because??????

Who at the club now has real experience in negotiating player contracts & dealing with agents.

I am beginning to worry what the next announcement might be...

There is a bit of a smell around the club at present & it isn't a pleasant one.
To win is not as important as playing with style!