Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: McGinity off

Post by Dokie »

WirralExile wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:04 pm
Tigersunited wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:53 pm In these times a sensible cost saving.
True - especially when reading the club statement "The decision has been taken now, with recruitment finalised for 2020/21, to allow the new team led by head coach Steve Borthwick to have the best possible opportunities, time and resource in looking ahead to strengthening the squad for the future." As recruitment appears to be done for this season, the role of "head of elite performance recruitment" would not be doing a lot for at least a few months.

However, I do have concerns though - we are approaching the end of the calendar year, the current season will be over in just over 6 months time and surely we will be looking to strengthen the squad in the close season, due to age, performance, injury or some other reason. Unless all of the current squad have signed contracts taking them through to the end of next season and the Academy players are showing promising signs of stepping up to the senior squad, this is surely a move that will bite us. Who is acting as a scout or similar?
Talks with current players tend to start around now, especially with those out of contract at the end of this season. Recruitment talks with agents for new signings start from the 1st of January and most deals are signed by the end of Feb. Where this sits with the club statement about not doing a lot for months, who knows.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Slow down here!!!
This may just be the consolidation of the new (new) regime.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Talks with players have already started, don’t believe any of that “wait until 1st Jan rubbish.” It’s a bizarre decision. We’re going to lose some players, who are replacing them ? Or more to the point, who is looking at who is out there ?
SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Post by SASCOkid »

It's a worry. This is the new open and transparent regime.........
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:55 pm There is some sort of purge going on & it doesn't sit right, Murphy & McGinity were the 2 who apparently got us through the lockdown & the contract hassles, yet now both kicked out, I worry now who us going to get the not DOR role.
How long before Aled decides that South Wales looks nice?
If he does he's deluded! :censored: awful here.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

Crikey, will there be anyone left? Is Borthwick going to recruit as well?

I know there are financial implications due to Covid but this is getting ridiculous - they'll be no one left soon.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Big Dai wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:12 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:55 pm There is some sort of purge going on & it doesn't sit right, Murphy & McGinity were the 2 who apparently got us through the lockdown & the contract hassles, yet now both kicked out, I worry now who us going to get the not DOR role.
Steady on lad, there's always Gower.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

He was one of the few people left I trusted and believed. How many commented on here, on a variety of threads, sang his praises and contacts. I have backed the club in most of their recent decisions, but this one stinks. He was one of the 2 people I was trusting to take this club forward and he has now gone. Will we ever find out why? I don't think so but what I do know is that I am going to take a lot of flack from the Saints supporters in Braybrooke where I live and I haven't got an answer for them. Is this the last one to leave? Not sure but I have to say, it would not surprise me if there were more. A very sad day
Hehehehehehehehe
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:23 pm
Big Dai wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:12 pm
Steady on lad, there's always Gower.
True..... But there's no pint watching the sunset!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Everyone knows recruitment is an all year round business, so who is doing the work now or are we planning on making no signings for the 21/22 season. A day, week or month out the recruitment game is a massive loss to the club.
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

What the deuce is going on? They should make a TV soap opera about the goings on at our club. Unbelievable! :smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Is Dusty Hare not scouting for new players?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Dangerous4 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:11 pm What the deuce is going on? They should make a TV soap opera about the goings on at our club. Unbelievable! :smt017 :smt017 :smt017 :smt017
Actually, come to think of it, a horror film would be more suitable.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I have had a season ticket since 1984 and have never considered giving it up but Tigers are now severely testing my resolve. Just when you thought the chopping and changing had finally ended this happens. The supporters need to know what is going on and what the plan is otherwise there won’t be many of us left :smt013
A2O
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Best guess...

Clubs plans were based on crowds coming back January or earlier and that the government support was less than hoped for.

Result is that further costs have to be cut and the Club are protecting the playing squad as much as possible.

Basically we are losing money and can’t afford to do anything but cut overheads and unfortunately I guess Jan’s was towards the upper end of the scale on the non-playing side.

Not saying it is the right decision but i imagine there will be more pain to come unless fans and other cash generating corporate activities are allowed back soon.