Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Is it defence that's the issue?

Post by jgriffin »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... -breakdown

I've got to be honest, if we went back to the 'way we were' with tackle clear-outs, rucking etc, fold-in scrum formation (with straight put-ins and real hooking), fewer subs and a real offside line, I would be more likely to cheer the often turgid games. In my day turgid games were much better turgid games!!! :smt004
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Is it defence that's the issue?

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:19 pm https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... -breakdown

I've got to be honest, if we went back to the 'way we were' with tackle clear-outs, rucking etc, fold-in scrum formation (with straight put-ins and real hooking), fewer subs and a real offside line, I would be more likely to cheer the often turgid games. In my day turgid games were much better turgid games!!! :smt004
:smt023
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

strawclearer wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:33 pm
jgriffin wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:19 pm https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... -breakdown

:smt023
:smt023 :smt023
Semper in excretia
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I believe I still have some scars from old fashioned rucking, you didn't lay offside for long did you.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

So that's what they are, I thought they were stretch marks. biggest problem with the old days was that after a really good shoeing it was often necessary to replace your studs.
Louis

Post by Louis »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:48 pm So that's what they are, I thought they were stretch marks. biggest problem with the old days was that after a really good shoeing it was often necessary to replace your studs.
Or at least ask the other chap to pull them out of his leg and give them back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

How else do you get the mud off your boots?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tigerburnie wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:42 pm I believe I still have some scars from old fashioned rucking, you didn't lay offside for long did you.
I once borrowed a shirt from a team mate (the club shirts were minging). 20 mins in got a shoeing. The strips of remaining shirt were not happily received, and I ended up cadging the money off my foster parents to pay for a new one. He virtually never talked to me again. Gary, you were a :censored:. :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Games were turgid because the ball got stuck in mauls and rucks and the new law interpretations were designed to prevent the endless resets/ restarts. I agree that playing the old way and enforcing the immediate release (which was always the law) would be great. Players are fitter now. I think some of the slowness in the old game was due to people wanting a breather. Certainly, at my college , we had a tennis court with a high mesh fence next to the pitch and only one visible match ball. Hoofing it into the tennis court which had only one entrance was certain to give us a break. Of course, other match balls could be revealed if we were in a hurry .
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Old Hob wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:33 pm Games were turgid because the ball got stuck in mauls and rucks and the new law interpretations were designed to prevent the endless resets/ restarts. I agree that playing the old way and enforcing the immediate release (which was always the law) would be great. Players are fitter now. I think some of the slowness in the old game was due to people wanting a breather. Certainly, at my college , we had a tennis court with a high mesh fence next to the pitch and only one visible match ball. Hoofing it into the tennis court which had only one entrance was certain to give us a break. Of course, other match balls could be revealed if we were in a hurry .
"Games were turgid because the ball got stuck in mauls and rucks" often because the balls were leather that absorbed the rainwater & puddles. However I do recall Gilbert's brought out a trial white latex grip coated leather ball that was great.
It is not only the defence that's the issue at Tigers it is the loss of key staff - Jan McGinity today is a great, great loss as I had confidence in his ability to recruit and manage the players contracts & the Tigers cap. :smt010
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

Nothing wrong with the defence in that first half :smt023
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

chappie wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:49 pm Nothing wrong with the defence in that first half :smt023
:smt023 :smt023