Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

George Martin Updated

Post by RagingBull »

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/spor ... ws-4756808

Sounds like the time frame is still around the start of next year.

"The timing was unfortunate for him, for us, for everyone and it was a tough period in the immediacy after he did the knee against Irish.

“He had impressed from the first day we returned to training in June and, for a 19-year-old, was standing out among senior, more experienced players, which earned him the opportunities he got when we began playing again."

Thought this was interesting.

Will be interesting where he might fit in once he has recovered. Personally would quite like to see him and Lavanini as a partnership at lock, but would be hard to drop Wells.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: George Martin Updated

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Very impressed by Martin, like Steward I could see him nailing down a role in the starting XV by the end of the season assuming he returns firing on all cylinders.

I like Wells and Green, both are great club players but think we could do with some more quality in the second row department, something Martin could provide going forwards.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Worth pointing out for those that don't read the article, the quote above about him impressing is from Murphy, not Borthwick.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing what Martin can do when he returns - hopefully he can push for that place alongside Lavanini.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

I’m guilty of changing the topic a bit but it is linked...

Anyone got news on Enever? Is he now down at 5-6th choice for 2nd row or is he injured or recovering?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Whilst being a fan, expecting a 19 year old who was playing level 4 rugby with Leicester Lions last season to be pushing for a starting spot in the second row in the Premiership is a tad over optimistic.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:58 pm Whilst being a fan, expecting a 19 year old who was playing level 4 rugby with Leicester Lions last season to be pushing for a starting spot in the second row in the Premiership is a tad over optimistic.
That's too sensible.
Being over optimistic allows folk to blame the coaches when we lose, and we can't do that as it would be weird not to sack at least one coach a season. :smt003
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:58 pm Whilst being a fan, expecting a 19 year old who was playing level 4 rugby with Leicester Lions last season to be pushing for a starting spot in the second row in the Premiership is a tad over optimistic.
I agree, youth and serious injury isn't the combination to push into a regular first team place from.

He did look to the manor born in his brief chance pre injury. If he can get some more game time this season and build his experience then that will be the best thing for his development. Good pre season next year and then he can start looking at making an impression and pushing for inclusion.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

He is IMO the brightest of 3 very bright prospects we have at lock (others are Henderson and Chessum).

Once fit I would like to see him start to get some game time, we obviously need to manage him carefully but if we can keep him injury free for the rest of the season that would be a massive plus to the depth of our squad.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I have read through this thread again and still can't find anyone saying that they expect Martin to be able to push for a starting place.

I said I hope Martin can push for it, but that's a rather different thing, isn't it?

:smt017

Generally, when the best players break through it happens very quickly.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Great prospect ,but needs time - especially after injury.Remember too the/his role is highly demanding physically learning and development is of massive importance.Would be happy to see him ready for selection , if selected - so to speak.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....