Tigers v Chiefs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Chiefs

Post by mol2 »

We have at least gone from a side that had a stellar back line but a pack that was incapable of delivering the ball to them to a side who can defend, compete up front without our international players. However the backs are uninspiring with the exception of our full back who looks a star in the making. The rest are ordinary.
Our fly half frankly looks clueless.
Centres are slower than a Morris Minor and the wings are plodders.
Nadolo will add power in attack but we need some gas if we are to make use of the forwards.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 pm We have at least gone from a side that had a stellar back line but a pack that was incapable of delivering the ball to them to a side who can defend, compete up front without our international players. However the backs are uninspiring with the exception of our full back who looks a star in the making. The rest are ordinary.
Nadolo will add power in attack but we need some gas if we are to make use of the forwards.
Van Wyk is quick as is Murimurivalu. Potter is no slouch either to be fair
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

What happens to Tigers when they get on the bus to travel away, these first 3 games have been so different,? Away, terrible, home certainly looked far from a poor team, 100+% effort, helter-skelter today to cover and tackle, impossible to keep that up for 80 mins, especially when the captain Tom was taken off so early, he must be so disappointed that the second half went so much against us.
Everyone is disappointed with the ref, is there a ref that we like, week after week we criticise them, if they are not officiating who will do the job, we cant have Wayne every week?
I really disagree with the complaints about Henry, he seems to get more confident each game he plays, he had a good game and his score would not have counted as our player was on his back and way out in touch! I cannot believe that it was not called immediately. Yes play to the whistle but TMO would certainly have overruled any score.
I have liked what I have seen in the 2 home games and am confident when we get our front row back we will beat many other teams, not sure how much extra our returning half backs will make, sure it will be some, but at FH it seems to be getting more and more physical, will George be up to that? You saw how Simmons is so strong and robust for Exeter, they are certainly some team, how do they manage it, apart from some cheating, with so many reserves in the team? One area I would pick out is the speed and strength in their running backs blasting into our defence.
Enjoyed the game, sad about the result but generally loads of improvement, just hope we take some travel sickness pills for on the bus next match.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:41 pm Cole came back from the World Cup and demonstrated the lack of energy of many of our squad and has maintained that.
I'm not sure how to interpret this, Cole has lack of energy and maintained it? :smt017
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:44 pm What happens to Tigers when they get on the bus to travel away, these first 3 games have been so different,? Away, terrible, home certainly looked far from a poor team, 100+% effort, helter-skelter today to cover and tackle, impossible to keep that up for 80 mins, especially when the captain Tom was taken off so early, he must be so disappointed that the second half went so much against us.
Everyone is disappointed with the ref, is there a ref that we like, week after week we criticise them, if they are not officiating who will do the job, we cant have Wayne every week?
I really disagree with the complaints about Henry, he seems to get more confident each game he plays, he had a good game and his score would not have counted as our player was on his back and way out in touch! I cannot believe that it was not called immediately. Yes play to the whistle but TMO would certainly have overruled any score.
I have liked what I have seen in the 2 home games and am confident when we get our front row back we will beat many other teams, not sure how much extra our returning half backs will make, sure it will be some, but at FH it seems to be getting more and more physical, will George be up to that? You saw how Simmons is so strong and robust for Exeter, they are certainly some team, how do they manage it, apart from some cheating, with so many reserves in the team? One area I would pick out is the speed and strength in their running backs blasting into our defence.
Enjoyed the game, sad about the result but generally loads of improvement, just hope we take some travel sickness pills for on the bus next match.
Even when we do get Wayne, the comments are often that he isn't up to his usual standard. Unless we win, of course. There is a bit too much sour grapes on here when it comes to referees, but I guess that's just a symptom of the bitter disappointment of no longer being the best team in the country.

How do Exeter manage it? The moment that stood out for me was when one of their players had to scramble back to collect the ball, he was all alone with 2/3 Tigers bearing down on him and looked a dead cert to be turned over. All of a sudden 4 Chiefs have arrived from nowhere, at pace and from exactly the right angle to clear out and secure possession. Tigers (and many other teams) would have 100% conceded a penalty or try in that situation. It's that supreme organisation and clarity in every player's head about where he needs to be and what he needs to do. Very impressive coaching and takes a lot of discipline from the players to implement so well and so consistently.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:57 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:44 pm What happens to Tigers when they get on the bus to travel away, these first 3 games have been so different,? Away, terrible, home certainly looked far from a poor team, 100+% effort, helter-skelter today to cover and tackle, impossible to keep that up for 80 mins, especially when the captain Tom was taken off so early, he must be so disappointed that the second half went so much against us.
Even when we do get Wayne, the comments are often that he isn't up to his usual standard. Unless we win, of course. There is a bit too much sour grapes on here when it comes to referees, but I guess that's just a symptom of the bitter disappointment of no longer being the best team in the country.

How do Exeter manage it? The moment that stood out for me was when one of their players had to scramble back to collect the ball, he was all alone with 2/3 Tigers bearing down on him and looked a dead cert to be turned over. All of a sudden 4 Chiefs have arrived from nowhere, at pace and from exactly the right angle to clear out and secure possession. Tigers (and many other teams) would have 100% conceded a penalty or try in that situation. It's that supreme organisation and clarity in every player's head about where he needs to be and what he needs to do. Very impressive coaching and takes a lot of discipline from the players to implement so well and so consistently.
I was trying to be charitable and say there is 1 ref that we like, but you are right we have complained about Wayne so there are Non. Oh dear where are we going to find these 100% refs who make no mistakes and don't contribute to us losing?
Last edited by LE18 on Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:41 pm
mol2 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:25 pm We have at least gone from a side that had a stellar back line but a pack that was incapable of delivering the ball to them to a side who can defend, compete up front without our international players. However the backs are uninspiring with the exception of our full back who looks a star in the making. The rest are ordinary.
Van Wyk is quick as is Murimurivalu. Potter is no slouch either to be fair
Simmons and Williams are our quickest wings, followed by Potter and Van Wyk. Muri offers lots of attributes but speed isn’t one of them.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It's the basic lack of ability of the officials as an entity is frankly embarrassing for the sport.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 pm

I was trying to be charitable and say there is 1 ref that we like, but you are right we have complained about Wayne so there are Non. Oh dear where are we going to find these 100% refs who make no mistakes and don't contribute to us loosing?
Agree the sniping on here is so pathetic at times. Barnes is clearly top of the pile, followed by Pearce and Carley. Never understood the hate of some for Pearce on here. Ridley, Dickson and Makepeace are at the next level, with Maxwell, Tempest and Foley needing to be replaced. Doyle leaving made no sense along with Maxwell being given the prem final.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Maxwell was given the Final at the last moment as Barnes tested positive for Covid.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:57 pm Maxwell was given the Final at the last moment as Barnes tested positive for Covid.
But why ahead of Ridley etc
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

The irony of the Chiefs message board moaning that we were slowing the game down. Cue Townsend putting 5 men in a caterpillar and taking 15 seconds to get the ball away. I gave up on the offside...blatant taking off before the ball comes out.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

50-55mins of excellent work (despite CMK ) by tigers followed by 25 mins of disruption and indecision.
The end result flattered Chiefs.
Rob Baxter although happy with the result will be fuming that plan A did not go to plan.
I was happy that we put in a huge defensive effort. Some players stood out and stood up.
Some need to take a good hard look at themselves.
If we progress on these foundations I see brighter things.Do we need a better attack YES.Its yhe difference between winning with a bonus point or a losing with a bonus point. Then the table looks after itself.
Its always the case some overseas players just cannot adapt to Prem or need a season or two to bed in. Can we afford the wait?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Thought overall bench strength was telling and the refereeing at Scrum time, breakdown and ruck was to say the least inconsistent.The inconsistencies did us no favors - but no excuses.
Both of our Fly Halves need to take long, hard looks at their respective displays Vs Exeter for the wrong (in)decisions at the wrong times proved both fatal and costly.There were positives , but unfortunately no points.
As a team and as players individually we have to learn and appreciate that margins for error are small, but carry massive consequences.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dokie wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:46 pm
LE18 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:11 pm

I was trying to be charitable and say there is 1 ref that we like, but you are right we have complained about Wayne so there are Non. Oh dear where are we going to find these 100% refs who make no mistakes and don't contribute to us loosing?
Agree the sniping on here is so pathetic at times. Barnes is clearly top of the pile, followed by Pearce and Carley. Never understood the hate of some for Pearce on here. Ridley, Dickson and Makepeace are at the next level, with Maxwell, Tempest and Foley needing to be replaced. Doyle leaving made no sense along with Maxwell being given the prem final.
I thought Pearce did a fantastic job Friday night. Didn't allow players to dawdle at scrum and lineout. Very vocal about scrum halfs using the ball with no catepillars allowed to be formed. I hoped we'd see more of that yesterday but alas no. I hope Pearce continues to ref like that going forward and isn't pushed into line with the rest of them again as it was a breath of fresh air and made the game better.