JP14
Super User
Super User

Re: Matera hero to zero

Post by JP14 »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:58 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:23 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:06 am

Argentinians are annoyed at how the Argentine rugby team paid their respects to Maradona.
So people looked into various rugby players past stuff.
Just curious, how come Argentinians were annoyed at the Pumas for this?
Well because whilst Argentina players wore black armbands the All blacks went into the middle of the pitch and laid a shirt with maradona's name on it.

Also got to realise how deep the rugby and football divide is in Argentina.
Ahhh right okay I understand.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:46 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:22 pm Parties involved have apologised, what they said was horrific and wrong, UAR have done the right thing by showing zero tolerance for this sort of behaviour, doesn’t matter if it the posts were written 10 minutes or 10 years ago.
Of course it matters! Good job you’re not a judge or work on the parole board 😂👍
That’s new didn’t know a judge had a time limit to rule on a crime...
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:32 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:22 pm Parties involved have apologised, what they said was horrific and wrong, UAR have done the right thing by showing zero tolerance for this sort of behaviour, doesn’t matter if it the posts were written 10 minutes or 10 years ago.
Of course it matters! Good job you’re not a judge or work on the parole board 😂👍
you've never heard of a Statute of limitations?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:51 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:32 pm

you've never heard of a Statute of limitations?
They only exist in the UK for below Magistrate level crimes. However this doesn’t really relate much to the topic in hand, although the tweets were only discovered after a vengeful dig by angry football fans, they were still tweeted and were pretty shocking if reports are to be believed. You can’t tweet something like that and not face the consequences in my view.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I think Lavanini has responded to today’s events in an instagram story but I couldn’t copy & paste to translate.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Matera wants to feel lucky anyone takes notice.
Santa hasn't ever responded to anything that I write.
You have to be so careful what you write.
I asked for something rugby related last year and got a book about Eddie Jones.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

People may change as well as times...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

I find all this, the 'woke' garbage and the efforts to rub out history, just because it may cause offence today, all rather worrying. I was always taught to learn from history and the wrongdoings of the past and be mindful of others. Actions like this are yet another nick taken out of free-speech and democracy. I would guess we all have some 'skeletons in the cupboard' as we have grown up in an ever-changing society? One of the principles to remove democracy is to dismantle its history and freedom to debate. While I do not condone what Matera said or did, it was seven years ago and I was not there to discuss. I see De-Montfort is in trouble. What is the next step, dig him up like Cromwell and execute him - the mind boggles!!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Surely a punishment for Matera's tweets is learning from his past mistakes?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Surely an erasure of history would be Matera deleting the tweet, and getting away scot-free from any punishment as well nobody knowing about it?

Actions have consequences, if you think the UAR is infested with "wokery" then you have simply lost the plot!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Does Matera still hold the same fundamental opinions as 7 years ago? Only he knows.

But let's assume he does, then it may make him think more deeply.

If he doesn't it's a good opportunity for a clear out and to clearly say so.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

JP14 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:22 am Surely an erasure of history would be Matera deleting the tweet, and getting away scot-free from any punishment as well nobody knowing about it?

Actions have consequences, if you think the UAR is infested with "wokery" then you have simply lost the plot!
I hate the term 'woke', now a convenient dismissal of issues, like 'too PC'. History is there to learn from and adjust our understanding of the present, both at a personal and a political level. Matera just got hoist by his adolescent prejudices, he'll live and has probably learnt.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

TigerCam wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:58 am I find all this, the 'woke' garbage and the efforts to rub out history, just because it may cause offence today, all rather worrying. I was always taught to learn from history and the wrongdoings of the past and be mindful of others. Actions like this are yet another nick taken out of free-speech and democracy. I would guess we all have some 'skeletons in the cupboard' as we have grown up in an ever-changing society? One of the principles to remove democracy is to dismantle its history and freedom to debate. While I do not condone what Matera said or did, it was seven years ago and I was not there to discuss. I see De-Montfort is in trouble. What is the next step, dig him up like Cromwell and execute him - the mind boggles!!
2011 and 2013 isn't exactly history though. It was as unacceptable then as it is now.

I don't think stripping him of the captaincy and dropping him for one game is exactly over the top. He's meant to be a role model for a lot of people. Whether or not it gets taken further we'll have to see.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Was it ok to talk about running over black people in your car 9 years ago? Not as I remember it!

Is it "woke" to think the idea of running people over because they are black is wrong? If it is, then call me woke - I'm against racially motivated murder, sorry.

How could Argentina not do something? The punishment does not seem overly harsh. Done. Everyone can move on now, including Matera.

Lesson to anyone in the public eye - check your social medias for things you wrote when you were a child! Especially if you were a particularly racist child...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:30 am Was it ok to talk about running over black people in your car 9 years ago? Not as I remember it!

Is it "woke" to think the idea of running people over because they are black is wrong? If it is, then call me woke - I'm against racially motivated murder, sorry.

How could Argentina not do something? The punishment does not seem overly harsh. Done. Everyone can move on now, including Matera.

Lesson to anyone in the public eye - check your social medias for things you wrote when you were a child! Especially if you were a particularly racist child...
The punishment is not yet done.