Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: Role of the TMO

Post by Big Dai »

jgriffin wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:37 pm
mol2 wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:44 pm That is a good idea - I'm sick of players who are on the deck grabbing players who are on there feet.

It's a penalty if you play the ball when on the ground and the same should apply to opposition players.

There are too many players penalised for not rolling away when they are clearly being prevented from doing so to milk a penalty or even to stop them getting back to their feet to legitimately return to compete. Yes they may be on the wrong side but sometimes thats how the tackle takes you. If players didn't hold them in perhaps more would roll away and the game actually move on.
Happening all the time now. In prehistoric days you'd get a shoeing not penalised.
Beat me to that response!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

IMHO they do a reasonable job and they should be free to draw the ref's attention to "clear and obvious" mistakes/foul play. I would also put them clearly in charge of the clock and by that I mean they should have the right to stop the clock whilst the ref is having a discussion with the front rows/capt etc without waiting for an instruction to do so. I would also like them to have a conversion/penalty attempt clock. It winds me up when kickers take over their allotted time for the goal attempt. We have only once seen a SH punished for exceeding the 5 sec use call but never seen a kicker pulled up for exceeding his allowance. If both were done the game would be speeded up and we would get more time with the ball in play.

On another point, I would love for the refs to call "use it" as soon as the caterpillar starts to form not when it has taken 10/15 sec to form - SH would actually move the ball much quicker and the repetitive box kicks would be reduced.
Hehehehehehehehe
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

trendylfj wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:49 pm IMHO they do a reasonable job and they should be free to draw the ref's attention to "clear and obvious" mistakes/foul play. I would also put them clearly in charge of the clock and by that I mean they should have the right to stop the clock whilst the ref is having a discussion with the front rows/capt etc without waiting for an instruction to do so. I would also like them to have a conversion/penalty attempt clock. It winds me up when kickers take over their allotted time for the goal attempt. We have only once seen a SH punished for exceeding the 5 sec use call but never seen a kicker pulled up for exceeding his allowance. If both were done the game would be speeded up and we would get more time with the ball in play.

On another point, I would love for the refs to call "use it" as soon as the caterpillar starts to form not when it has taken 10/15 sec to form - SH would actually move the ball much quicker and the repetitive box kicks would be reduced.
The call of "Use It!" is becoming highly irritating - particularly on TV. If they have an amount of time before being penalised, let them have it then blow the damn whistle! They'll soon learn to tell the time themselves!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
GETHIN EXILE

Post by GETHIN EXILE »

"Use it" should be called as soon as the ball is at the back of the ruck, any player joining after the call should be penalised for time wasting. If the scrum half stands at the side of the caterpillar and moves the ball to the back he should be penalised for "in at the side". The practice of a player binding onto the back of the ruck and then picking the ball up should be treated as "hands in the ruck".
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Would be nice if ref's actually enforce binding in a ruck, if players don't bind correctly the ball should be considered out.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Getting back to the title, I'd enforce the rule of small children.......................................the TMO should be seen but not heard and only speak when they are spoken to.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:56 pm Getting back to the title, I'd enforce the rule of small children.......................................the TMO should be seen but not heard and only speak when they are spoken to.
So if they see someone deliberate injure an opponent they shouldn't say anything (as an example) unless the referee asks them?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

ourla wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:18 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:56 pm Getting back to the title, I'd enforce the rule of small children.......................................the TMO should be seen but not heard and only speak when they are spoken to.
So if they see someone deliberate injure an opponent they shouldn't say anything (as an example) unless the referee asks them?
My first question would have been how would the TMO be seen? Are we saying there should always be a little in-screen video feed of the TMO (but muted to comply with Victorian social conventions, obviously)? Why would we want that?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Me thinks some of you ought to get out more.............................socially distanced and masked of course :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:07 pm Me thinks some of you ought to get out more.............................socially distanced and masked of course :smt004
Says the person living in 1860 :smt023
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

You've been to North East Scotland then lol.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:58 pm You've been to North East Scotland then lol.
Seems like a century since we were in Melrose. Love the Borders.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:27 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:58 pm You've been to North East Scotland then lol.
It certainly was great there and it was Freddie Burns first game I believe, but not a memorable game as the local Ref. Andrew McEmermy? was certainly the "enemy" as far as Cockers was concerned. Concrete seats too! :smt041
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Was it Burns Night?

I'll get me coat,,,,
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:27 pm
I had to travel for over 2 hours south to get to there lol.