Role of the TMO

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Role of the TMO

Post by Crofty »

My thinking wasn't so much about having more referees, though perhaps one extra pair of eyes could help in the TMO booth, it was more keep "sets" together through a season and when assessing performance bear in mind the overall performance of that set, so rather than the man in the middle being told "you need to look more at offsides" inevitably taking his attention away from something else the 4 of them together get told, "you need to find a way to better catch offsides" and then between them they can work out the best way to do it for them.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
BrightonTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by BrightonTiger »

Perhaps similar to Tennis and American Football each team could get a couple of reviews to challenge a call?

Pivac could have used his challenge for the Biggar tackle and we could have used a challenge for the no arms tackle on Taufua.

2 each per game wouldn't hold things up too much.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

My pet hate at present.....
No attempt to tackle with wrapped arms on the 5m or try line.Players just dive in.Likely to cause head on head or serious neck injury. In an era of"We need to protect players and Player welfare"Similarly at the breakdown. How many players clear out by just charging in - no arms
Any where else on the pitch TMO is chirping away like a Canary.

Its similar to Wendy ball. Players falling down with the slightest contact ( sometimes no contact ) Stop play look at screen watse 5 mins Then in Pen box its like bl---y rugby league or Union.

Either ref the MORE THAN ADEQUATE rules and stop the cherry picking of what is deemed to be the flavour of any particular season. or lets start penalising refs and TMO's for bringing the game into disrepute. :smt013
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

BrightonTiger wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:44 pm Perhaps similar to Tennis and American Football each team could get a couple of reviews to challenge a call?

Pivac could have used his challenge for the Biggar tackle and we could have used a challenge for the no arms tackle on Taufua.

2 each per game wouldn't hold things up too much.
Would be good maybe 2/3 per half?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

The last thing we need is more breaks in play while things are reviewed.

With a good ref, assistants and TMO it works well as it is. Yes, some things will be missed and some 50/50 decisions may go the 'wrong' way but overall things tend to even out with your team sometimes getting the rub of the green and sometimes not. Life isn't perfect and never will be.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

The thing is , we've has two to three seasons of TMO involvement.
Are we really saying we are getting it right. Its as though many refs cannot make a decision or are not strong enough to stand by their convictions.
What do we get , more screen watching and still indecision, a debate. Teams begging the ref to look at an incident and are obliged!
I rate Owens who says No I am happy I do not need to see it. Now he's going their is a big void. The old school has gone.

When was the last time we were asked for a replay at Natural speed? How many teams get away with offside at breakdown and kick off.
This weekend I saw a game when the hooker threw a lineout both feet fully half a yard in field of play
In my opinion it needs a big overhaul. A limit on how many requests any team may ask. Only TMO involvement for incidents regarding potential or serious injury. Let the citing officers deal with anything else. Lets get the game moving and :smt013 stop over protecting Sirs. :smt013
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Completely disagree with wellstiger and agree with Noggs.

I don't think there is a big issue. I wouldn't be changing too much.

I think the message from Owens/Barnes has got out that refs need to keep being assertive and not rely too heavily on the TMO.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

We want referees to get everything right.
We get angry when they don't.
Referees are human.
Humans get things wrong.
An extra human with a video replay will get more things right.

I have no problem with TMO or how it's used. I like the way they now use it while play is still going, I would prefer TMO's to get involved more often, if anything. There are plenty of knock ons, forward passes etc that are missed by referee but easily spotted on video.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/ ... ugby-union

EJ basically say what many of us do. It's the breakdown/ruck. Go back to it being a ruck and enforce the Laws brutally. and while you're at it, use the TMO for offside at all times - it'll take a week for defensive offsides to disappear.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I get a bit miffed when the TMO is clearly trying to force a decision ("Just have another look." "I'll just show you another angle") and pressurises the ref.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

During the game the TMO and AR's can advise but the ref is the one who makes the final decision. (Law 6.5.a: The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match.) That is the issue when refs blatantly let offences go unpunished or not managed.

No one wants the game to be reffed by committee, we accept the ref is human and they will miss things which is understandable, but to consistently and deliberately ignore so many laws is just plain wrong. Refs have to get more decision making assistance (not advice!) from the AR's otherwise as the game gets quicker it will end up a total lottery.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Old Hob wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:52 am I get a bit miffed when the TMO is clearly trying to force a decision ("Just have another look." "I'll just show you another angle") and pressurises the ref.
Agree with this. Point it out to the ref, if he disagrees, let it go.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

DingDong wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:55 am During the game the TMO and AR's can advise but the ref is the one who makes the final decision. (Law 6.5.a: The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match.) That is the issue when refs blatantly let offences go unpunished or not managed.

No one wants the game to be reffed by committee, we accept the ref is human and they will miss things which is understandable, but to consistently and deliberately ignore so many laws is just plain wrong. Refs have to get more decision making assistance (not advice!) from the AR's otherwise as the game gets quicker it will end up a total lottery.
I have never understood why ARs don't always immediately inform the ref if they spot a prop shift his bind before pulling down. 50% of the time the ref gives a penalty the wrong way.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:19 pm
DingDong wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:55 am During the game the TMO and AR's can advise but the ref is the one who makes the final decision. (Law 6.5.a: The referee is the sole judge of fact and of law during a match.) That is the issue when refs blatantly let offences go unpunished or not managed.

I have never understood why ARs don't always immediately inform the ref if they spot a prop shift his bind before pulling down. 50% of the time the ref gives a penalty the wrong way.
Agreed. We used to call them 'Touch Judges' because they were there only to judge where touch was made. If they're now 'Assistant Referees', let them assist the referee! Nothing to stop them covering the ref's blindside or checking for offsides. Let them encroach onto the pitch as much as they want.

As for the TMO, he/she is there to look for foul play (where they should inform the ref) and to answer Sir's one simple question: "I'm about to make this decision - you've got 20 seconds to tell me if I'm going to make a complete :censored: of myself!"
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

The TMO has a number of screens that they view, but has one screen that is 10-15 seconds delayed transmission which allows them to look at questions raised during a passage of play, without unnecessarily stopping the game.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk