England's Worst 15

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

England's Worst 15

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Ruck has posted an England Worst 15, which has supposedly been voted for.by fans. You can see the 15 and the training behind each selection here: https://www.ruck.co.uk/worst-ever-fans ... or-england

Interestingly, Louis Deacon is selected in there, which I think is a bit of a slight on Louis. IMHO anyway.

Rick's rationale on Louis: Now Deacon was as tough as nails, but was about as mobile and athletic as the very comfy sofa that I’m currently sat on and offered next to no threat to opponents. Unfortunately, he falls into that category of England players whose best quality was ‘being brave’, which fills you with admiration…but not a whole lot of confidence.

The 15 is:
15. Mark Van Gisbergen
14. Barrie-Jon Mather
13. Joel Tompkins
12. Sam Burgess
11. Lesley Vanikolo
10. Shane Geraghty
9. Shaun Perry
8. Ben Skirving
7. Andy Hazell
6. Roy Winters
5. Louis Deacon
4. Mouritz Botha
3. Paul Doran-Jones
2. David Paice
1. Darren Crompton

Thoughts ladies and gents.....
Last edited by longlivethecrumbie on Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: England's Worst 15

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

11 to 14 all have something in common...

Jamie Noon needs to be in there for me.

Louis is nonsense he gets hassle from many for not being Johnno, we missed him after he retired.

Andy Long at hooker?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Andy Long is a very good call

I remember seeing him a Twickenham once (I think against Australia) England were being murdered in the scrum until he was replaced by Cockers and the whole thing changed immediately

Very harsh on Louis . Very good hard player.. not the best England Lock forward but very far from the worst
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

It's completely academic but I still genuinely believe that Burgess would have made an incredible backrower. To play him at centre was monumentally stupid. I watch a lot of NRL and I've seen a lot of SB and i'm convinced he had all of the attributes to be an excellent 6 or 7, possibly even in an 8. He had his best games for Bath at flanker and even said he preferred that position. For him to be fast-tracked into the England set up and fast-tracked into the wrong position was a disaster for everyone.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

The selection of Deacon is laughable. You don't get 29 caps if you're not very good. Absolute tosh.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Selecting Deacon in that squad is rubbish, Deacs was one of those players who watchers did not realise what he did until he was not there doing it.
If I were selecting a lock for this team I might go for Garath Archer, who I seem to remember was had the honour of being relegated with both Bristol and Newcastle.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

POSTIGER wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:19 am The selection of Deacon is laughable. You don't get 29 caps if you're not very good. Absolute tosh.
Noon got 38 caps!!!!

You don't get 29 caps as a forward if you are a bad player, it should of been more.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Jamie Noon is in the category for me of very good club players who played a decent amount of international rugby because England lacked truly international class players at the time but definitely not in a ‘Worst 15’.

The current Jamie Noon equivalent would be like Mark Atkinson who is a decent player and played a big role in many Gloucester victories but not quite international class.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

More original content from Ruck. They posted the same thing a few months ago. They just post clickbait for their 3-5 page articles.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:14 am More original content from Ruck. They posted the same thing a few months ago. They just post clickbait for their 3-5 page articles.
In fairness, it may still be the original post but it came up on my Google feed this morning.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:14 amMore original content from Ruck.
You're being nice, I would call it something else :smt002 :smt003
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:07 pm
Hot_Charlie wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:14 amMore original content from Ruck.
You're being nice, I would call it something else :smt002 :smt003
Quite! Ruck journalists must be desperate if they're plumbing the depths with this "article"!
Semper in excretia
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:23 am 11 to 14 all have something in common...

Jamie Noon needs to be in there for me.

Louis is nonsense he gets hassle from many for not being Johnno, we missed him after he retired.

Andy Long at hooker?
Noon is a good shout at 13. God only knows how he won so many caps.
Keeping players in their main positions, I'd move Mather to 12. Burgess wasn't awful - he was just made a scapegoat. Steve Hanley or Denny Solomona could then slip in on the wing.
I have to concede though that Andy Goode and Jordan Crane must be banging furiously on the door to get into that team, along with our esteemed Saints friends, past and present, Teimana Harrison, Stephen Myler and Jim Mallinder.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wheres Shontayne or Farrell Sr?
Last edited by Scott1 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

What a :censored: article and conversation.