Manu - Sale injury update

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

COGH4

Manu - Sale injury update

Post by COGH4 »

Looks like we won't be seeing Manu playing in the Premiership this season or on the next Lions tour.

Sale Injury update - Manu Tuilagi – Achilles Tendon – May 2021

Hope he's fit sooner than predicated, great talent when fit but no luck!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu - Sale injury update

Post by RagingBull »

Could still play the last 4 rounds.
Also I reckon if he is is fit he will tour the lions regardless of how much game time he has before it.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:08 pm Could still play the last 4 rounds.
Also I reckon if he is is fit he will tour the lions regardless of how much game time he has before it.
Me too RB
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

As we know from experience it seems to take Manu longer to get fit & then more time to get match fit, if he plays this season, he will go with the Lions, but as much for the lack of other options as much as his actual form.
Then off to France or Japan.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

There will be no way on planet earth that Gatland would take a risk in South Africa with someone as injury prone as Manu. A one off Test in the UK, maybe, but a tour, zero chance.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'd love to be able to take another opportunity to laugh at Diamond's comments of how he would get more out of Manu than Tigers by keeping him injury free, but really it's just sad to see Manu out for so long again. I'm a rugby fan first and a Tigers fan second.

Unless someone else comes forward as that destructive ball carrying 13 then Gatland will take Manu if there's any chance he'll be able to play even 30 minutes of each test.

Sorry to see Manu out for so long, I hope he manages to defy predictions and return sooner.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

fortysix wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:41 pm There will be no way on planet earth that Gatland would take a risk in South Africa with someone as injury prone as Manu. A one off Test in the UK, maybe, but a tour, zero chance.
Really? I reckon he'll take Manu and Jonathan Davies irrelevant of form. Manu won't be fully fit but they'll be hoping to play him into fitness with the opening friendlies. Jonathan Davies looks almost as past it as his namesake in the commentary box but he's a Gatland favourite and has still been in the Wales team.

Given the injury history of the pair of them it could end up being someone like Henshaw or Ringrose that actually ends up starting.

I hope Manu gets back sooner rather than later. He's already lost too much if his career to injury don't want to see him lose anymore.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

I do feel sorry for MT but I feel even more sorry for Stevie-Steve-Stevie straight-talkin, deal-clinchin, say what I like and like what I say, chain-smokin, gum-chewin, gun-totin, no-small-man-complex here, Diamond Geezer.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Traveller wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:40 pm I do feel sorry for MT but I feel even more sorry for Stevie-Steve-Stevie straight-talkin, deal-clinchin, say what I like and like what I say, chain-smokin, gum-chewin, gun-totin, no-small-man-complex here, Diamond Geezer.
You mean the continually aggravated potato in jeans Steve, "see you in the car park after" Diamond?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Super User
Super User

You could see Gatland wanting a 10,12,13 of Farrell, Davies, Manu.
Farrell's only likely rugby of any intensity will be the Six Nations.
The 2 centres fully fit, you would struggle to argue against, but the fully fit bit seems distant at present.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

If Tompkins finds form again he could be taken to SA, and you wouldn't need to risk both of Davies and Tuilagi. Wonder if Gatland will take a punt on Lawrence?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Feel for Manu , but this cycle of injury - for whatever reason- seems unbreakable.Sadly , it could well be a career posing more questions than answers.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I think he will be very lucky to make the Lions.

It's generally 2 months in a boot (and probably surgery before that) and then long, gentle rehab even for a professional sportsman.

Many would perhaps hope to return for the end of this season, but given the tendency for his injuries to take a long time to recover (He has form with pectorals and groin) that is a long shot. Sale may be reluctant to allow him to be rushed back simply to give the Lions a change to break him.

A fit Manu is in any side - the debate would be who plays around him.
Super User
Super User

But if he isn't stopping at Sale you might take a bigger risk.

I hope he makes the tour regardless of the recent events between Tigers & Manu, he deserves to leave the International game on a high, playing rugby is obviously what he genuinely enjoys, to not be able to do that for a high percentage of your career cannot be great.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I would not take a risk in including MT in any Lions squad, sad for him and I wish him well but he is far too injury prone to risk lasting a 10 weeks tour (counting training before and matches to be played). When did he last survive 10 weeks without a serious injury?? When fit and playing well he is outstanding but can't see him ever getting back to that level but I hope to be proved wrong.
Hehehehehehehehe