Manu - Sale injury update

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu - Sale injury update

Post by ay2oh »

mol2 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:31 am I think he will be very lucky to make the Lions.

It's generally 2 months in a boot (and probably surgery before that) and then long, gentle rehab even for a professional sportsman.

Many would perhaps hope to return for the end of this season, but given the tendency for his injuries to take a long time to recover (He has form with pectorals and groin) that is a long shot. Sale may be reluctant to allow him to be rushed back simply to give the Lions a change to break him.

A fit Manu is in any side - the debate would be who plays around him.
I ruptured my Achilles’ tendon 20 years ago and it took around six months for recovery including operation, 2 differing type of boot + rehab/physio. Bearing in mind the resources available to Manu he should be available providing he has no setbacks. When fit there is no other player who can offer what he does so wouldn’t write him off yet.
A2O
AngusMcCoatup
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by AngusMcCoatup »

Whilst I am very sorry to hear of Manu's serious injury and long term recovery, I am so pleased that it is not Tigers who are paying his convalescence again with his high salary and the monies that Tigers have saved has been exceptionally well used to recruit an exciting new set of backs..
Thank you Manu for your service at Tigers and the 5 games you played last year with one try but we needed to move on. Remember Diamonds are not always forever! :smt002
To the world you may be just one person.
But to that one person you may be the world!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

AngusMcCoatup wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:28 pm Whilst I am very sorry to hear of Manu's serious injury and long term recovery, I am so pleased that it is not Tigers who are paying his convalescence again with his high salary and the monies that Tigers have saved has been exceptionally well used to recruit an exciting new set of backs..
Thank you Manu for your service at Tigers and the 5 games you played last year with one try but we needed to move on. Remember Diamonds are not always forever! :smt002
Feel sorry for Manu but maybe Diamond should keep his trap shut as stating that he would get more games from him has backfired especially when suggesting that it was down to Tigers training methods
A2O
Wes

Post by Wes »

I believe Manu has a one year contract. If so, I'd expect sale to want him back as soon as possible irrespective of long term issues. As such, he'll play asap and be available for the Lions and I can't see him not being picked.
A real shame that manu is prone to injury (or at least seems that way) as I'm a massive fan and possibly won't see him play again (live)
I only live there to wind up the population!
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Crofty wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:00 pm
Traveller wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:40 pm I do feel sorry for MT but I feel even more sorry for Stevie-Steve-Stevie straight-talkin, deal-clinchin, say what I like and like what I say, chain-smokin, gum-chewin, gun-totin, no-small-man-complex here, Diamond Geezer.
You mean the continually aggravated potato in jeans Steve, "see you in the car park after" Diamond?
Sorry I forgot. I'll start again

I do feel sorry for MT but I feel even more sorry for Stevie-Steve-Stevie straight-talkin, deal-clinchin, say what I like and like what I say, see you in the car park after, step outside I'll av yer, denim-man, chain-smokin, gum-chewin, gun-totin, no-small-man-complex here, Diamond Geezer.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Crofty wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:00 pm
Traveller wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:40 pm I do feel sorry for MT but I feel even more sorry for Stevie-Steve-Stevie straight-talkin, deal-clinchin, say what I like and like what I say, chain-smokin, gum-chewin, gun-totin, no-small-man-complex here, Diamond Geezer.
You mean the continually aggravated potato in jeans Steve, "see you in the car park after" Diamond?
Sorry I forgot. I'll start again

I do feel sorry for MT but I feel even more sorry for Stevie-Steve-Stevie straight-talkin, deal-clinchin, say what I like and like what I say, see you in the car park after, step outside I'll av yer, denim-man, chain-smokin, gum-chewin, gun-totin, no-small-man-complex here, Diamond Geezer.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

The upcoming Lions tour both compressed and thus intense , first Manu has to get there in one piece and then stay there in one piece so to speak.Sadly , can't see this happening.A real difference maker when fit and firing but unfortunately appearing very fragile.Best of luck though Manu - always a firm favorite and always welcome.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

If he can get 3/4 games he will definitely go imo.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I just thank the lord we are no longer paying him a large chunk of our salary cap to spend most of his time in a hospital bed or physio couch. Best piece of business we did since we let Lewis Moody go
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

Every egg a chicken!

Not complaining - good luck to him.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JGT57 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:58 pm Every egg a chicken!

Not complaining - good luck to him.
??????? :smt017
JGT57

Post by JGT57 »

😂😂

Sorry, what I meant was it was a bit fortunate for us.
Don’t have bad thoughts towards Manu in any way and was merely reflecting we may have benefited in an abstract sort of way.

It could have been an expensive job for us and I think look to have moved on from that time.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Best piece of business we did since we let Lewis Moody go
You could not be more wrong in the case of Lewis Moody. It showed our players and potential players that it doesn't matter how good a servant to the club you have been, how often you laid your body on the line, this club you have loved will :censored: on you. That message went all over the rugby world and in my opinion destroyed the optimism and loyalty of a great many players. It was put to me time and again down here in the south, "how could Tigers do that to him after he has been such a great servant" ? "Still the Captain of England"?
A life long Tiger
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Smudge wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:54 pm
Best piece of business we did since we let Lewis Moody go
You could not be more wrong in the case of Lewis Moody. It showed our players and potential players that it doesn't matter how good a servant to the club you have been, how often you laid your body on the line, this club you have loved will :censored: on you. That message went all over the rugby world and in my opinion destroyed the optimism and loyalty of a great many players. It was put to me time and again down here in the south, "how could Tigers do that to him after he has been such a great servant" ? "Still the Captain of England"?
I think it proved to be the right "rugby business" decision, but you are quite right it probably did change the view of Tigers.
I remember seeing him making his debut in a preseason jamboree at WR, Mad Dog from the start.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

As a club there is a balance of looking after players and the books.

Players come to the end of their contracts and the clubs have to consider whether to offer a new contract.

Sentiment goes so far but there is sometimes an unbridgeable gap between the demands of the player (or their agent) and the club. That isn't always either party's fault, sometimes other clubs need a particular player to fill a need and are in a position to offer far more than the existing side can afford.

As in many walks of life sometimes you need to move to a new employer to get a pay rise.

With hindsight we perhaps shouldn't have let him go although, given the quality of some of the back rows we have had in the intervening years, we perhaps lacked the cash.