London Irish Away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Post Reply
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Posts: 390
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:06 am

Re: London Irish Away

Post by DingDong » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm

LE18 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:36 pm
Our problem in the line out appear to me that our 2 locks were too small. Wells appears to just be slightly too small but Green looks tiny to me, not sure why we signed him back from Falcons, I think the problem with these two will get worse, imagine Green v Du Preez, new Sale lock, at 6'-10" against him, flat throws wont work, its got to be high looping lobs but they are so slow.
Green's stats at Falcons were immense in the line out and a grafter in open play. Who were the lifters last Sunday? because previous week it worked!! Green 6'4" and Wells 6'5" are tall enough, were the lifters quick/smart enough?

TigerFeetSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:23 am

Re: London Irish Away

Post by TigerFeetSteve » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:53 pm

Lineout after restarted season was a big plus

What's happened this season since...

We had 2 weeks of not practicing together.

Lineouts needs the following all synchronized from trigger points

Hookers throw
Jumpers and lifters movement
Lifters timings
Jumpers jump

It is all but impossible to practice the majority of that in isolation.

With SB at the helm we have someone with a great understanding of the lineout.

After the covid outbreak there's two things I expected us to struggle with most (because they require the most synchronisation) backs moves and especally lineouts.

Of all the things we looked rusty in the first two games these are the two we had the most excuses for. That said they've been practicing a lot again so this excuse has a time limit that will soom expire.

In terms of lineouts, given Green's past sucess I wouldn't worry too much about his height, there are other things that contribute to it. Eg arm span, but also the jump. I played with a flanker who was 5'11" and he was the best lineout option we had, he had such a springy jump, had long arms, was (relatively speaking) light to lift and he had great balance, which meant the lifters could reah higher with him without him toppling over.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.

LE18
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3032
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am
Location: Great Glen

Re: London Irish Away

Post by LE18 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:45 pm

DingDong wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm
LE18 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:36 pm
Our problem in the line out appear to me that our 2 locks were too small. Wells appears to just be slightly too small but Green looks tiny to me, not sure why we signed him back from Falcons, I think the problem with these two will get worse, imagine Green v Du Preez, new Sale lock, at 6'-10" against him, flat throws wont work, its got to be high looping lobs but they are so slow.
Green's stats at Falcons were immense in the line out and a grafter in open play. Who were the lifters last Sunday? because previous week it worked!! Green 6'4" and Wells 6'5" are tall enough, were the lifters quick/smart enough?
You say Green's statistics at Falcons were impressive but were they not achieve from the lower tier level? He does not appear to me to overly achieving this again for us. I only briefly saw Henderson once, but he looked the part and I hope he will soon make his way into the squad after he recovers. Henderson and Martin could be the future.

RagingBull
Super User
Super User
Posts: 8960
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:54 pm

Re: London Irish Away

Post by RagingBull » Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:21 pm

LE18 wrote:
Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:45 pm
DingDong wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:07 pm
LE18 wrote:
Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:36 pm
Our problem in the line out appear to me that our 2 locks were too small. Wells appears to just be slightly too small but Green looks tiny to me, not sure why we signed him back from Falcons, I think the problem with these two will get worse, imagine Green v Du Preez, new Sale lock, at 6'-10" against him, flat throws wont work, its got to be high looping lobs but they are so slow.
Green's stats at Falcons were immense in the line out and a grafter in open play. Who were the lifters last Sunday? because previous week it worked!! Green 6'4" and Wells 6'5" are tall enough, were the lifters quick/smart enough?
You say Green's statistics at Falcons were impressive but were they not achieve from the lower tier level? He does not appear to me to overly achieving this again for us. I only briefly saw Henderson once, but he looked the part and I hope he will soon make his way into the squad after he recovers. Henderson and Martin could be the future.
Nope he topped the lineout takes and steals for Falcons whilst in the premiership.

JP14
Super User
Super User
Posts: 6539
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 am
Location: Burbage

Re: London Irish Away

Post by JP14 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:14 am

Whilst Green quite hasn’t been at his 17/18 levels, I feel like he’s pulling together consistent performances and is playing better than last season.
"Our Greatest Glory Is Not In Never Failing, But In Rising Every Time We Fall" Confucius

Redstripeman
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:04 pm

Re: London Irish Away

Post by Redstripeman » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:27 pm

Fish8ter wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:59 am
Yesterday was really disheartening, especially after the previous week. It was a game played by two very poor sides, who on that performance will both struggle this year. Our only potential saving is that we have some key players to comeback into our backline, as Steward aside, they were truly woeful and offered no viable threat. Kicking from hand was aimless and to miss touch from a penalty once was bad, three times an amateur team would hang there head in shame and prevented key attacking opportunities, as our catch and drive looked our best attacking option.

However, from the start our pack looked unbalanced with three really big units in the pack row, we really need a more dynamic seven in place and holdback one of the Saffer big units to come on with 25 to go. Bower did struggle and for me is way down the pecking order, however we don't yet seem to trust to play Leatigaga from the off.

Next week will be tough, but I feel with a better balance, Jordan at 7, Leatigaga from the off, we will have some grunt upfront to better compete with Exeter. All I ask from our backline is to be solid, reduce some of the aimless box kicking and make touch when given the opportunity.
...the only problem with finding touch, was our inability to win our line-outs!!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FrontRowUnionMember, longlivethecrumbie, MCC1964, Noggs and 2 guests