Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish Away

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Ok I’m getting impatient now.. damn this late kickoff! :smt069
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

As someone else pointed out, the game isn't won or lost in the scrum any more. Our front row should be competitive and that's more than enough. I agree with you though, I don't expect us to dominate the scrum.

Experience is great, and I agree that it could pose challenges for Tigers, but there's a reason why Kepu and Creevy are playing for London Irish this weekend, not Australia and Argentina, and why they are ending their careers in Brentford, not Paris or the south of France.

I'm not saying it should be a walkover, but we've got to be able to beat this kind of team if we want to claim we are going in the right direction.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:17 pm As someone else pointed out, the game isn't won or lost in the scrum any more. Our front row should be competitive and that's more than enough. I agree with you though, I don't expect us to dominate the scrum.

Experience is great, and I agree that it could pose challenges for Tigers, but there's a reason why Kepu and Creevy are playing for London Irish this weekend, not Australia and Argentina, and why they are ending their careers in Brentford, not Paris or the south of France.

I'm not saying it should be a walkover, but we've got to be able to beat this kind of team if we want to claim we are going in the right direction.
Doesn't stop us being nervous, though.......
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:17 pm

Agreed!
Ok, so it's only the second game of the season, but nonetheless, I feel that a loss would be a setback. Last week's match was a real shot in the arm for the club and its supporters and another win is essential before receiving Exeter, and who knows, we might just beat them too.
Semper in excretia
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I'm nervous too. A defeat today and last week's performance becomes rather meaningless. A good win today reinforces the idea that we're becoming a team that can aim for the top half of the table again.
Systonite
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Systonite »

BFG wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:37 am Today isn't vital.
Winning is preferable.
Leicester could lose and still go and win the next five matches.
It's early days.
Leicester hammered Gloucester and Wasps beat Bristol last week, Gloucester beat Wasps yesterday.
Agree with this. Hoping and expecting a win, but aware that nothing is easily predictable in these early days. We should take hope from Gloucester's result v Wasps, but they were never going to be as bad as they were against us.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:28 pm I'm nervous too. A defeat today and last week's performance becomes rather meaningless. A good win today reinforces the idea that we're becoming a team that can aim for the top half of the table again.
...a defeat today would only be a disaster, if we fail to turn up and it will be the manner of defeat that sets us back not the defeat itself.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Redstripeman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:57 pm
Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:28 pm I'm nervous too. A defeat today and last week's performance becomes rather meaningless. A good win today reinforces the idea that we're becoming a team that can aim for the top half of the table again.
...a defeat today would only be a disaster, if we fail to turn up and it will be the manner of defeat that sets us back not the defeat itself.
Agreed
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Redstripeman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:57 pm
I agree, disaster is a strong word. Defeat would not be disastrous. No one defeat is disastrous. It would, however, be pretty demoralising to discover that we are unable to beat LI and are once again strong relegation candidates - particularly after the hope sown by the Glouc win.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I didn’t expect anything out of Gloc so I’m not as nervous today. But we must get something,whether that’s 1,2,4,5 points. We have to go complete 180 from now on and win big and lose small!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I'm of the same sentiment, whilst I'm inclined to agree with BFG's comments we need to get back into a consistent winning mentality again.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Sean O'Brien's pulled out and been replaced by Jack Cooke in the start 15 for Irish, calf strain apparently. That could be a big help to us.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:19 pm I didn’t expect anything out of Gloc so I’m not as nervous today. But we must get something,whether that’s 1,2,4,5 points. We have to go complete 180 from now on and win big and lose small!
What about 3? :smt017

4 tries and a draw...
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:22 pm Sean O'Brien's pulled out and been replaced by Jack Cooke in the start 15 for Irish, calf strain apparently. That could be a big help to us.
:smt023
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Liking this kit more and more..