London Irish Away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

London Irish Away

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Right. 5 points in the bag but we're Tigers we need to build on the performance and progress.

Exiles lost to Wuss by one point today. We have to follow up this performance with another win otherwise we run the risk of squandering all momentum as it's Exeter to start December.

I'm confident though this is a real foundation to build on. Team should look very similar, see how the likes of Scott fit back in (I'd be tempted to leave the starting team the same if all are fit and firing)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish Away

Post by Old Hob »

Too early. Let's enjoy Glaws first :smt002
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Old Hob wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:43 pm Too early. Let's enjoy Glaws first :smt002
Eggshactly! :smt030
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Another win is really important. Two on the bounce would keep that confidence going, a loss would reverse much of the good from this weekend. We beat Irish post lockdown and I don't see an argument that an away game without fans changes the balance much.

Scott probably comes in at 12 for me if it's as simple as finishing self isolation. However, Irish had a lot of experience on the bench against Worcester and it might be useful to have someone like Scott coming in fresh in the 2nd half if they do the same again. I might also be tempted to start Bonilla and have Henry as the impact sub. Our lineout improved 100% when Clare came on, so I'd consider aiming for a steady start with him and using Youngs' determination, leadership and power to finish what could be a tight game away from home.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Match is on Sun 29 Nov at 3:15pm live on BT Sport 2.

Irish are likely to be without a few players.. I think Williams and Hepetema are definitely out and Naholo and Coleman are doubtful. I’d imagine we will field a very similar starting 15 with maybe a few names coming back from SI. Imagine Gigena will be a doubt after his nasty knock. If he’s fit I imagine he will start.

Thought our half backs played extremely well so wouldn’t change that and both deserve to start. Would be good to see more of Bonilla though at some stage as he will be a fantastic signing no doubt. I’m thinking:

15 Freddie Steward
14 Kobus Van Wyk
13 Jaco Taute
12 Matt Scott
11 Harry Potter
10 Zack Henry
9 Richard Wigglesworth
1 Nephi Leatigaga
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Harry Wells
5 Calum Green
6 Hanro Liebenberg
7 Tommy Reffell
8 Jasper Wiese

Replacements
16 Charlie Clare
17 Luan de Bruin
18 Joe Heyes
19 Cameron Henderson
20 Cyle Brink
21 Ben White
22 Joaquin Diaz Bonilla
23 Guy Porter
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

I think even before the Gloucester game they’d be targeting Irish as a win, I said early on we need at least two from the first four and this has has just put us on course for 3! If you don’t want to be in a relegation scrap come May/ June you need to put the teams below you to bed early. Real ten pointer games.

Success this season for me is starting to record wins over the likes of Gloucester, Harlequins, Saints not having my fingers crossed for a result at Newcastle, Worcester, Irish.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Just hope we continue the momentum! As for Gigena, even if he isn't concussed he will need time for his eyelids to heal from the swelling, if de Bruin is not out of his mandatory quarantine that could mean a potential debut off the bench for Whitecombe and Bower to start?

However I think this is unlikely as hopefully Leatigaga will be fit and out of his isolation.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With Newcastle & Worcester winning, Irish picking up a LBP we need to get another win on the board otherwise we're right back in a dog fight. Win we can set our targets on Chiefs with momentum and no fear, which is how you have to approach Chiefs if you want anything out of the game.

Think Test results are going to be key again this week with Gienga possibly out (& de Bruin sill in quarantine???) so Leatigaga being fit could be key, Bower was my concern for the game but he did well when required but still think if he's starting he really will be targeted.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Exeter, Bristol, Wasps and Sale then there’s everyone else. Worcester, Irish, Newcastle, Quins, Bath, Glos and Saints all beatable and with no crowds home advantage isn’t what it used to be so we just need to keep the momentum up. No easy games but with lots of internationals missing it makes for a more level playing field. We have showed our strength in depth and have made a better start than a fair few other teams so let’s hope we can keep it up.

It’s early days but 9 or 10 points after round 2 with Irish potentially on 2 points would be a very good start.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Trust in the Dark Lord (SB) and keep ya bowels open.

We are told he has attention to detail. He will know his personnel to target a W.
I believe we will get a W. However more in the way of attack please. :smt023
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:19 am Exeter, Bristol, Wasps and Sale then there’s everyone else. Worcester, Irish, Newcastle, Quins, Bath, Glos and Saints all beatable and with no crowds home advantage isn’t what it used to be so we just need to keep the momentum up. No easy games but with lots of internationals missing it makes for a more level playing field. We have showed our strength in depth and have made a better start than a fair few other teams so let’s hope we can keep it up.

It’s early days but 9 or 10 points after round 2 with Irish potentially on 2 points would be a very good start.
I don't think Wasps are a shoe-in at the top end of the table just yet, they've only had a couple of months of good form and were awful before that. That said, I'm expecting them to hammer a depleted Bristol today, who may struggle for the top 4 if they have injury problems - didn't they lose 4 or 5 on the bounce at one point last season?

There's every opportunity for a team like Tigers to make the playoffs this year, only Exeter are consistently head and shoulders above the rest.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I certainly wouldn't be looking too far ahead at the moment, take the win and now prepare for the next game, certainly in the winnable category.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Depending on fitness I would go with the same 23 again, might swap the 10's around.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Yep roughly the same for me.
Might be tempted with no preseason to swap some players, maybe start Wallace at 7, potentially swap Brink and Liebenberg.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I think Brink needs easing back off the bench, he hasn't played for a longtime, one of my worries for this season, a lot of members of our squad are not going to get much if any actual game time, so if called upon are going to be rusty at best.
We need to look after OTY over the season I dont think it was a coincidence that after Lockdown 1.0 he looked a rejuvenated player.
To win is not as important as playing with style!