London Irish Away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: London Irish Away

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

If Leatigaga and Scott are fit and available, they’ll come straight into the XV for me. Also rotate Wallace with Reffell to keep players fresh, Wallace one of the standout players for me last season.

Two wins from two would be an amazing start, especially given we’ll probably get no change from Exeter away.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:17 pm Depending on fitness I would go with the same 23 again, might swap the 10's around.
Doubt Gigena will be fit. Scott and Leatigaga should hopefully be available and maybe De Bruin so I’d expect them to feature
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:17 pm Depending on fitness I would go with the same 23 again, might swap the 10's around.
Doubt Gigena will be fit. Scott, Leatigaga and Wallace should hopefully be available and maybe De Bruin so I’d expect them to feature
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Porter & Taute did nothing wrong yesterday, Scott was solid nothing more previously, I think a lot of people just got excited to see a bit of competence in the 12 shirt, Scott & Taute didn't exactly set the world on fire as a partnership.
12 really is a problem position for us, not necessarily due to who we play there.

I was quietly impressed with Bower yesterday he came on & did his primary role as a prop, would we want to start with him, possibly not, but there are worse 2nd choice loose heads elsewhere in the league than our 3rd/4th choice.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 pm Porter & Taute did nothing wrong yesterday, Scott was solid nothing more previously, I think a lot of people just got excited to see a bit of competence in the 12 shirt, Scott & Taute didn't exactly set the world on fire as a partnership.
12 really is a problem position for us, not necessarily due to who we play there.

I was quietly impressed with Bower yesterday he came on & did his primary role as a prop, would we want to start with him, possibly not, but there are worse 2nd choice loose heads elsewhere in the league than our 3rd/4th choice.
Bit harsh on Scott imo,I thought he was very good at times
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 pm Porter & Taute did nothing wrong yesterday, Scott was solid nothing more previously, I think a lot of people just got excited to see a bit of competence in the 12 shirt, Scott & Taute didn't exactly set the world on fire as a partnership.

I don’t think you can judge much from their partnership last season. Nothing was really working last season so not surprised that their partnership didn’t click.

Taute looks a completely new player, albeit we’ve only played one game but lots to be positive about. Taute and Porter looked great. Scott looks solid too so I’d be pleased with any of those starting with the other on the bench.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:43 pm

Wait a minute.. Scott1.. Matt Scott... :smt017 :smt031
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:48 pm

Haha,but seriously mate I thought Matt played well last season. I would stick with 9,10,12,13 v LI though. Always important to keep a MF together as much as possible
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Super User
Super User

Inability to field consistent midfield have been an issue for Tigers for sometime. Taute just looks like the sort of player who acts like glue in the backline, much like Hanro is showing in the pack.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:57 pm
OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:48 pm
Haha,but seriously mate I thought Matt played well last season. I would stick with 9,10,12,13 v LI though. Always important to keep a MF together as much as possible
I completely agree. Thought Scott was one of our consistently solid players during a very tough period last season. Happy either way though as I say. I like the look of Scott and Porter and on his latest showing Taute looks like a new player compared to last season.

Imagine when he’s recovered, Moroni will be a nailed on starter so we should be in decent shape in the centre for a change.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

A word of caution on Taute, it's only one good game from him and against opposition centres who were probably the slowest he'll face this season.
Super User
Super User

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:15 pm A word of caution on Taute, it's only one good game from him and against opposition centres who were probably the slowest he'll face this season.
Which is why a lot if us would like him in the 12 shirt, but if you get the defensive system right, he is less likely to get caught out for lack of pace.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Brink looks a big old unit. Is he an 8 or a 6?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:37 pm Brink looks a big old unit. Is he an 8 or a 6?
He's a blindside though he's played 8 previously from what I've heard. Murphy referred to him as a flanker who could play blind or open side though when doing the talks with Bondi. He's quite a bit bigger than I expected and I thought he was going to be pretty big from what I'd seen from YouTube. I'm interested to see how we deploy him because he played openside off the bench at the weekend.

The backrow options are going to be positively mountainous this season with all of Brink, Liebenburg, Weise and Taufua. Throw in two proper breakdown merchants in Wallace and Reffell and I can't remember us having such strength in depth for years.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Brink started as a 6 who then covered 7 for Smith at the lions.
After some injuries he bulked up so that he could cover 8 more.

So he's played all 3 positions in super rugby. But would say he's mainly a 6 in the English game.
(Too show his bulk he was about 98KG back in 2018 and is now 113KG)