GP Round 1 thread

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: GP Round 1 thread

Post by BFG »

Tiglon wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:32 pm There was one angle that clearly showed Ewels making head to head contact with some force. It's his responsibility as a tackler to make sure he doesn't do that. Good decision from the officials, although it seemed a struggle to get there with a strange reluctance to use the one angle that showed the contact.

https://laws.worldrugby.org/en/guidelines/13

The above link shows the framework for refereeing decisions on high tackles:

High tackle. Contact by tackler's shoulder or head → high degree of danger = red (see mitigations), low degree of danger = yellow (see mitigations).

Pretty clear, no?

Brilliant performance from Newcastle, proof that determination beats talent.
Newcastle have lots of talent and even at his age Flood is still one of the most talented.
It wasn't really proof of anything but more reinforced the idea that losing players to international matches is unsettling at club level.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

didn't know that if the ball carrier requires an HIA it is deemed a high tackle - "High tackle

An illegal tackle causing head contact, where head contact is identified by clear contact to ball carrier’s head/neck OR the head visibly moves backwards from the contact point OR the ball carrier requires an HIA
Hehehehehehehehe
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP14 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:27 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:36 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:30 pm

I agree, at the end of the day a hat-trick and a Number 8 gassing a winger is still good (don’t get me wrong) but it’s really irritating when they’re just being praised purely for putting pressure on Eddie Jones.
If only gassing a wing was the Number 8’s main job! It’s worth noting his 3rd try from short range was being pushed by two of his mates and against the Quins number 23 and Marcus Smith; hardly revelatory material!

I think in the first half we saw why EJ sticks with Farrell and Ford too. Just because you’re the 10 of a championship/Euro winning side doesn’t mean you have divine right to international honours; was it 2005 Andy Goode was eventually capped? :smt001
Yeah true, but Simmonds does have that Neil Back quality about him of always being in the right place at the right time though.
That too.

As for Joe S, there was a moment in the first half when I thought “that’s why EJ doesn’t pick him”. Broken field, game quite flat at the time, running out of options, and takes a very conservative safe play into contact, whereas I think there’d have been a bit more creativity from the England incumbents.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Great result for Newcastle at Bath.Could still be a long season for them , however.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Wasps v Bristol not going as I expected.
It's a Bristol team missing a lot of players v a full strength Wasps team nearly.

Rusty game, Bristol just scored to go ahead.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Did anyone watch the Wasps game, sounds like a bit of a nail biter?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:14 pm Did anyone watch the Wasps game, sounds like a bit of a nail biter?
Nothing to worry about from those 2 teams, we can beat both, poorish game especially 1st half.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Got quite good once the game went loose.
Jack Willis is the best player in the prem though IMO.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

LE18 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:22 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:14 pm Did anyone watch the Wasps game, sounds like a bit of a nail biter?
Nothing to worry about from those 2 teams, we can beat both, poorish game especially 1st half.
Let's not get carried away, fantastic win for us on Saturday but we don't yet know if we're back or Glaws were just awful. I hope it's the former, and the former will happen at some point if not now, but let's get London Irish under our belts and see what we go like against Exeter before we decide we don't have to worry about anyone.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

May have been only 27 days before the new season re commenced but there seemed an awful lot of ring rust on display over the weekend - yesterday's game in particular will hardly have the coaches purring....
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Aside from the Tigers win of course, the highlight of the weekend for me was Mulipola trampling all over Priestland to set the ball rolling for the Newcastle winning try....and then having to come off ! Job done.