Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2020-21

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2020-21

Post by RagingBull »

ABClub wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:08 pm Grahamslaw could still make a good Prem LH in my opinion. Given when he converted and being tall for a LH it will take time. A good signing there for a Championship club.

Moyano would be a strong upgrade on Hegarty as Steward's back up or as a wing option ahead of Ashton. Ashton has been good but was very out of place defensively at times against Leinster. In those big games a back three player such as Moyano would be an important improvement.
He's off to Jersey
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Glad to hear he's got a club already.

There's a few former Tigers at Jersey now. Guy Thompson, Jack Roberts and Ryan Olowofela - don't think Ryan debuted but he was academy of course.

Harry Simmons on loan too at the minute.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Sounds like Wasps have confirmed
Jimmy Gopperth
Jeff Toomaga Allen
Pietr Scholtz
Cameron Anderson
James Gaskell
Rob Miller

As leaving
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rob Miller would suit the way Borthwick wants his 10's but not really sure I would want any on that list outside of Jimmy.
JTA as 3rd choice TH maybe but would have to take a big pay cut
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:48 pm Rob Miller would suit the way Borthwick wants his 10's but not really sure I would want any on that list outside of Jimmy.
JTA as 3rd choice TH maybe but would have to take a big pay cut
JTA for me hasn’t really progressed as Wasps may have hoped. Has often been found out at scrum time
corko

Post by corko »

ay2oh wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:10 pm
Is he any good corko ?
Sorry I forgot to come back to my reply.

https://www.the42.ie/james-cronin-leice ... 4-May2022/

Yes, he is very good. Cronin's problem was the perennial one in Munster, he didn't go to a rugby playing school, whereas the showpony Kilcoyne did. So there was always favouritism show to Kilcoyne. Cronin should have got more than the 3 caps for Ireland that he did get, and wanted to stay with Munster last season in the mistaken hope that he might get back into the Ireland squad.

In one sense he was fortunate that the decision was taken out of his hands when cash strapped Munster withdrew from contract talks with himself and some other senior players, to cut their budget down. Munster left it to the end of March before informing them, which left him very few options to get a new club. In the end he chose newly promoted Biarritz, rather than wait around for a medical joker contract.

He's a technical prop and a team player, unlike the showponies, but not averse to scoring tries given the opportunity. I think he'll fit into the front row culture of Tigers quite nicely, and I've no doubt that he will be well liked by the fans. He's a working class lad who had it tough at times, but I'm sure he'll be made feel at home by Tigers.

From the first time I saw him play U18 for Highfield RFC in Cork, I have always been impressed by his rucking and willing to sacrifice for the team. Obviously he's a different player to Genge, but he'll do great in his more traditional style.

BTW, his brother Miah, who is a good few years older than him, is still a smashing player with Highfield in the All Ireland League.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

From your description his background sounds similar to the man he is going to be replacing
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

corko wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:40 am
Is he any good corko ?

Yes, he is very good. Cronin's problem was the perennial one in Munster, he didn't go to a rugby playing school, whereas the showpony Kilcoyne did. So there was always favouritism show to Kilcoyne. Cronin should have got more than the 3 caps for Ireland that he did get, and wanted to stay with Munster last season in the mistaken hope that he might get back into the Ireland squad.

In one sense he was fortunate that the decision was taken out of his hands when cash strapped Munster withdrew from contract talks with himself and some other senior players, to cut their budget down. Munster left it to the end of March before informing them, which left him very few options to get a new club. In the end he chose newly promoted Biarritz, rather than wait around for a medical joker contract.

He's a technical prop and a team player, unlike the showponies, but not averse to scoring tries given the opportunity. I think he'll fit into the front row culture of Tigers quite nicely, and I've no doubt that he will be well liked by the fans. He's a working class lad who had it tough at times, but I'm sure he'll be made feel at home by Tigers.

From the first time I saw him play U18 for Highfield RFC in Cork, I have always been impressed by his rucking and willing to sacrifice for the team. Obviously he's a different player to Genge, but he'll do great in his more traditional style.

BTW, his brother Miah, who is a good few years older than him, is still a smashing player with Highfield in the All Ireland League.
Thanks for the feedback corko. Am looking forward to seeing him in red, white and green
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Sure on the commentary they have said that Charlie Ngtai is moving to Leinster as if they haven’t got enough talent.
corko

Post by corko »

ay2oh wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 12:31 pm
corko wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:40 am

Is he any good corko ?

Thanks for the feedback corko. Am looking forward to seeing him in red, white and green
Looking forward to seeing how he gets on.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Gatland to take the USA job,phew!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 1:45 pm Sure on the commentary they have said that Charlie Ngtai is moving to Leinster as if they haven’t got enough talent.
That's right, presumably to help cover international call ups what with the world cup on the horizon as well. Jason Jenkins coming in for the retiring Toner. Leinster really recruiting hard for those NIQ spots.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Bristol re-sign 16 new players
Dan Thomas (108 apps)
Piers O'Conor (107 apps)
Luke Morahan (96 apps)
Yann Thomas (90 apps)
Harry Thacker (75 apps)
Jake Heenan (69 apps)
Will Capon (60 apps)
Sam Jeffries (52 apps)
Max Lahiff (41 apps)
John Hawkins (35 apps)
Jake Armstrong (31 apps)
Bryan Byrne (30 apps)
Jake Kerr (20 apps)
Charlie Powell (17 apps)
Siva Naulago (16 apps)
James Dun (13 apps)

Struggle to see where they will find the money to bring in more quality players.
AJ, Genge and Bradbury are good players but their depth in the tight 5 is very weak.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 7:18 pm Bristol re-sign 16 new players
Dan Thomas (108 apps)
Piers O'Conor (107 apps)
Luke Morahan (96 apps)
Yann Thomas (90 apps)
Harry Thacker (75 apps)
Jake Heenan (69 apps)
Will Capon (60 apps)
Sam Jeffries (52 apps)
Max Lahiff (41 apps)
John Hawkins (35 apps)
Jake Armstrong (31 apps)
Bryan Byrne (30 apps)
Jake Kerr (20 apps)
Charlie Powell (17 apps)
Siva Naulago (16 apps)
James Dun (13 apps)

Struggle to see where they will find the money to bring in more quality players.
AJ, Genge and Bradbury are good players but their depth in the tight 5 is very weak.
So which are the 6 they re-signed by accident?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

I think I would only consider the top 3-4 of those for the Tigers squad.