Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2020-21

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2020-21

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Bye, Bye Bath? Anthony Watson set for departure?

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/ot ... ve-6422470
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:09 am Tom Daly re-signs with Connacht:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/rugby- ... n-25771927
Will his wages take a dive ? I’m here all week…..
Offside
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Offside »

kk20gb30 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:39 am Bye, Bye Bath? Anthony Watson set for departure?

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/ot ... ve-6422470
Any Premiership club would need to think carefully about contract terms. A great player but has had injury problems and when firing on all cylinders should be in the England team. I would not swap for Moroni unless half the cost, but he can make space for others and get across the gain line in a way few others can.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I reckon he will take a pay cut where ever he goes if it's the prem. Bath are rebuilding

Cons as said
Still won't be cheap
Injury problems

Plus points
International standard 15 and Wing
England have a lot of young back 3 players coming up with massive potential who might be ousting the current England back 3 players (or where in the last 12 months) and therefore post world cup they might actually not be England players.

IMO he's worth the risk if you can get him for a decent price and have decent depth already in the back 3, Sarries rumoured to be replacing Maitland with him.

If Nadolo was planning on stepping back more after this season (Not saying he is) I would seriously be looking at Watson.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:33 am I reckon he will take a pay cut where ever he goes if it's the prem. Bath are rebuilding

Cons as said
Still won't be cheap
Injury problems

Plus points
International standard 15 and Wing
England have a lot of young back 3 players coming up with massive potential who might be ousting the current England back 3 players (or where in the last 12 months) and therefore post world cup they might actually not be England players.

IMO he's worth the risk if you can get him for a decent price and have decent depth already in the back 3, Sarries rumoured to be replacing Maitland with him.

If Nadolo was planning on stepping back more after this season (Not saying he is) I would seriously be looking at Watson.
He is strongly aerially, had a good kick chase too which fits our game plan and can cover a couple of positions.

I don’t really see a downside if he is affordable and fits in the new cap.

Injuries are part and parcel of almost all players seasons these days (Nadolo, Potter, Porter and even Moroni have missed a fair few games but no one moans about them) and if we take him on i’d imagine Aled will work carefully to bring him through.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Watson is like Manu with his injury record. We are talking about a player who is only available for about ten games a season.

He is also a completely different player to Nadolo. If we want a winger who can get us over the advantage line then he is the wrong type of player, excellent though he is.

The other issue is that he plays in the back 3- Steward will be away for most of the year so having another player absent for so long would be far from ideal.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Nadolo goes I don’t expect a like for like replacement in terms of how he plays.

It seems more an nice extra than Borthwicks actually preferred game plan.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:29 pm If Nadolo goes I don’t expect a like for like replacement in terms of how he plays.

I don't know he does tend to like a bigger PI option on the left wing. Its normally one of Saumaki, Nadolo or Murimurivalu. This week is an oddity with Porter there though he's not exactly lacking in physicality for a winger.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:23 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:29 pm If Nadolo goes I don’t expect a like for like replacement in terms of how he plays.

I don't know he does tend to like a bigger PI option on the left wing. Its normally one of Saumaki, Nadolo or Murimurivalu. This week is an oddity with Porter there though he's not exactly lacking in physicality for a winger.
Just because they are PI doesn't mean they play the same game plan though.
Neither Murimurivalu or Saumaki are the same style of Winger Nadolo is, both don't get used in the middle as a crash ball or decoy runner I would say both are more similar on the whole to how Watson is played at bath than Nadolo.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:26 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:23 pm

Just because they are PI doesn't mean they play the same game plan though.
Neither Murimurivalu or Saumaki are the same style of Winger Nadolo is, both don't get used in the middle as a crash ball or decoy runner I would say both are more similar on the whole to how Watson is played at bath than Nadolo.
Watson can't pick and go like Murimurivalu though and you wouldn't see Watson hand off a player into another player in order to take out both defenders and score. Murimurivalu is more than capable of coming off his wing and causing mayhem just not in as direct a way. I'm unsure what Saumaki can and can't do at the minute, need to see more of him ball in hand.

Very few can go like to like with Nadolo but all three are more physical than Watson, considerably so. Porter even is a lot more closer to the power offerings we seem to prefer on the left wing.

Now if we were talking right wing then Watson would fit in very well as he's pretty good at the kick chase but is also an exceptional finisher. I suspect Potter costs less than half what Watson would demand, admittedly Potter is nowhere near the finisher that Watson is.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Murimurivalu is a brilliantly solid player but that bump off a player into another has been more a one off rather than the norm and he may be more than capable of coming off his wing and causing damage but Borthwick doesn’t use him like that.

I also don’t think Borthwick views much between left and right wing, Porter seemed to play more on the right last season.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Heard a rumour that Ed Slater will be hanging his boots up at the end of the season to move into coaching on the backroom team at Gloucester
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Ulster announce extensions for John Cooney and Will Addison:

https://www.planetrugby.com/john-cooney ... ter-deals/