Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2020-21

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:54 pm
Dokie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:50 pm
TA30 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:33 pm Damn right Sam, Kelly is earning that shirt but I'm being greedy for a second. :smt002

Plus when Kelly is in the England squad, laumape would be adequate cover.

Big money for a top centre is what £350k? Big money for a lock is considerably more so wondering if Eli snyman signing at lock allows for such a move. Anyway, Scott n Moroni were great again tonight
Sorry to disappoint you but Kelly is Irish. Sadly that means we’ll lose him if he develops to a level whereby playing for Ireland is a possibility.
Kelly is Manchester born and raised. He qualifies for Ireland through his grandparents. He could easily switch over to England as I think I'm right in saying he's only had one junior 6 nations campaign with Ireland under 20s after he moved to Loughborough University and had already agreed to join us.

Would Eddie pick an actual inside centre though? That's the bigger question.
One of the reasons I think a "Saxons" tour is being discussed this summer is due to trying to get players like Kelly who is both EQP & eligible for Ireland a cap and get him tied down. The Falcons game which EJ watched he definitely impressed in! Centre is a problem position for England so think he may get a Saxons call
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:12 pm
Sorry to disappoint you but Kelly is Irish. Sadly that means we’ll lose him if he develops to a level whereby playing for Ireland is a possibility.
Kelly is Manchester born and raised. He qualifies for Ireland through his grandparents. He could easily switch over to England as I think I'm right in saying he's only had one junior 6 nations campaign with Ireland under 20s after he moved to Loughborough University and had already agreed to join us.

One of the reasons I think a "Saxons" tour is being discussed this summer is due to trying to get players like Kelly who is both EQP & eligible for Ireland a cap and get him tied down. The Falcons game which EJ watched he definitely impressed in! Centre is a problem position for England so think he may get a Saxons call
I'm of the opinion the summer tour shouldn't select any player who played both in the ANC and the 6N. If they aren't selected by the Lions give them the summer off and a full pre season. Take a squad that can both win the three games (Scotland, Canada, USA) but also increase competition for the Autumn.

If Kelly keeps playing like he did against Falcons he could be a bolter to tour. He'd be up against Devoto, Sam James, Luke James, Piers O'Connor for the 12 berth so far from straight forward.

There must be a certain temptation to call up the best of the young talent we know to be eligible for other countries and get them a cap now. Rodd, Heyes, Randall, O'Connor, Kelly, Dingwall and Odogwu all off the top of my head. Kelly is the only one there who'd be a stretch currently as the rest are regulars in the Prem. There's a couple of other stand outs it would be worth capping just to be on the safe side like Barbeary and Smith at Quins whom you'd assume some other Unions could be combing through their family tree if they aren't tied down soon.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Let's not get carried away here. Kelly has performed well in a handful of games but that doesn't suddenly equate to international quality. This reminds me of a conversation a few months back where some were touting Reffell and Steward for inclusion in their 6N squads. Unfortunately for Reffell, as good as he is, Wales are so stacked with 7s that none of the regions were even willing to offer Thomas Young a contract for this season. Similarly, Freddie is outstanding in the air and has a great boot but he's progressing at the same time as Malins, Parton, Hodge and Freeman, all of whom have the feet and pace that could really stress defences at international level if they maintain their development.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:46 pm

Let's not get carried away here. Kelly has performed well in a handful of games but that doesn't suddenly equate to international quality. This reminds me of a conversation a few months back where some were touting Reffell and Steward for inclusion in their 6N squads. Unfortunately for Reffell, as good as he is, Wales are so stacked with 7s that none of the regions were even willing to offer Thomas Young a contract for this season. Similarly, Freddie is outstanding in the air and has a great boot but he's progressing at the same time as Malins, Parton, Hodge and Freeman, all of whom have the feet and pace that could really stress defences at international level if they maintain their development.
At international level it's absolutely paramount as a FB that firstly you are fundamentally very good and can do the basics very well then build from there. Brown,Kearney,LHP etc. I believe Steward is as good as anyone in England already in that regard.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Nick David to quins (rumour only) :

https://www.ruck.co.uk/transfer-harlequ ... placement/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Dokie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:46 pm

Note I was talking Saxons not England firstly and primarily for the purposes of tying players down nationally. Kelly is not yet good enough for the England team, but he certainly wouldn't look out of place in a Saxons team.

So given that there is a lions tour this summer, plus Noth American tour (which may be hosted here or in America) PLUS a Saxons vs a Scottish development team being talked about, I don't see why, when upwards of 60 players may be getting involved in one of the 3 squads, that he couldn't be in that picture.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Quins and Italy centre Michele Campagnaro, formerly of Wasps and Exeter, seems close to signing for ProD2 club Colomiers who are currently fourth and will be in the mix for promotion to the Top14.
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:11 am Quins and Italy centre Michele Campagnaro, formerly of Wasps and Exeter, seems close to signing for ProD2 club Colomiers who are currently fourth and will be in the mix for promotion to the Top14.
Very good player in his pomp!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:11 am Quins and Italy centre Michele Campagnaro, formerly of Wasps and Exeter, seems close to signing for ProD2 club Colomiers who are currently fourth and will be in the mix for promotion to the Top14.
A quality player plagued by injuries, always wondered how much better Italy may have been if they had a consistently fit and firing Morisi - Campagnaro centre pairing
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:55 am Nick David to quins (rumour only) :

https://www.ruck.co.uk/transfer-harlequ ... placement/
Thought they announced that as done a while ago.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

sam16111986 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:52 pm

I'm of the opinion the summer tour shouldn't select any player who played both in the ANC and the 6N. If they aren't selected by the Lions give them the summer off and a full pre season. Take a squad that can both win the three games (Scotland, Canada, USA) but also increase competition for the Autumn.

If Kelly keeps playing like he did against Falcons he could be a bolter to tour. He'd be up against Devoto, Sam James, Luke James, Piers O'Connor for the 12 berth so far from straight forward.

There must be a certain temptation to call up the best of the young talent we know to be eligible for other countries and get them a cap now. Rodd, Heyes, Randall, O'Connor, Kelly, Dingwall and Odogwu all off the top of my head. Kelly is the only one there who'd be a stretch currently as the rest are regulars in the Prem. There's a couple of other stand outs it would be worth capping just to be on the safe side like Barbeary and Smith at Quins whom you'd assume some other Unions could be combing through their family tree if they aren't tied down soon.
I wanted Jones to do something similar back in 2018 for South Africa and give his Lions contingent a complete rest. However, as much as I would like that to happen for whoever and wherever England play this summer, I have a feeling Jones will want to keep his Saracens players in the loop should not any of them be selected for the Lions (which at the moment, is going to be Daly and M. Vunipola at the least). He'll make a few changes, but nothing wholesale.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

JP14 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am
sam16111986 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:52 pm

I wanted Jones to do something similar back in 2018 for South Africa and give his Lions contingent a complete rest. However, as much as I would like that to happen for whoever and wherever England play this summer, I have a feeling Jones will want to keep his Saracens players in the loop should not any of them be selected for the Lions (which at the moment, is going to be Daly and M. Vunipola at the least). He'll make a few changes, but nothing wholesale.
I don't think it's a Sarries thing I think Eddie will want to keep building around the core he's developed. I just don't think it's a good idea because those players are being worked into the floor, not helped by the moronic scheduling agreed by the RFU. An actual pre season would work wonders for a lot of players but I agree that Eddie won't think like that.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

From Neil Fissler, Bristol supposedly interested in Gloucester centre Mark Atkinson for next season.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Facundo Cordero extends Exeter deal :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56674318