Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2020-21

Post by Scott1 »

I thought teams couldn’t talk to players or announce deals until January?🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:47 pm I thought teams couldn’t talk to players or announce deals until January?🤔
That only applies/applied to England players
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

fentiger wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:32 pm Well maybe Lancaster is succession planning? After all Fordy was once a really young bloke too....
Think there is more chance to Sinfield being viewed as Ford successor than Lancaster for next season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:03 pm
Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:47 pm I thought teams couldn’t talk to players or announce deals until January?🤔
That only applies/applied to England players
Thanks ,thought it was league wide 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:08 pm
fentiger wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:32 pm Well maybe Lancaster is succession planning? After all Fordy was once a really young bloke too....
Think there is more chance to Sinfield being viewed as Ford successor than Lancaster for next season.
Yeah, well by 'succession planning' I mean longer term. With Burns to mentor (always assuming any of the Ford scenarios actually happen!).
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:17 pm The worry is the ford to Sale rumour
That is very much the concern. Ford has been fantastic this season but he does look very happy in the post game chats which hasn't always been the case. As long as we aren't slashing his wage further I think he'd be inclined to stay. I always assumed the Sale rumours were because they have wealthy backers and he's from up North originally so 1+1=6 all the way. I'd be surprised if he wasn't loving working with Sinfield as well.

McGinty will be 32 by the end of the season so if Bristol have given him a three year deal with his injury record then he'd be mad not to bite their hand off. He's worked well with Lam previously which will have been a draw for him also.

I wonder if, with the lack of relegation, Sale might just back Wilkinson and build for the future.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:02 pm
That is very much the concern. Ford has been fantastic this season but he does look very happy in the post game chats which hasn't always been the case. As long as we aren't slashing his wage further I think he'd be inclined to stay. I always assumed the Sale rumours were because they have wealthy backers and he's from up North originally so 1+1=6 all the way. I'd be surprised if he wasn't loving working with Sinfield as well.

McGinty will be 32 by the end of the season so if Bristol have given him a three year deal with his injury record then he'd be mad not to bite their hand off. He's worked well with Lam previously which will have been a draw for him also.

I wonder if, with the lack of relegation, Sale might just back Wilkinson and build for the future.
You can't go straight to another club's marquee slot so I don't think Ford to Sale will happen without him taking a big cut.

The bigger risk for me is Pollard to Sale and Ford to Montpellier...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:01 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:02 pm

You can't go straight to another club's marquee slot so I don't think Ford to Sale will happen without him taking a big cut.

The bigger risk for me is Pollard to Sale and Ford to Montpellier...
I could just about stomach that
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Santiago Grondona (Argentinian Forward) to Exeter on a short term deal :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59235623
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Rumours involving Sale will be of great interest around these parts in the short term at least and another doing the rounds is that they are set to lose another South African forward.According to Neil fissler JP du Preez to Glasgow is close to being a certainty.
In addition however comes Fisslers assertion that Lood de Jager is poised to return to his homeland with Cell C sharks come the end of the season.Talks are apparently at an advanced stage.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

kk20gb30 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:52 am Rumours involving Sale will be of great interest around these parts in the short term at least and another doing the rounds is that they are set to lose another South African forward.According to Neil fissler JP du Preez to Glasgow is close to being a certainty.
In addition however comes Fisslers assertion that Lood de Jager is poised to return to his homeland with Cell C sharks come the end of the season.Talks are apparently at an advanced stage.
Question is will theywant to spend ALL the cap space on a replacement 10 who can't be marquee, or will they look to replace those guys?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Well talk is Sale want to try and replace as many SA players from within so
Akker replaced by Langdon and Ashman
FdK replaced by Quirke, Thomas, Warr
AJ and Rob Du Preez out

I can see the Du Preez twins leaving if Rob goes
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:35 am Well talk is Sale want to try and replace as many SA players from within so
AJ and Rob Du Preez out

If they are losing the du Preez twins from the pack then they will be in desperate need to recruit in that area. The idea of replacing from within is nice but I don't recall seeing any like for like physical specimens coming from within their academy. Their game plan is pretty reliant on them as well.

If Ford goes before Sale confirm what their pack is going to look like for next season then he's a fool. He carried Tigers when our pack was poor he can't really want that again, particularly if he wants to maximise his earnings as a player. Flyhalfs that get an armchair ride take a lot less impacts than those behind a beaten pack.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:16 am
RagingBull wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:35 am Well talk is Sale want to try and replace as many SA players from within so
AJ and Rob Du Preez out

If they are losing the du Preez twins from the pack then they will be in desperate need to recruit in that area. The idea of replacing from within is nice but I don't recall seeing any like for like physical specimens coming from within their academy. Their game plan is pretty reliant on them as well.

If Ford goes before Sale confirm what their pack is going to look like for next season then he's a fool. He carried Tigers when our pack was poor he can't really want that again, particularly if he wants to maximise his earnings as a player. Flyhalfs that get an armchair ride take a lot less impacts than those behind a beaten pack.
I didn't say they would replace the twins from within though.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:21 am
sam16111986 wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 10:16 am
AJ and Rob Du Preez out

I didn't say they would replace the twins from within though.
I know but even replacing the twins from without will not be easy, those type of physical and mobile players that cover multiple positions will have a lot of interest. Clubs in France will pay a pretty penny for starters.