Marcus Smith

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mol2
Super User
Super User

Re: Marcus Smith

Post by mol2 »

Not sure Simmonds is an international 8.
Fantastic club player but not quite big and powerful enough.

Dombrant might get there. Not sure it is a good use of Curry who looks more comfortable on the flank; I would only use him at 8 as cover if the starting 8 got injured.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 pm Not sure Simmonds is an international 8.

Dombrant might get there. Not sure it is a good use of Curry who looks more comfortable on the flank; I would only use him at 8 as cover if the starting 8 got injured.
Look at the sheer physicality in England’s defence today,and thats why Simmonds won’t make it. Can’t afford luxuries during such brutality
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:17 pm

Look at the sheer physicality in England’s defence today,and thats why Simmonds won’t make it. Can’t afford luxuries during such brutality
Spot on. Underhill and Curry are ferocious and do all the grunt around the park as well. Simmonds is a top player but I can’t see him breaking in unless there’s an injury.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:19 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:17 pm

Spot on. Underhill and Curry are ferocious and do all the grunt around the park as well. Simmonds is a top player but I can’t see him breaking in unless there’s an injury.
England's current game plan seems to be built entirely around brutal defence. I'd say there are a few back rowers ahead of Simmonds in that regard. Probably the reason Nathan Hughes doesn't get a look in either (that, and the mediocre performances he put in when he did get an opportunity in an England shirt).
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I guess Jones' view is that it is easier to concede a try than to make one.

Like many sports the errors cost more than the brilliance scores.

At international level you can't hide weaknesses and ability only goes so far in making up for that.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

mol2 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:38 pm I guess Jones' view is that it is easier to concede a try than to make one.

Like many sports the errors cost more than the brilliance scores.

At international level you can't hide weaknesses and ability only goes so far in making up for that.
Yet he picks Daly at Fullback...
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The exception that proves the rule!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I would guess his reasoning is that if the first line of defence does it's job, you don't need your fullback to make tackles. Therefore, sacrificing tackling ability at 15 is ok if it gets you a counter attacker who can also help you win the territory battle and kick 50m+ penalties.