Marcus Smith

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Re: Marcus Smith

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Smith would demand top billing so would be down to Ford or Smith for me. Ford was the reason we stayed up the season before last and is the best FH in England, IMHO.

Henry will improve, of that I have no doubt, and we have now some good strength in depth there now.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Redstripeman wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:38 pm
Cardiff Tig wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:13 pm
Scott1 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:13 pm Agree jgriffin,Henry looks the business!
Henry is 26 and hasn't shown much game management skills yet for Tigers. I'd probably swap him right now for Smith.
...would Smith want to come here to sit on the bench?
We could not afford Smith, the only way we get him is if we release Ford and he comes in as number one. I believe Ford is the better player, should be our skipper, he is at his peak....no contest!!
Yeah, I'm not saying it's a realistic option, but if we could have Ford and Smith I'd take that over Ford and Henry.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:44 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:29 pm Who knows when Ford will be fit again, in an ideal world he wont be able to get straight back into the starting line up.
Ford was being considered for Ireland but won’t make it so not far away then
That could go horribly wrong..
To win is not as important as playing with style!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I think he is too easy to read, he has this little jump and i'm sure most defenders can now read that, he needs a new arena to ply his trade, ie France.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

There is no logical reason for us to sign him unless Ford is leaving. When you are a starting FH in the Premiership why would you move to be the bench FH behind the international fly half you want to displace?

If George is set to leave why not?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

As of now Ford every time.Marcus Smith , whilst undoubtedly talented has yet to show the pragmatism and game management that an international Fly Half has to demonstrate when required.This may not always be the case but he (in my opinion) has to develop these other facets that the game requires and know when to use them.Ford has shown himself both diligent and hard working when it comes to self analysis and self improvement - one only has to witness the how his kicking has developed in terms of reliability and accuracy.This desire , allied to his own prodigious talent makes him both irreplaceable though ironically enough sometimes difficult to play along side as he may be that much better than his team mates.
Still, though , for me right now it has to be Gearge Ford.Leicester are lucky to have him.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

LE18 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 pm I think he is too easy to read, he has this little jump and i'm sure most defenders can now read that, he needs a new arena to ply his trade, ie France.
A juvenile habit he needs to lose, maybe once it gave him that extra half a second to read the game in front of him (at lower levels defenders may hesitate), but now he'll just get nailed. He reminds me a little of Henson, without half the talent.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Ford is in the 25 for Saturday so it looks like he is fit enough to play either as a 'starter' or 'finisher'.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

jgriffin wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:39 am
LE18 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:28 pm I think he is too easy to read, he has this little jump and i'm sure most defenders can now read that, he needs a new arena to ply his trade, ie France.
A juvenile habit he needs to lose, maybe once it gave him that extra half a second to read the game in front of him (at lower levels defenders may hesitate), but now he'll just get nailed. He reminds me a little of Henson, without half the talent.
:smt045
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

He just missed a relatively easy penalty.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Got that one.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Struggled tonight, but was hardly outshone by his opposite who no doubt will be given another star review!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:36 pm Struggled tonight, but was hardly outshone by his opposite who no doubt will be given another star review!
Sorry you don't like Exeter but both Simmons had good games, Sam in particular and Joe with good distribution and kicking his goals. I cant see why you wouldn't prefer Sam over Vunipola at the moment?
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:27 pm
JP14 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:36 pm Struggled tonight, but was hardly outshone by his opposite who no doubt will be given another star review!
Sorry you don't like Exeter but both Simmons had good games, Sam in particular and Joe with good distribution and kicking his goals. I cant see why you wouldn't prefer Sam over Vunipola at the moment?
I don't prefer Vunipola over Simmonds actually, the former should be dropped from England but I'm not sure that the latter is the answer. Hence why I was looking forward to a good performance by Dombrandt and was disappointed that he never really made his mark on the game.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’d rather have Curry at 8 than Simmonds. Agree that Vunipola is running out of chances though,needs a big game today.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer