Oceans Apart

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oceans Apart

Post by chipnchase »

The long awaited Dan Leo documentary 'Oceans Apart' focusing on the plight of Pacific Islands rugby is now available on Amazon Prime.

Well worth an hour of your time.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Oceans Apart

Post by chipnchase »

Assuming nobody has watched this or theres just zero interest in the Pacific Island nations.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

chipnchase wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:44 am Assuming nobody has watched this or theres just zero interest in the Pacific Island nations.
Intrested but with 2 kids under 3 not had time to watch yet...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I might give it a watch tonight if the kids let me have the remote....
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

chipnchase wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:44 am Assuming nobody has watched this or theres just zero interest in the Pacific Island nations.
First time in forum since the OP. Having taken up Amazon Prime for the Autumn Nations Cup, I'll have a look at some point soon.

Thanks for the info :smt023
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

It’s very thought provoking and in places shows the human side to it all.
Kind of makes me feel guilty for all the times I have thought “why don’t we get a Pacific Islander for this or that position”.
Well worth a watch and just the fact the level they are used.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Looking forward to watching it when I have time, thanks for the heads up :smt023
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Watched it last night, it's definitely eye opening!

World Rugby and the tier 1 RFU's need to have a look at themselves. It really wouldn't take much for them give a small amount of the gate fees to enhance the game in the smaller nations.

Also Tier 1 teams should be forced to play a match in a tier 2 nation when touring nearby. Aus and NZ should definitely be playing regular matches against pacific island teams.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

ads wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:38 am Watched it last night, it's definitely eye opening!

World Rugby and the tier 1 RFU's need to have a look at themselves. It really wouldn't take much for them give a small amount of the gate fees to enhance the game in the smaller nations.

Also Tier 1 teams should be forced to play a match in a tier 2 nation when touring nearby. Aus and NZ should definitely be playing regular matches against pacific island teams.
Can all of the islands host international rugby?
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

They might not all be Twickenham, but I'm sure they have a stadium each.
Tonga's has just been rebuilt following Typhoon damage, helped by NZ government.
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

I don't know how true this is, but wasn't one of the Wales v Tonga games moved to NZ because of travel times to the nearest healthcare or something similar? I seem to remember that the rugby infrastructure wasn't necessarily the issue but I can't remember any details so maybe I've made this up in my head...
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

A very thought provoking documentary, Leo should be very proud of the work he is doing. I can see Covid being conveniently used as an excuse to prevent unions from sharing gate receipts but it’s clear that World Rugby needs to make a stand and they can’t just let things go as they are.

They should let players like Charles Piutau and others play for the Islands, it’s stupid-mindedness and blind protectionism from unions that is holding the World game back, preventing the Pacific Island nations from developing whilst ensuring players can make enough money to send home for their families.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
tjs10inOz

Post by tjs10inOz »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:12 pm I don't know how true this is, but wasn't one of the Wales v Tonga games moved to NZ because of travel times to the nearest healthcare or something similar? I seem to remember that the rugby infrastructure wasn't necessarily the issue but I can't remember any details so maybe I've made this up in my head...
The 2017 Tonga v Wales fixture was moved to Eden Park in New Zealand as the redevelopment of the national stadium in Nuku’alofa was running behind schedule.
Formerly tjs10 but forgot my login info!
Now living in Western Australia and working in Hockey but still watching rugby whenever i can!