Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Post by Brutus »

On a purely superficial note, I think the new kit looked really smart on Saturday.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Brutus wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:06 pm On a purely superficial note, I think the new kit looked really smart on Saturday.
Pity there is not a replica shirt with collar and sleeves, my torso would just not fit this kit which really does look good.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

PaleoTiger wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:53 pm
JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:25 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:24 pm

It was pretty pathetic pair of yellow cards tbh, almost as daft as one in the Wales v Georgia game.
Unfortunately a stamp is a stamp, whether it was just a mediocre attempt or a forceful one.
It was his shirt, one of the angles showed him on the shirt, but the camera angle was terrible and implied elsewhere.

I thought it should've been a pen against Green and a yellow card for the stamp TBH, Green started it but Glaws hooker reacted badly. YC against Green was harsh I thought but he did clearly hold him in, that said they are not acts of equal reprimand though are they....? Hence pen against Green and YC for the stamp.
Makepeace had a very iffy game but in the case of this incident I thought he had it spot on. Green started it, then did it again which provoked a step more than a stamp. No handbags. Red would've spoilt the contest, 10 mins on the naughty step for both being so childish.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

DingDong wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:49 pm

Unfortunately a stamp is a stamp, whether it was just a mediocre attempt or a forceful one.
It was his shirt, one of the angles showed him on the shirt, but the camera angle was terrible and implied elsewhere.

I thought it should've been a pen against Green and a yellow card for the stamp TBH, Green started it but Glaws hooker reacted badly. YC against Green was harsh I thought but he did clearly hold him in, that said they are not acts of equal reprimand though are they....? Hence pen against Green and YC for the stamp.
Makepeace had a very iffy game but in the case of this incident I thought he had it spot on. Green started it, then did it again which provoked a step more than a stamp. No handbags. Red would've spoilt the contest, 10 mins on the naughty step for both being so childish.
Tbf given it was in the last 10min then it was not going to affect this match, would only affect things if there was a ban for further games.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Makepeace had a very iffy game.
Really? I thought the officials were pretty good. I’ve seen far worse from the more seasoned Premiership referees and I thought he handled most things well. Happy to stand corrected but surprised to see that comment tbh
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

It was pretty pathetic pair of yellow cards tbh, almost as daft as one in the Wales v Georgia game.

If Green starts it then it’s a penalty against him but as soon as the Glos player retaliates then any pen would be reversed, hence the outcome the officials came to.

Did seem harsh that the stamp (however hard, or not in this case) was deemed as serious as a shirt pull but I can again see how they decided on this outcome all things considered.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think the reasoning for Green's yellow is how it effects future behaviour. If players know that all this ridiculous shirt holding at rucks is going to give them an advantage when an opponent reacts, then they'll just do it more often.

The problem was 100% caused by Green and he deserved to join the Glouc player in the bin. That kind of behaviour needs to be "stamped out" so to speak...
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:39 pm I think the reasoning for Green's yellow is how it effects future behaviour. If players know that all this ridiculous shirt holding at rucks is going to give them an advantage when an opponent reacts, then they'll just do it more often.

The problem was 100% caused by Green and he deserved to join the Glouc player in the bin. That kind of behaviour needs to be "stamped out" so to speak...
That's all fine but the vast majority of those sort of "plays" go completely unpunished, otherwise Itoje would be sent off for 2 yellows in about the 12th minute of every game.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:19 pm
Tiglon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:39 pm I think the reasoning for Green's yellow is how it effects future behaviour. If players know that all this ridiculous shirt holding at rucks is going to give them an advantage when an opponent reacts, then they'll just do it more often.

That's all fine but the vast majority of those sort of "plays" go completely unpunished, otherwise Itoje would be sent off for 2 yellows in about the 12th minute of every game.
I expect that's because 99.9% of it has zero impact on the game.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

LE18 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:37 pm
Brutus wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:06 pm On a purely superficial note, I think the new kit looked really smart on Saturday.
Pity there is not a replica shirt with collar and sleeves, my torso would just not fit this kit which really does look good.
Like this you mean?

https://shop.leicestertigers.com/tigers/2021501000005
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

I'm a step harsher than you but mostly through precedent; e.g. Marler and Pieretto a couple of years ago, Marler got a yellow for holding Pieretto's leg, Pieretto got a red for stamping on Marler in return, so for me the yellow for Green was about right but the Glaws hooker should have had a red card and a ban.

I very much doubt the citing officer will do anything about it though, they don't seem to like to contradict decisions made on the field...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I was quite impressed with Makepeace, yes him and the officials should have disallowed our third try for a forward pass but I have seen worse offenders (Lewis Boyce’s try vs us springs to mind) go unimpeded. Apart from that I thought he had a solid game.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:59 am https://totalrugbyanalysis.com/analysis ... is-tactics

interesting morning read.
:smt023
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:33 pm

Makepeace had a very iffy game.
Really? I thought the officials were pretty good. I’ve seen far worse from the more seasoned Premiership referees and I thought he handled most things well. Happy to stand corrected but surprised to see that comment tbh
I think that was Makepeace's first Prem game in the middle, and a definite prospect. Refs manage 90% of the game and ref 10% of the time, his management at the set piece and breakdown lacked control and clarity. One example would be the line out, he constantly allowed Gloucester to jump across the gap to disrupt and steal the ball, the first line out the catcher landed 2m on Tigers side. A ridiculous amount of offsides and forward passes from both sides.

The breakdown got messy with bodies flying in off feat and in all directions, he needs to be far more decisive and consistent otherwise a more niggly game would go pear shaped. I genuinely think he's got the talent to reach the standard required, especially as refs like Foley, Dickson and Carley seem to struggle managing a game to a positive effect.

All this IMHO of course!