Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:14 am
Traveller wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:12 pm Only one game I know. But it is the first time in two / three years that Tigers have looked fitter than the opposition. Almost any opposition. The players actually seemed to be playing 'for' each other. Again, the first time there has been any semblance of 'team' in the last couple of years. Finally, whilst it is great to see that at long last we actually have some really abrasive back five players who can carry - Richard Wigglesworth is one of the best bits of business Tigers have done in recent times. I got quite demoralised watching him this afternoon, direct the team around the field with such ease - and then reminded myself he was playing for us.
This... that was another reason why yesterday's victory felt so good.
I also enjoyed the fact that the likes of Lavannini was in the dressing room photo after, it means he's involved in with the squad and testing so they're keeping him in the bubble. It will help with unity etc within the squad.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
KUSADASI TIGER

Post by KUSADASI TIGER »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:44 pm :smt050
SthrnTiger wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:21 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:13 pm

Basically boils down to the ref being a bit new and not very good and the TMO being hit and miss as usual. The TMO gets a minute or two in order to review every bit of the try fans get a lot longer. Officials aren't perfect.

I suspect if they'd looked at how the ball came out of Taute's hands it might have been given forward. Ditto the Cipriani pass.
Since the restart it seems that unless it’s really obvious they’re letting the marginal ones go. Hence why had a quick look at the Taute pass then moved on.
I think they are keen to speed up the decision making. They don't want five minutes spent examining something to the nth degree to then say, it's fine. Want to keep the game going. As you say not inspecting marginal to closely.
I watched the Bath v Newcastle match prior to our game,it was Maxwell-Keys in charge and he really infuriates me as every decision is debated with TMO ,he seems incapable of making his own mind up on anything.
be happy and save energy a smile uses less muscles than a frown
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Lot of comment about who Gloucester had missing and who we had missing, it doesn't matter, the game was between the two best teams that both clubs could put out on the day. That we were the stronger was a testament to or strength in depth a situation we have not had in recent years, is this due to a leveling of salaries with top players on less enabling us to spend more of the cap on squad players, or was it the result of shrewd recruitment? Probably a bit of both so then is it down to Jan McGinity or is this Geordan's legacy? I don't suppose we will ever really know but I enjoyed the win especially in the knowledge that we can, and I believe will get better than this, there is for the first time in years genuine competition for places all across the park.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

I see much talk of who Gloucester were missing, but to put it into context, these players were missing today for us
Genge, Mamukashvili, Leatigaga, De Bruin, Lavanini, Enever, Martin, Taufua, Youngs, Ford, Nadolo, Scott, Moroni, Murimurivalu.
That’s 14 players, and only two non-internationals on that list. Also allowing for the fact Kerr and Wallace I assume didn’t make the squad or were they injured/I’ll also? That’s some depth we are building, and in the modern attritional game, depth is what makes the difference, as you can’t always pick your preferred best starting side. Kudos to McGinity for assembling this, and to Borthwick and co for getting them pulling in the same direction.
As has been stated above, there is a strong SA influence now running through the squad, but that’s not a bad thing. There is also a strong academy influence returning to the squad, which is even better.
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

I think the signings of Bonilla and Wiggs could well be inspirational!!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:58 am Lot of comment about who Gloucester had missing and who we had missing, it doesn't matter, the game was between the two best teams that both clubs could put out on the day. That we were the stronger was a testament to or strength in depth a situation we have not had in recent years, is this due to a leveling of salaries with top players on less enabling us to spend more of the cap on squad players, or was it the result of shrewd recruitment? Probably a bit of both so then is it down to Jan McGinity or is this Geordan's legacy? I don't suppose we will ever really know but I enjoyed the win especially in the knowledge that we can, and I believe will get better than this, there is for the first time in years genuine competition for places all across the park.
GM may have set some of the fundamentals. Yesterday's players were virtually all either academy or Jan's recruitments

Academy
Youngs
Cole
Wells
Green (ok had a stint away)
Reffell
Steward
Clare (also had a stint away)
Bower
Heyes
Henderson
White

Jan McGinty recruits
Liebenberg (? Possibly in the pipeline before Jan)
Wiese
Wigglesworth
Henry
Potter
Porter
Taute (?Possibly pre Jan)
Van Wyk
Brink
Bonilla
Kelly

Exceptions

Only one Gienga...

Ok so that means we've had a lot of turnover, but the fact that so many of Jan's recruits seem to have been successful is a very good sign, and given us that much needed depth
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Ohhhhhhh.

A hair of the dog is required. Did we win yesterday?

Just so I can get the story straight down the "One Eyed Turk".
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

As Bondi didn't do the post match interview, is he confined with the lurgy?
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:34 am As Bondi didn't do the post match interview, is he confined with the lurgy?
Possibly though it could be just during the latest lockdown they've asked all staff not essential for playing to work from home
Brutus
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Brutus »

JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:14 am
Traveller wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:12 pm Only one game I know. But it is the first time in two / three years that Tigers have looked fitter than the opposition. Almost any opposition. The players actually seemed to be playing 'for' each other. Again, the first time there has been any semblance of 'team' in the last couple of years. Finally, whilst it is great to see that at long last we actually have some really abrasive back five players who can carry - Richard Wigglesworth is one of the best bits of business Tigers have done in recent times. I got quite demoralised watching him this afternoon, direct the team around the field with such ease - and then reminded myself he was playing for us.
This... that was another reason why yesterday's victory felt so good.
+1 It was awesome seeing the players congratulation each other over turnovers - they looked like they were loving it! I appreciate that sort of thing as much as any fancy try.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:34 am As Bondi didn't do the post match interview, is he confined with the lurgy?
That's why I thought but apparently he's in Australia.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Alive and well - except for being up at 4am to watch the match!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

wellstiger wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:48 am Well.
Day one and the best start for a few seasons. Actually got points on the board and rather than loose them we played for more. Try bonus point and a W all in one game.
I am not going to get carried away as we need to build. But the lads deserve to enjoy ,not only the W but in the way it was achieved.
I dare say it ,we looked to have a balance and a desire that has been missing. I also saw leadership and a togetherness.
Every one on the coaching team should take a bow for uniting a squad who for at least two seasons looked anything but.
Onwards and upwards. - I actually enjoyed a beer or four - :smt039
With a few exceptions such as Tom Youngs, Dan Cole and Harry Wells, the team was made up of players who weren't in the 1st team squad 2 seasons ago or even last season in some cases.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

strawclearer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:56 am
Alive and well - except for being up at 4am to watch the match!
That explains that then....unless he was the Pizza Shop man.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

KUSADASI TIGER wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:55 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:44 pm :smt050
SthrnTiger wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:21 pm

Since the restart it seems that unless it’s really obvious they’re letting the marginal ones go. Hence why had a quick look at the Taute pass then moved on.
I think they are keen to speed up the decision making. They don't want five minutes spent examining something to the nth degree to then say, it's fine. Want to keep the game going. As you say not inspecting marginal to closely.
I watched the Bath v Newcastle match prior to our game,it was Maxwell-Keys in charge and he really infuriates me as every decision is debated with TMO ,he seems incapable of making his own mind up on anything.
Agree with this, you'd watch one replay and know exactly what had happened, but MK and Video Ref had to spend 5 minutes discussing what was already obvious. At times it was the Video Refs fault, he seemed very slow or reluctant to show the best angles.