Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Leicester Tigers head coach Steve Borthwick confirmed Saturday's Gallagher Premiership season opener is set to go ahead after a Covid-19 outbreak within the camp was contained.

However, Tigers will be without the services of some players due to Covid-19 related reasons when the squad is selected to face Gloucester at the Welford Road on Saturday afternoon.
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 pm Leicester Tigers head coach Steve Borthwick confirmed Saturday's Gallagher Premiership season opener is set to go ahead after a Covid-19 outbreak within the camp was contained.

However, Tigers will be without the services of some players due to Covid-19 related reasons when the squad is selected to face Gloucester at the Welford Road on Saturday afternoon.
Well this was always likely. We'll just have to see who is available and who not...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Getting the excuses in early?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:03 pm Leicester Tigers head coach Steve Borthwick confirmed Saturday's Gallagher Premiership season opener is set to go ahead after a Covid-19 outbreak within the camp was contained.

Interesting. That’s at odds with what I read in the press earlier today -

Closing down training was the right call said Borthwick, who said, “we had enough cases to close the training ground and train individually. It was the right call.” He did confirm that no one will be missing due to Covid, only the already injured players.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

anz3001 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 11:02 pm

Closing down training was the right call said Borthwick, who said, “we had enough cases to close the training ground and train individually. It was the right call.” He did confirm that no one will be missing due to Covid, only the already injured players.
That is at odds with this article in rugbypass

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-rela ... nd-murphy/
“We had enough cases that meant the right thing to do was to immediately close the training ground and players do individual training,” said Borthwick. “It was the right decision to ensure that we clamped down as quickly as we could on any spread of the virus… yeah, there are players who will be missing for various reasons, including the virus.”
Given it sounds like someone in the media may have done a misquote of the same interview, I don't suppose you have a link to the article that says nobody will be missing due to Covid (or better yet the audio of the interview)
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Could just be taken out of context. It could be players are missing because they are isolating as opposed to having the virus (so not missing because they have the virus); semantics.

IIRC government guidelines can actually be interpreted so that someone who has recovered from the virus could actually return to work sooner than someone who is self isolation having been in contact with them (yes, I know that’s mad, but I’ve seen it first hand).
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:11 am

“We had enough cases that meant the right thing to do was to immediately close the training ground and players do individual training,” said Borthwick. “It was the right decision to ensure that we clamped down as quickly as we could on any spread of the virus… yeah, there are players who will be missing for various reasons, including the virus.”
Given it sounds like someone in the media may have done a misquote of the same interview, I don't suppose you have a link to the article that says nobody will be missing due to Covid (or better yet the audio of the interview)
No audio I’m afraid. I read it here (and have no idea how reliable the author is)

https://lastwordonsports.com/rugby/2020 ... wdFpd3dL5c
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:26 am Could just be taken out of context. It could be players are missing because they are isolating as opposed to having the virus (so not missing because they have the virus); semantics.

IIRC government guidelines can actually be interpreted so that someone who has recovered from the virus could actually return to work sooner than someone who is self isolation having been in contact with them (yes, I know that’s mad, but I’ve seen it first hand).
If the track and trace app goes ping then you have to self isolate. Could even be a member of the household. Gets very complicated doesn't it. Especially for those players who have children at school. If the child gets sent home to isolate because a classmate has the virus do you then have that player come and train? The child may show no symptoms and you can't test the player every day and it's probably impractical for them to completely avoid the child.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

sam16111986 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:40 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:26 am Could just be taken out of context. It could be players are missing because they are isolating as opposed to having the virus (so not missing because they have the virus); semantics.

If the track and trace app goes ping then you have to self isolate. Could even be a member of the household. Gets very complicated doesn't it. Especially for those players who have children at school. If the child gets sent home to isolate because a classmate has the virus do you then have that player come and train? The child may show no symptoms and you can't test the player every day and it's probably impractical for them to completely avoid the child.
With regards to that last point.

My nephew was required to self isolate as his preschool teacher had it. The information given to my sister-in-law clearly stated that my nephew was the ONLY one in the household who needed to self isolate unless my nephew development symptoms, the only other requirement was that he could only be cared for by household members, meaning that they needed someone else to take my other nephew to school as my sister-in-law needed to look after the one self isolating.

No if the rugby club chooses a different option because of the risk of an outbreak that's their own view...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

anz3001 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:35 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:11 am

No audio I’m afraid. I read it here (and have no idea how reliable the author is)

https://lastwordonsports.com/rugby/2020 ... wdFpd3dL5c
Cheers for the link, yeah I guess it's who made the more accurate notes on their interview... either way we'll not know now for sure till team announcement tommorow
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Wait until tomorrow?!!! With radical attitudes like that what will we fill these pages with?
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:13 am Wait until tomorrow?!!! With radical attitudes like that what will we fill these pages with?
I can think of some things, but they would almost certainly be moderated or removed...

Anyway 12.00 tomorrow we shall see, then we can all play the new game: "Injured, Covid or out of favour."

No doubt with an LTTV spin on selection...would rather a pre season LTTV about season in general.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

It is not unheard of for Rugby Pass to get it wrong.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:27 am
johnthegriff wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:13 am Wait until tomorrow?!!! With radical attitudes like that what will we fill these pages with?
I can think of some things, but they would almost certainly be moderated or removed...

Anyway 12.00 tomorrow we shall see, then we can all play the new game: "Injured, Covid or out of favour."

No doubt with an LTTV spin on selection...would rather a pre season LTTV about season in general.
I'm up for a game of that tommorow!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Just got the BT Match pass e-mail. Doesn't affect me as I have BT Sport but the e-mail says some have been breaking the rules, sharing the details. Why ? I would guess that if too many do it BT will withdraw the scheme and a few dishonest people will have ruined it for a lot of season ticket holders.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina