Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Shortbloke66

Re: Tigers vs Gloucester - Teams Up

Post by Shortbloke66 »

So 24 hours to reflect on the game, my views for what its worth.
1. Great start but only one win so we need to not get carried away and keep our feet on the ground (apart from Scott who always seems to stay knee deep - just joking Scott). Glaws were poor (see below)
2. Been mentioned by a couple here, but fitness was first class. Think over last couple of years and last 20 of a game. Compare Yesterday. We looked much stronger than the opposition. (Without fitness you lose the right to compete). Aled could be our best signing.
3. Not instinctively a fan of Ford senior but to be fair our defence yesterday, especially first 30 was excellent. Sure Glaws made mistakes but we applied a lot of pressure, at least in part we forced the errors IMO
4. Wrigglesworth/box kicking - credit where credit due, wiggle brought a 2 or 3 level step up in control, and suddenly our kicks were being competed!!!!!! (I say that as someone who lives in the same town as half the sarries squad including Farrell, and at my club tigers supporting is a lonely task compared to sarries/cheats - they still don’t get it)
5. Pack/back row - its quite a few years since i looked at the pack and thought that the oppo should be a bit nervous about our lot. Under M O’C it was frankly embarrassing. Now theres are a bit of (expletive) about our Pack (a Julian white would feel at home) and real quality in depth. Wiese and Brink - if they get better from where they started they - wow
6. Yesterday showed that we can attained a level (not obvious in last few years) and team ethic we can build on. (Lots of other things to improve on). We will know more when we go up against (the packs) of Chiefs, Sale, etc but feeling more optimistic than have for 2-3 years or more.
Fingers crossed
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

For those 'Keeping the Faith', keep it up :smt041
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:24 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:42 pm Having rewatched the footage, it does look like Green was in the area, but there’s no footage of him actually having a grab at Hanson’s jewels, I think it’s more likely to be the bottom of the jersey.
It was pretty pathetic pair of yellow cards tbh, almost as daft as one in the Wales v Georgia game.
Unfortunately a stamp is a stamp, whether it was just a mediocre attempt or a forceful one.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

JP14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:25 am
JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:42 pm Having rewatched the footage, it does look like Green was in the area, but there’s no footage of him actually having a grab at Hanson’s jewels, I think it’s more likely to be the bottom of the jersey.
It was pretty pathetic pair of yellow cards tbh, almost as daft as one in the Wales v Georgia game.
Unfortunately a stamp is a stamp, whether it was just a mediocre attempt or a forceful one.
The game really wants to have a look at itself, snidey holding & blocking goes unchallenged, mocking opposing players ignored & allowed, a bit of very mild shenanigans off you go..if its in the first 10 minutes, maybe but 10 to go, that's prime, get a grip lecture from sir.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Sometimes sport is beyond analysis.

Last season (AKA last month), we had a soft underbelly. One of the few positives was a reliable lineout.

This weekend, we were resolute. One of the few negatives was an unreliable lineout.

:smt102
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I thought the lineout was way better than last season, one under thrown and I think one not straight, pretty good result with the packs both closing the gap all the time.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

I didn't see the match (was busy at Twickenham :( )

Were we good or were they poor?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 am Sometimes sport is beyond analysis.

Last season (AKA last month), we had a soft underbelly. One of the few positives was a reliable lineout.

This weekend, we were resolute. One of the few negatives was an unreliable lineout.

:smt102
My view on this (as an ex-fullback/wing so not an expert)

Lineouts are dependent on exact timings.

One of the few things that need lots of drills to get right, therefore one of the things most hampered be training alone. I expect this to be rectified quickly...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Chobbsy wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:16 pm I didn't see the match (was busy at Twickenham :( )

Were we good or were they poor?
Bit of both, somewhere earlier in the thread there's a link to watch the full game too...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:23 am

The game really wants to have a look at itself, snidey holding & blocking goes unchallenged, mocking opposing players ignored & allowed, a bit of very mild shenanigans off you go..if its in the first 10 minutes, maybe but 10 to go, that's prime, get a grip lecture from sir.
Agree with that. I remember picking on a boy at primary school in the playground called Paul Carroll. He was smaller than me smacked me in the nose, made it bleed and me cry! The teacher on playground duty came over, asked what had happened, looked at me and said. "Well that's what happens when you are spiteful to people." Not, well you shouldn't have done x but you shouldn't have done y, you've both got detentions.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Lots of chat about the lineout being poor but the stats were 17/21. A few of those were early on but otherwise it was pretty solid I thought
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
iceman_19
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by iceman_19 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:44 pm Wiese
73 meteres
11 carries
6 Defenders beaten
7 Tackles
0 missed

Not a bad debut
Brilliant stats, and a really impressive debut. What's noticeable to me is that I think he has the potential to be quite a bit more powerful. He has a pretty big frame but not a huge amount of muscle (which he makes up for in aggression!). I am not saying he should bulk up at the expense of natural athleticism, but think of Alex Dombrandt and how much more effective he is now somebody has got him to sort his rig out. Aled will be very excited at the potential I feel!

As an aside, I remain so impressed with the two young Aussies, Potter and Porter, who we have signed. Their attitude is first rate and is an example to other young lads coming through. Potter rightly got a lot of plaudits, but I think - on watching it back - Porter had a very good outing too. He runs hard, is a very good defensive communicator and put in some big hits, particularly on Ludlam (I think) in the first half to prevent a try.
Tigers till I die

www.ruckedover.blogspot.com
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I chose to watch Tigers rather than England and was rewarded with an impressive display of aggressive tackling which warmed the cockles!!
It seemed to me that the level of intensity has gone up a few notches and if that can be maintained next match against London Irish then Tigers will be back in business.
Semper in excretia
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

Great result, but even better was the teamwork, an element that has been missing for ages.

Well done one and all. :smt023
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

It was his shirt, one of the angles showed him on the shirt, but the camera angle was terrible and implied elsewhere.

I thought it should've been a pen against Green and a yellow card for the stamp TBH, Green started it but Glaws hooker reacted badly. YC against Green was harsh I thought but he did clearly hold him in, that said they are not acts of equal reprimand though are they....? Hence pen against Green and YC for the stamp.