A Proper Clear Out

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Redstripeman

Re: A Proper Clear Out

Post by Redstripeman »

MCC1964 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:12 am
Redstripeman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:42 am
Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 pm From the evidence I honestly think that GM would make a good DoR somewhere else. I think he has too much history with the playing side here to have ever been OK with the Borthwick takeover.
..he wanted a say in picking the team, what Head Coach in their right mind would allow someone with Murphys' track record to have an input on team selection.
Just imagine Borthwicks' friends would be asking him the same question, he would be incredibly embarrassed. Murphy had no role left at the club and his promotions were poor judgment by the Board.
On what basis do you state this with certainty? Every interview I saw with whoever said Borthwick responsible for onfield and Murphy off field. In fact I distinctly remember Bondi getting totally exasperated about how many times he was was having to state this.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/geordan- ... selection/
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I feel there was a mix up in who was going to be in charge for some things on the field and off the field.

The whole thing sort of feels like Cockerill and Mauger.
Tigers maybe was hoping Murphy would be a Humphreys type DOR and Murphy maybe was thinking he was going to be a Richards/Cockerill DOR (Would make sense given they were his bosses).
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Redstripeman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:37 am
MCC1964 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:12 am
Redstripeman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:42 am

..he wanted a say in picking the team, what Head Coach in their right mind would allow someone with Murphys' track record to have an input on team selection.
Just imagine Borthwicks' friends would be asking him the same question, he would be incredibly embarrassed. Murphy had no role left at the club and his promotions were poor judgment by the Board.
On what basis do you state this with certainty? Every interview I saw with whoever said Borthwick responsible for onfield and Murphy off field. In fact I distinctly remember Bondi getting totally exasperated about how many times he was was having to state this.
https://www.rugbypass.com/news/geordan- ... selection/
Actually, that's exactly what was stated in LTTV. There was a panel consulting on team selection, including McGinity and Murphy, but as stated on LTTV, the final decision was Borthwick's. Your point (and that of the execrable RugbyPass) leaves out that info, and perpetuates the slagging of Murphy. Or was everyone lying on LTTV?
My question is, who are the Slaggers going to pick on next now Cohen, Underwood and Murphy have gone? :smt013
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

wellstiger wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:04 am Will Bt Sport still find GM and ask him how the game is going rather than asking the coach.

Like any organisation "the ship can only have one"Captain". Its been intimated we have had two.
We now know where the Buck stops, so the do players,supporters and the board.
No tittailing back to the nice big brother when the boss upsets you.
I foresee other departures however, down to finances/ COVID
Don't think that that has any bearing on things. How many times do you see any one other than Deano after a Falcons match? Or Rob Baxter for Exeter, or Declan Kidney for LI? Its all down to individuals.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Looking at the situation it tells me that Murphy still had more control on team affairs as I said all along and that was never going to work. At least theres only one voice now.,
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:58 pm Looking at the situation it tells me that Murphy still had more control on team affairs as I said all along and that was never going to work. At least theres only one voice now.,
Or to put another way....

regardless of a lack of evidence either way, I’ve decided I was right and will disregard any other view or evidence to the contrary
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

DeadlyDunc wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:27 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:58 pm Looking at the situation it tells me that Murphy still had more control on team affairs as I said all along and that was never going to work. At least theres only one voice now.,

regardless of a lack of evidence either way, I’ve decided I was right and will disregard any other view or evidence to the contrary
The tactics didn’t change one bit,it was more dross. Tells me that Murphy still had his stamp on it 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:31 pm

The tactics didn’t change one bit,it was more dross. Tells me that Murphy still had his stamp on it 👍
Well we shall find out shortly....kicking isn't wrong, kicking badly is, it also won't fill WR even if we win games.
The mindless game plan predated Murphy.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:54 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:31 pm

Well we shall find out shortly....kicking isn't wrong, kicking badly is, it also won't fill WR even if we win games.
The mindless game plan predated Murphy.
..we grew progressively worse season after season and the mindless kicking has been a feature all of last season. Our inability to go through hands and lack of knowhow to break open teams only left a kicking game in order to go forward.
Any perceived game plan went out the window and kicking good ball away became our go to move.
It is strange that Murphy opted to take the job offer from Interim Coach to (Head Coach) when his previous games played showed loss after loss after loss.
The more earnest on this forum would say he was stepping up in a situation that required some form of stability and leadership. What was required was Murphy to take a good look at himself and insist with the Board, that a more experienced Coach should be brought in, to do the job he, obviously was not capable of doing.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

Geordan Murphy and Rory Underwood. Can anyone remember whether they ever played in the same team? Did a very young Geordie take the field with an about-to-retire Rory in 1997?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I recall Murphy saying in one of the post match interviews on Radio Leicester that as DOR he would have final say on selection when Borthwick arrived.

Any premiership level he is not really ready for a head coach roll. He needs to go and learn how to be a coach. As for DOR, that is a role for someone with way more experience.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

mol2 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:46 pm I recall Murphy saying in one of the post match interviews on Radio Leicester that as DOR he would have final say on selection when Borthwick arrived.

Any premiership level he is not really ready for a head coach roll. He needs to go and learn how to be a coach. As for DOR, that is a role for someone with way more experience.
I recall that others (RB?) have pointed out that this was in February (?) and was amended by GM himself later on.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:55 pm
mol2 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:46 pm I recall Murphy saying in one of the post match interviews on Radio Leicester that as DOR he would have final say on selection when Borthwick arrived.

I recall that others (RB?) have pointed out that this was in February (?) and was amended by GM himself later on.
..why was it that Murphy did the post match interviews?
You would have felt that Borthwick would have been keen to increase his own profile as he was the Head Coach and strategies and playing style would have been his remit.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Well said Dunc
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

At last, but it's a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted. We have been shooting ourseves in the foot for the past five seasons. Better late than never I suppose, but what a circus! Now let's see what S B can do.