A Proper Clear Out

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: A Proper Clear Out

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:52 pm I always like to check the circumstances. I met Gary Lineker, supposedly a nice bloke, at Wentworth GC, and he was brusque to the point of rudeness to all an sundry (and isn't he small!), turn out he was in the throes of an unpleasant divorce or similar. So when I hear about how horrible someone Is, I like context - was it face to face (everyone on here who has met Mike Ford says how he is pleasant and has time for people), in the context of some horrible circumstance or a product of that time, or simply working for Craig? Given that some players at Bath had interesting habits, was that a factor?
I think we need to know context in all stuff - was Smurf a lovely bloke and great at attracting talent to the club, but basically clueless coaching people who didn't have his extravagant talents? Is Tigers a poisoned chalice?
I'm not dull enough to not know that some people are toxic. I've had relationships with one or two (not at the same time). But I know too well that circumstance creates behaviour.
+1
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

From the evidence I honestly think that GM would make a good DoR somewhere else. I think he has too much history with the playing side here to have ever been OK with the Borthwick takeover.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

What I really hope Murphy can do is find a assistant role somewhere and build up at his own speed.
Like Allen is doing.

Only 42.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:52 pm I always like to check the circumstances. I met Gary Lineker, supposedly a nice bloke, at Wentworth GC, and he was brusque to the point of rudeness to all an sundry (and isn't he small!), turn out he was in the throes of an unpleasant divorce or similar. So when I hear about how horrible someone Is, I like context - was it face to face (everyone on here who has met Mike Ford says how he is pleasant and has time for people), in the context of some horrible circumstance or a product of that time, or simply working for Craig? Given that some players at Bath had interesting habits, was that a factor?
I think we need to know context in all stuff - was Smurf a lovely bloke and great at attracting talent to the club, but basically clueless coaching people who didn't have his extravagant talents? Is Tigers a poisoned chalice?
I'm not dull enough to not know that some people are toxic. I've had relationships with one or two (not at the same time). But I know too well that circumstance creates behaviour.
I always though GM might have the same issue as Glen Hoddle when coaching, that he was still the most skilful on the training pitch.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 pm From the evidence I honestly think that GM would make a good DoR somewhere else. I think he has too much history with the playing side here to have ever been OK with the Borthwick takeover.
..he wanted a say in picking the team, what Head Coach in their right mind would allow someone with Murphys' track record to have an input on team selection.
Just imagine Borthwicks' friends would be asking him the same question, he would be incredibly embarrassed. Murphy had no role left at the club and his promotions were poor judgment by the Board.
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Will Bt Sport still find GM and ask him how the game is going rather than asking the coach.

Like any organisation "the ship can only have one"Captain". Its been intimated we have had two.
We now know where the Buck stops, so the do players,supporters and the board.
No tittailing back to the nice big brother when the boss upsets you.
I foresee other departures however, down to finances/ COVID
Cardiff Tig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Cardiff Tig »

Redstripeman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:42 am
Cardiff Tig wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:17 pm From the evidence I honestly think that GM would make a good DoR somewhere else. I think he has too much history with the playing side here to have ever been OK with the Borthwick takeover.
..he wanted a say in picking the team, what Head Coach in their right mind would allow someone with Murphys' track record to have an input on team selection.
Just imagine Borthwicks' friends would be asking him the same question, he would be incredibly embarrassed. Murphy had no role left at the club and his promotions were poor judgment by the Board.
Yep, I completely agree.

You can imagine if he was hired at another club with no input on the playing side but overseeing the non-playing side, more like Humphreys did at Gloucs, he could be well suited to it. I guess it all depends on how much he has been involved in the changes before he was fired, which I guess we'll never know.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:05 pm
I always though GM might have the same issue as Glen Hoddle when coaching, that he was still the most skilful on the training pitch.
The way it’s going, getting hold of Hoddle’s faith healer may be needed....Eileen Drewery wasn’t it ?
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

It was Friday the 13th, Black Friday too and Rugby Post reporting Dominic Cummings seen at Mattioli Woods Welford Road. :smt002
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

wormus wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:11 am It was Friday the 13th, Black Friday too and Rugby Post reporting Dominic Cummings seen at Mattioli Woods Welford Road. :smt002
Along with Alex Sanderson...... :smt002
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:17 am
wormus wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:11 am It was Friday the 13th, Black Friday too and Rugby Post reporting Dominic Cummings seen at Mattioli Woods Welford Road. :smt002
One of those 2 is someone with a problem telling the truth, eyesight issues & debatable views.......

the other is Dominic Cummings.....
To win is not as important as playing with style!
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:05 pm
Alan Shearer (an honest Geordie) stated that Hoddle was one of the most intelligent coaches he played under.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

100% agree kept seeing lots of photos of him on twitter out watching all the training. It may not always be realised but to begin with, to allow the head coach to get players respect& to translate his ideas to players, Murphy almost needed to stay further away from it all. Otherwise it's that subtle undermining, players glancing over thinking about what GM wants to see not what SB has asked them to do.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Redstripeman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:42 am
On what basis do you state this with certainty? Every interview I saw with whoever said Borthwick responsible for onfield and Murphy off field. In fact I distinctly remember Bondi getting totally exasperated about how many times he was was having to state this.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:25 am
WhitecapTiger wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:17 am
One of those 2 is someone with a problem telling the truth, eyesight issues & debatable views.......

the other is Dominic Cummings.....
:smt005 :smt005
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni