Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

daktari
Silver Member
Silver Member

Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Post by daktari »

Just announced Georgan has left the club.
find a better way of life, http://www.marillion.com

marillion 19, coming ....er not sure..
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Geordan Murphy

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Having seen he's now left the club after over 20 odd years here. I want to say a massive thanks to him, for whatever his flaws and faults as a coach he was a true Tigers legend as a player!

As someone who played wing and fullback growing up with him in a Tigers shirt he was one of my favourite players!
Last edited by TigerFeetSteve on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: Geordan Murphy

Post by TheTigerKing »

Something huge is happening.

Regardless of his being out of his depth as head coach, he's been a truly fantastic servant and has done great things on the pitch and in talent development off it.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Tom cracking the whip.

And honestly it worries me that Tom hasn’t exactly made great calls in this department.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Thank you.
Shame you received the poisoned chalice before you were ready.
We should remember all the good things.
TigerBoy1880
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by TigerBoy1880 »

Thanks for your amazing service to the club Geordan!

We are not recruiting a new DOR but will be for someone to deal with the off the field stuff. Any takers for Pat Howard?!
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Gutted but not surprised, thanks for everything Geordie. Hopefully see him back at the club in some capacity in the future.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Sad that Geordan has gone. Loved watching him play and would have liked him to have gone out with some wins this season!
All the best to his family and hopefully he will find a place that suits him in rugby.

To be honest though I really do think Borthwick needs to be solely in charge.
This could though damage our chances of avoiding relegation as too many coaches have gone!
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

Thanks for your service Geordan. Legend as a player.
The next chapter begins personally and for the club.

As they say Mr Borthwick "The buck stops here"
Caerlyr Osprey
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Caerlyr Osprey »

I've got a lot of rugby shirts in the wardrobe, but only two have have names and numbers on them. One is an old London Welsh shirt with a Number 8 on the back for Mervyn Davies. The other is the first Tigers shirt that Canterbury did for us and it's got 15 and Murphy on it. Thank you for everything you've done for us Geordan.
Swansea Cricket & Football Club - The First British Club Side To Beat The All Blacks, Springboks & Wallabies.
The Ospreys The First Welsh Region To Beat A Touring Side
Leicester Football Club The First Back To Back Winners of The European Cup
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

One of the greatest to of worn the shirt, we are now left with a small unproven coaching team I would guess McGinity gets a new job title.

I think we know why Rory left & possibly the others.

At present the club looks like a complete joke in many ways.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Wow! Didn’t see that coming to be honest. Firstly have to say that Geordean Murphy was a top top club man and great player and really wanted Tigers to succeed.
Yesterday I listened on Radio 5 to the biographer of Jürgen Klopp, very interesting indeed. In this new book she talks about Klopp coming into Liverpool and basically saying, we cannot be continuously drowned under the weight of what a great club this used to be! Forget that, forget them, We have make our greatness starting now.
Maybe now Steve Borthwick will be freed from the shackles of this clubs past to forge a new culture and a new greatness with the future crop of players and staff. I hope so.
In the meantime, Good luck Geordy wherever you end up, I do believe he will be successful elsewhere when he to his freed from the chains of expectation.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Great player,great servant! All the best for the future! Fantastic news for the club as a team though,now we can move on!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Louis

Post by Louis »

All the best, Geordie. You've been a superb Tiger and a great part of the club. Sorry to see you go.

(I'm rather surprised as it goes...)
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Great player, great guy, given the toughest of starts as Head Coach and again as DoR, roles he didn’t seem happy in and that translated to the field. He helped switch toward greater trust in our own home-grown youngsters and promised much without truly galvanising the squad to perform. Too nice? Too inexperienced? Too susceptible to the incoming new broom’s clarity of vision and purpose?

The statement from Geordie is interesting in what it omits. Thanks family, friends, teammates and colleagues but does not thank the club per se, instead going to the ‘you find out who your friends are’ line - the ‘mutual agreement’ can’t have been too easy for him after all this time. Those who thought him protected by his past and by Peter Tom haven’t quite had it right imo.