Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Re: Geordan Murphy leaves the club!

Post by POSTIGER »

Just when we think we've hit rock bottom, we descend into new levels of chaos.
I saw Marika Vunibaka play
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:34 pm
strawclearer wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:17 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:12 pm

That is a very real danger.

On the other hand, most of the other coaches in professional rugby will have been looking at Murphy recently and asking how he hadn't already been sacked. All this tells them, if we're being brutally honest, is that after a couple of years of failure Tigers will eventually sack you. What it might also tell people is that we are no longer a club who always sides with the Old Boys, that disregards ideas from outside and people who aren't part of the Tigers clique, that we're now open to the very best coming here and helping us be better. A meritocracy at last, no longer an old boys club.
Yes but, sadly, we'll find it much harder to recruit the best when we have a well-earned reputation for treating people very shabbily - even those who do need to go.

As to the Murphy / Borthwick dynamic, we didn't need to "give it to Christmas" - it's not worked from the off.
Possibly, you obviously have more inside knowledge than I, so I can't comment on how people have been treated. I am surprised you say that Murphy/Borthwick didn't work from the start, because 2 months ago (after they had worked together for 2 months) you told me very in no uncertain terms that Borthwick only wanted to be here if he got to work for GM.
Correct. Didn't last long, did it!?!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

strawclearer wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:37 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:34 pm
strawclearer wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:17 pm
Yes but, sadly, we'll find it much harder to recruit the best when we have a well-earned reputation for treating people very shabbily - even those who do need to go.

As to the Murphy / Borthwick dynamic, we didn't need to "give it to Christmas" - it's not worked from the off.
Possibly, you obviously have more inside knowledge than I, so I can't comment on how people have been treated. I am surprised you say that Murphy/Borthwick didn't work from the start, because 2 months ago (after they had worked together for 2 months) you told me very in no uncertain terms that Borthwick only wanted to be here if he got to work for GM.
Correct. Didn't last long, did it!?!
Nope! Onwards and upwards. If we win our first 5 games we'll forget all about this...
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Really wild theory (and I don't think it's likely to be true)

Based solely on the timings of this.

What if GM (or one of the coaches who's left who GM subsequently backed) either broke or authorised the breaking of a covid protocol?

I will emphasize that I have no facts. In fact I think it's quite unlikely to be the case but the timings of all this leaves a lot to be desired.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
teds
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by teds »

Credit to Rory for drawing a red line. Disappointing but not surprising to hear nothing from Ben Kay. Unfortunately Murphy is not the first total Tigers legend to be treated poorly.

As I think Tiglon expressed it, the club has put all its eggs into Borthwick’s basket. It’s unclear if Borthwick wanted this or is whether he is up to it. I am not confident.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Posters refer to Geordans vision, but if anyone truly had a vision to take our club forward it was Pat Howard. That vision was commissioned by and delivered in his report to the chairman.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

sapajo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:17 pm Posters refer to Geordans vision, but if anyone truly had a vision to take our club forward it was Pat Howard. That vision was commissioned by and delivered in his report to the chairman.
But what did it have to say? Geordan to go? Boris etc etc?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Billb wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:26 pm My last post has strangely disappeared. I put forward the view that it’s about time for a clear out at the top of the board and a introduction of someone who will put a lot of money into the club, not hotels.
Why have Boris, Rory, and now Geordan been shown the door. What is the background to all these departures when we were given the story that there was a ‘vision’ for the new season. That vision was supposed to have been developed by Geordan. Is there a new’vision’ and if so , what is it.
How many times does it have to be stated that the hotel is not costing tigers a penny :smt013
A2O
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

sapajo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:17 pm Posters refer to Geordans vision, but if anyone truly had a vision to take our club forward it was Pat Howard. That vision was commissioned by and delivered in his report to the chairman.
As a club, it's not been great since Paddy left.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

It must have taken a lot, or a effective sacking, to have Boris go after he'd tolerated a second iteration of MOC.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

LE18 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:19 pm
But what did it have to say? Geordan to go? Boris etc etc?
I doubt that, my point was where the true vision for the future running of the club actually came from.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

jgriffin wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:32 pm It must have taken a lot, or a effective sacking, to have Boris go after he'd tolerated a second iteration of MOC.
He came in after Cockers left. He didn't leave when Mauger was HC, even though we were mediocre. He didn't leave when MOC was HC, even though we were worse than mediocre. He didn't leave when Murphy was HC, even though we were still worse than mediocre.

Perhaps he was just happy in a nice comfortably mediocre environment and is not up for dealing with the pressure and intensity Borthwick has apparently brought. Perhaps he didn't tolerate MOC's reign, but actually enjoyed it.

We talk about how great a job Boris did, but it's also important to recognise that during his time we seem to have spent more on front row wages than every other club in the league. Has our scrum been decent because he's a great coach, or because we spent too much cap on props and hookers?

None of the above is fact, just playing devil's advocate.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Makes me sad that he's gone, he's such a legend of Tigers. But....

If it makes the club start going the right direction, fair enough.....

Thanks for all you have done and all you tried to do for the club Geordy.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Legend as a player gave his all as a coach but sadly it seemed beyond his capabilities, best of luck for the future Geordan
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Actually, sudden/unhappy departures are nothing new at Tigers. In relatively recent times I can think of quite a few who have unexpectedly moved on - Peter Wheeler, Deano, John Wells, Cockers, Lewis Moody, to name a few. Now Boris, Rory Underwood and Smurph are added to the list of Tigers greats. To me these latest departures reinforce my belief that Tigers have totally lost their way. This also confirms that the so-called 'Tigers family', if there ever was such a thing, is now utterly mythical.
All of these have happened under one person's watch.

I would need to change 'name' if I was to stay on this forum, but for me this is the last straw. Tigers have been a hard watch in recent times, and this is the final straw for me.

Good luck to Mr Borthwick - watch your back!

Over and out!