RagingBull
Super User
Super User

2020/21 Academy squad

Post by RagingBull »

Loosehead: William Elsmore, Jack Hurst, Jacob Odams, Seb Smith
Hooker: Charlie Barraclough, Tom Coton, Max Nolan, Joe Plunkett
Tighthead: Dan Clements, Oliver Crane, Tim Hoyt
Lock: Archie Benford, Rob Carmichael, Lewis Chessum, Joshua Manz, Callum Oakden, Dan Ormerod, Callum Richardson, Cameron Tasker,
Back Row: Oliver Arnold, Finn Carnduff, Jay Ecclesfield, Kip Horton, Simon Koroiyadi, Noah Leo, Chester Owen, Anthony Pedlar, Philippe Tandoh
Scrum Half: Jed Gelderbloom, Fergus Makepeace, Ollie Royer,
Fly Half: Max Fairlie, Divan Grobler, Morgan Meredith, Harry Read, Tom Taylor, Jack Vernum, Joseph Woodward
Centre: Cormac Calnan, Jacob Cusick, Samuel Jacques, George Loose, Felix Martin, Saimone Tobeyaweni, Oscar Van De Venter,
Back 3: Tom Allen, Henry Joule, Phoenix Laulu-Togagae, Callum Leat, James Lewis, Danny Meredith, Ben Moore, Roman Priestley-Nangle, Jake Sterland, Jack Taylor,

55 player squad.

Final years
Cormac Calnan, Lewis Chessum, Dan Clements, Tom Coton, Oliver Crane, Jacob Cusick, Jay Ecclesfield, Jed Gelderbloom, Noah Leo, Tim Hoyt, Phoenix Laulu-Togagae, Felix Martin. Danny Meredith, Callum Oakden, Anthony Pedlar, Joe Plunkett, Roman Priestley-Nangle, Harry Read, Ollie Royer, Seb Smith, Jake Sterland, Philippe Tandoh, Saimone Tobeyaweni, Jack Vernum
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: 2020/21 Academy squad

Post by kpj tiger »

Who are the ones to watch from the final year crop? I see there are a couple names there that weren't included on the website before notably Phoenix Laulu-Togagae and Saimone Tobeyaweni. Is Laulu-Togagae a relative of the Samoan rugby league player?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I always find the players who are just joined who are in their first year interesting. Usually means the club have scouted them as players for the development squad.
I believe he is Quentin Laulu-Togagae son.

Ones to watch in their final years IMO
The two props
Seb Smith and Tim Hoyt
Oli Chessum's brother Lewis
Philippe Tandoh
Jake Sterland
Are players I expect to get a senior contract.

Honestly could be quite a big amount of players moving up.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I suppose this year there is quite a big intake due to the lack of opportunities to watch and assess the youngsters over the past 9 months.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Chessum Jnr is supposed to be the taller if the brothers so if he bulks out like his brother has he'll be quite a unit. Could be another lock off the production line.

Joule was part of the England north training squad so might have something about him. Is he a member of the family who own that clothing company that sponsors us? If so he'll be the best dressed member of the intake.

Phoenix Laulu-Togagae is quite a name. Hope he makes it.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:16 pm
Yes with a name like that I hope he will fit into the 4XL shirt that his name will command! :smt045
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

wormus wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 12:15 am
sam16111986 wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:16 pm
Yes with a name like that I hope he will fit into the 4XL shirt that his name will command! :smt045
Also think of the puns the club media will be able use with a name like Phoenix. Him and Potter in the same back three they'll be spoilt for choice.

PLT's dad seemed to know the way to the try line in rugby league, hopefully he's inherited that.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Sounds like contracts have been given etc
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:56 am Sounds like contracts have been given etc
Must be hard to give out with no matches - looking forwards to seeing who the players stepping up are!! :smt038
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I think it's unfortunate, but we're not going to be able to see them play.

That means they need to judge who to give contracts mainly based on what's been seen in previous years along with where the coaches feel the need is in the development squad.

By the fact that these contracts along with the two guys the rumours say we've got signed up so far means we may well be planning a big 🍿🍿🍿🍿🍿 morning soon!!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Don't know about that they usually wait to announce the academy contracts at the end of season pretty much.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:25 pm Don't know about that they usually wait to announce the academy contracts at the end of season pretty much.
True but is that normally to do with letting them play and develop before making the calls on who's contracted. If they've already given them the contracts, can definitely see them announcing with the rest.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:30 pm
RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:25 pm Don't know about that they usually wait to announce the academy contracts at the end of season pretty much.
True but is that normally to do with letting them play and develop before making the calls on who's contracted. If they've already given them the contracts, can definitely see them announcing with the rest.
Not really the league season finishes in February anyway usually.
They tend to want to give those players who didn't get contracts time to either look elsewhere or look at other options on the whole.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

U-18s as part of an elite performance group have been exempted from the restrictions on sport, so at least I'd assume these guys have been training and playing games within that pretty regularly?

I still sort of hope they can play an U-18s comp this summer, even just a mini one of 3 or 4 games to give everyone a chance to show scouts at their own and other clubs what they can do.

It's last years leavers that are probably most at risk of longer term damage, this summer there will be no Dan Kelly's bouncing back into the Prem after being released by another team and impressing at National League level for instance.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I had heard that Tandoh has left/not been offered a contract, is this true?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni