2020/21 Academy squad

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigercub21

Re: 2020/21 Academy squad

Post by tigercub21 »

JP14 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:52 pm I had heard that Tandoh has left/not been offered a contract, is this true?
Yes he put on his instagram in a tigers kit saying ‘au revoir’. Excuse my french...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Feel there might be a few players who will be very unlucky to miss out.
Tandoh certainly being one of them.

Cormac Calnan has a highlights reel up on youtube, also usually a sign on the whole.
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

Expect to see Jake Sterland offered a contract. Have heard he's very highly rated. Same goes for Hoyt
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Seb Smith, Jake Sterland and Lewis Chessum I would imagine are nailed on.

Then I think
Tim Hoyt, Jacob Cusick, Henry Joule, Callum Oakden, Jed Gelderbloom and Joe Plunkett
Could be close to getting one based on last season.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Former Academy lad Jordan Tebbatt is in the England Under 20’s training camp
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Phoenix Laulu-Togagae signs a 1 year deal with League side Keighley Cougars
He played with his farther this weekend v Bradford Bulls
https://keighleycougars.uk/plt-joins-the-pride

Interesting according to his Father he's with Tigers next season though, which I believe would mean he will be in the development squad, unless it's potentially one of those Playing at Loughborough and keeping a eye on him cases

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... at-3166869

Laulu-Togaga’e known as QLT – explained how it came about that his talented son arrived at Lawkholme Lane with him.
“He’s with Leicester Tigers’ academy and their season got cancelled just after new year so that means they won’t play any games,” he said.
“I contacted our coach at Keighley, Rhys Lovegrove, just to see if he could come train with us, just for his own development.
“But he said why don’t we sign him as a squad player and if we think he’s good enough he’s then in position to play?
“I asked Leicester and they were really happy with it as it meant he could play some form of rugby as otherwise he wouldn’t be playing for a full year.
“I was really thankful to them and Keighley - Rhys and the owner Mick O’Neill - for allowing it to happen.”

Laulu-Togaga’e said: “I just want him to do well. Obviously his dream is to play professional rugby and, because he’s been at Leicester Tigers for the last two or three years, he wants to chase rugby union for now.
“But at the same time, his education comes first so I’ve told him that he needs to get his education sorted in case he needs that to fall back on.
“He’s going to try and do an economics degree and wants to go to Loughborough University who have a partnership with Leicester.”
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:46 pm Phoenix Laulu-Togagae signs a 1 year deal with League side Keighley Cougars
He played with his farther this weekend v Bradford Bulls
https://keighleycougars.uk/plt-joins-the-pride

Interesting according to his Father he's with Tigers next season though, which I believe would mean he will be in the development squad, unless it's potentially one of those Playing at Loughborough and keeping a eye on him cases

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/r ... at-3166869

Laulu-Togaga’e known as QLT – explained how it came about that his talented son arrived at Lawkholme Lane with him.
“He’s with Leicester Tigers’ academy and their season got cancelled just after new year so that means they won’t play any games,” he said.
“I contacted our coach at Keighley, Rhys Lovegrove, just to see if he could come train with us, just for his own development.
“But he said why don’t we sign him as a squad player and if we think he’s good enough he’s then in position to play?
“I asked Leicester and they were really happy with it as it meant he could play some form of rugby as otherwise he wouldn’t be playing for a full year.
“I was really thankful to them and Keighley - Rhys and the owner Mick O’Neill - for allowing it to happen.”

Laulu-Togaga’e said: “I just want him to do well. Obviously his dream is to play professional rugby and, because he’s been at Leicester Tigers for the last two or three years, he wants to chase rugby union for now.
“But at the same time, his education comes first so I’ve told him that he needs to get his education sorted in case he needs that to fall back on.
“He’s going to try and do an economics degree and wants to go to Loughborough University who have a partnership with Leicester.”
All sounds promising to me. He’s getting an opportunity to train and possibly play, and that’s invaluable to young players when there isn’t much opportunity. Hopefully he continues the strong link with Loughborough uni - done well with them and Kelly coming through among others!

Not surprised if he gets a development contract. Intrigued to see who else gets given one.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Listening to a interview with Phoenix and his dad sounds like 5 guys are doing a program with Tigers and Loughborough.
Would be joining Luke Phonix and Ollie Smith.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:28 pm Listening to a interview with Phoenix and his dad sounds like 5 guys are doing a program with Tigers and Loughborough.
Would be joining Luke Phonix and Ollie Smith.
Have you a link to the interview? Good that they’re keeping tags on some players who have left. Like Chessum, Henderson, Clare even always good to bring back players if they show promise even if they don’t make it first time around.
Was always surprised to see Ollie Smith not given a contract, so good to see/hear there’s some form of link with us and Lough Uni out there!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Thanks RB!
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Has anyone else heard about the behind closed doors England U20s friendly that went on a couple of weekends ago? Seems a bizarre scenario but on the bright side Archie Vanes and Emeka Ilione were both in the matchday squad.

Particularly pleased for Vanes after he was unexpectedly left out of the U20 EPS.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

During the instagram live feed I noticed there was a fair bit of chat regarding Morgan Meridith (was reminded of it when I saw a screenshot of the reveal) one of the academy fly halves, this could have been friends and families, but I'm guessing that the development squad contracts for most of these guys are fairly well signed, but didn't think he was one of the final year guys?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Meredith is currently 16, still another year in the academy.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

ABClub wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:55 am Has anyone else heard about the behind closed doors England U20s friendly that went on a couple of weekends ago? Seems a bizarre scenario but on the bright side Archie Vanes and Emeka Ilione were both in the matchday squad.

Particularly pleased for Vanes after he was unexpectedly left out of the U20 EPS.
There's been two matches, first against a London Irish side, then this past weekend against a Newcastle Falcons side.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.