Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Wigglesworth in!

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:41 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:47 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:43 pm

We signed the bloke...the clubs moral compass is defective at present.
we had a player convicted of assaulting a police officer, I don't remember you crying about that... Stop being so Holier than thou, it doesn't wash.

The only thing Wigglesworth is responsible for are his own actions and the punishment over the Barbarians breach is fine, he did nothing wrong at Saracens
We all know the Manu thing wasn't quite as straightforward as stated, it was a point of stress between Manu & the Club.
Wigglesworth benefited financially at the Cheats, people seem to forget that aspect.
It was a 10 week ban initially until they copped a plea when they got found out.
Trust me I am definitely not holy.
yes he did but nothing he did was Illegal, the benefits aren't illegal either, they just have to count under the cap, you are holding Wigglesworth responsible for the actions of others and frankly come across as having a rather pathetic tantrum over the cap breach
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I've never agreed with the "blame the players" approach to the Salarycens thing.

Nothing Wigglesworth did was against the rules - it was Saracens not counting it towards the salary cap and not reporting it to the salary cap people that was the problem. None of that is even remotely Wigglesworth's responsibility. Even the idea that he must have known what was going on is a bit silly - he just wouldn't have access to that information.

What he did while with the Baba's was against the rules and was his responsibility. I am pleased that he and the others have been appropriately punished for that and I am happy to move on.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:50 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:47 pm

we had a player convicted of assaulting a police officer, I don't remember you crying about that... Stop being so Holier than thou, it doesn't wash.

The only thing Wigglesworth is responsible for are his own actions and the punishment over the Barbarians breach is fine, he did nothing wrong at Saracens
We all know the Manu thing wasn't quite as straightforward as stated, it was a point of stress between Manu & the Club.
Wigglesworth benefited financially at the Cheats, people seem to forget that aspect.
It was a 10 week ban initially until they copped a plea when they got found out.
yes he did but nothing he did was Illegal, the benefits aren't illegal either, they just have to count under the cap, you are holding Wigglesworth responsible for the actions of others and frankly come across as having a rather pathetic tantrum over the cap breach
Like drug taking in Athletics & cycling it's a stain on the sport & makes you question everything you see, are Exeter a really well coached & run club or are they cheating the system too, did Tigers when we were successful?
It's not a "Pathetic Tantrum" it's disappointment at the chipping away at what Rugby actually is, I personally would of preferred Tigers to really distance themselves from the Cheats in all aspects, the fact that they choose not to do, does not sit well with me & then to sign someone at the centre of a incident related to Covid in the present climate really grates, I am sure some of those who lost their jobs at Tigers due to Covid are not that chuffed either.

I would rather we struggled on the field & be a nicer club than win at any cost.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:36 pm

Like drug taking in Athletics & cycling it's a stain on the sport & makes you question everything you see, are Exeter a really well coached & run club or are they cheating the system too, did Tigers when we were successful?
It's not a "Pathetic Tantrum" it's disappointment at the chipping away at what Rugby actually is, I personally would of preferred Tigers to really distance themselves from the Cheats in all aspects, the fact that they choose not to do, does not sit well with me & then to sign someone at the centre of a incident related to Covid in the present climate really grates, I am sure some of those who lost their jobs at Tigers due to Covid are not that chuffed either.

I would rather we struggled on the field & be a nicer club than win at any cost.
Agreed. Wigglesworth and the others have been very comfortably looked after - they have not suffered financially and are very well rewarded. Their actions meant that quite a few poor s*ds many of whom may be not the best remunerated (given Covid some will be unemployed) lost out on a day's pay . What a hero!
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Would probably wind a lot of people up, but out of curiosity does the ban extend to friendly games?

Right so Wigglesworth suspended for

Brive
Bayonne
Newcastle
Bath

Youngs may be missing the Brive game due to returning from England break rules?

I think we have more than enough cover there as things stand.

White, JVP & Simmons are all good quality club scrum halves.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:36 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:50 pm

Out of curiosity, are the other 22 players in the match day squad from bloodgate equally stained? If not, why not, surely they must have known, no?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:36 pm I would rather we struggled on the field & be a nicer club than win at any cost.
Just so we're clear then you wished Backy hadn't stuck his hand out and we'd lost the European Cup?

And that is just mentioning one such infringement.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

From BBC
Thirteen Barbarians players have been given bans by the Rugby Football Union for their part in October's game against England having to be cancelled.

The players breached coronavirus protocols and the cancellation of the match cost the RFU about £500,00 in lost broadcast and sponsorship revenue.

All players accepted the charges.

Chris Robshaw, Alex Lewington, Fergus McFadden, Juan Pablo Socino, Richard Wigglesworth and Jackson Wray will all serve four-week suspensions.

They were all part of a group who left the team "bubble" twice and were found to have misled the investigation.

They were initially given 10-week bans, but those were reduced to five weeks "as a result of their timely acceptance of culpability and the players' other mitigation", of which three are suspended subject to there being no further off-field offending by the players for one year.

Lewington, Robshaw, Wigglesworth and Wray must also conduct 50 hours of unpaid rugby community work, while that figure is 60 hours for McFadden and Socino.

However, all six received another two-week suspension for giving a false account.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:50 pm Would probably wind a lot of people up, but out of curiosity does the ban extend to friendly games?

Right so Wigglesworth suspended for

Brive
Bayonne
Newcastle
Bath

Youngs may be missing the Brive game due to returning from England break rules?

I think we have more than enough cover there as things stand.

White, JVP & Simmons are all good quality club scrum halves.
Sounds about right to me. Let’s hope Ben Youngs is available for the Newcastle and Bath games!
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

ourla wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:01 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:36 pm I would rather we struggled on the field & be a nicer club than win at any cost.
Just so we're clear then you wished Backy hadn't stuck his hand out and we'd lost the European Cup?

Yes, on the list of things Backy did at Tigers that might be No 3 on the list of stinkers.

That day at Cardiff was brilliant, would of been brilliant even with a loss.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

This is getting silly, it is twenty years since " the hand of Back", he shouldn't gave done it, players should not deliberately go off side, strike for the ball early, obstruct the opposition or do anything against the rules but they do and always have done. I am a bit fed up with the holier than thou attitude of some. The guys that sneaked out of the hotel and breached Covid regulations were stupid and deserve to be punished but they should not be punished so severely that their careers are ended. Rugby players on tour at all levels have done some stupid things more so in the amateur days than now I would think. What they did was daft and the consequences tremendous but it was not theft, rape, assault or murder, the authorities have meted out what they consider to be an appropriate punishment, that should be the end of the matter.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Well said John the griff.
In actual fact there was quite a lot of confusion about what the Barbarians’ players
could do;at an investigation a few weeks ago the RFU admitted this.
If I remember the players were told they could go to a designated restaurant to eat then I think, rather foolishly too many went instead of 6!
Now the most recent investigation shows the players did break the rules.
The punishment is probably right and the players all apologised.
I wonder how many unknowns have broken the Covid rules yet nothing has been done about it.
Wigglesworth is a good bloke and will, as he’s already proving, be an asset to Tigers.
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:36 pm I've never agreed with the "blame the players" approach to the Salarycens thing.

Nothing Wigglesworth did was against the rules - it was Saracens not counting it towards the salary cap and not reporting it to the salary cap people that was the problem. None of that is even remotely Wigglesworth's responsibility. Even the idea that he must have known what was going on is a bit silly - he just wouldn't have access to that information.

What he did while with the Baba's was against the rules and was his responsibility. I am pleased that he and the others have been appropriately punished for that and I am happy to move on.
..if that one bloke had not copped to it then we would not have known anything about this!!!
The fact that they lied when asked and believed they could keep on lying as they never thought that they would get caught.
Suddenly they are contrite and it will never happen again.
They are grown hard nosed men, pathetic that they did not have the integrity to own what they had done.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:16 pm
ourla wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:01 pm

Yes, on the list of things Backy did at Tigers that might be No 3 on the list of stinkers.

That day at Cardiff was brilliant, would of been brilliant even with a loss.
With all due respect I think you are in a minority on this.

That is not to say I believe anything goes.