Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Wigglesworth in!

Post by Cagey Tiger »

JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 am
Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:02 am
kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:24 am Massively impressive Vs Gloucester....
Managed the game and the players around him very well - you could actually see the instructions being given out....
More than anything else however , was the huge difference in the overall quality and delivery of the/his kicking.
The man to implement the plan ?
Agreed, but the interesting things for me were that we seemed to kick less and that Dan Cole made a successful kick chase (by which I mean he arrived at exactly the right moment to take down the catcher). If Dan Cole can do it in his first match with Wigglesworth (although maybe they appeared together for England at some point?) then all this stuff about the kickers needing time to adjust because we have Nadolo instead of May, or we shouldn't be playing that way at all because we don't have Jonny May, was way off the mark. It helped immeasurably that we were playing much of the match on the front foot, of course, thanks to our revamped pack.
I'm pretty sure Cole has played with Wigglesworth for England in the Lancastrian days not sure if they did under Eddie Jones. That was a good hit though, and Cole wasn't the only one I noticed Green and Wells were able to chase the kicks well.
I remember Dan looking around as he chased the kick. The look on his face was
"oh ship" as he realised that he was going to arrive first and time the tackle right :smt003
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:08 pm
JP14 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:18 am
Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:02 am

Agreed, but the interesting things for me were that we seemed to kick less and that Dan Cole made a successful kick chase (by which I mean he arrived at exactly the right moment to take down the catcher). If Dan Cole can do it in his first match with Wigglesworth (although maybe they appeared together for England at some point?) then all this stuff about the kickers needing time to adjust because we have Nadolo instead of May, or we shouldn't be playing that way at all because we don't have Jonny May, was way off the mark. It helped immeasurably that we were playing much of the match on the front foot, of course, thanks to our revamped pack.
I'm pretty sure Cole has played with Wigglesworth for England in the Lancastrian days not sure if they did under Eddie Jones. That was a good hit though, and Cole wasn't the only one I noticed Green and Wells were able to chase the kicks well.
I remember Dan looking around as he chased the kick. The look on his face was
"oh ship" as he realised that he was going to arrive first and time the tackle right :smt003
then he saw Simpson and his eyes lit up
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Polar Bears well known for their speed.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I was under whelmed when he signed, but I was wrong, shrewd use of a talented player, hope our young 'uns learn from him and YBY.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:24 pm Polar Bears well known for their speed.
Dan is no slouch for a prop and a few years ago was no slouch, full stop.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:37 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:24 pm Polar Bears well known for their speed.
I know this is slightly off topic, but, all of the players looked like they'd shaped up and Coley looked in the best shape I think I've seen him in for a number of years.
Super User
Super User

longlivethecrumbie wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:45 am
Cagey Tiger wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:37 am
I know this is slightly off topic, but, all of the players looked like they'd shaped up and Coley looked in the best shape I think I've seen him in for a number of years.
Obviously scrummaging against the car is the future.
CrumblingTerrace
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Class debut. Arguably one of our best scrum-half performances for a couple of years, for intelligence and game management.

There is box kicking. And then there's Wigglesworth's box kicking.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

CrumblingTerrace wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:46 am Class debut. Arguably one of our best scrum-half performances for a couple of years, for intelligence and game management.

There is box kicking. And then there's Wigglesworth's box kicking.
I don't really remember that far back - was his game management of that sort of ilk when at Sale or was it very much refined while at Sarries?
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Perhaps the internationals have returned at an appropriate moment:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55233540

Ban incoming, or so it seems...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Only 2 weeks though.
Providing he doesn’t do anything else stupid.

So shouldn’t miss any prem games at least.
NVM read the further 2 weeks on top of that.

Still at least Youngs will be back.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

kk20gb30 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:09 pm Perhaps the internationals have returned at an appropriate moment:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55233540

Ban incoming, or so it seems...
5 - 3 + 2 = 4 week ban, plus fine of 2 weeks wages and 50 hours community work. Costly breach.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:43 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:24 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:20 pm Predictable, deserved & rather sums up Tigers as an entity at present.
What the hell has this got to do with Tigers, for crying out loud?!!
We signed the bloke...the clubs moral compass is defective at present.
we had a player convicted of assaulting a police officer, I don't remember you crying about that... Stop being so Holier than thou, it doesn't wash.

The only thing Wigglesworth is responsible for are his own actions and the punishment over the Barbarians breach is fine, he did nothing wrong at Saracens
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I have faith that with the return of Youngs, as well as Wigglesworth influence off the pitch (which will only be affected by the 60 hour community work) that this won't affect us too badly.

Borthers surely knew this would be coming and would have planned for it accordingly.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Super User
Super User

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:47 pm
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:43 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:24 pm

What the hell has this got to do with Tigers, for crying out loud?!!
We signed the bloke...the clubs moral compass is defective at present.
we had a player convicted of assaulting a police officer, I don't remember you crying about that... Stop being so Holier than thou, it doesn't wash.

The only thing Wigglesworth is responsible for are his own actions and the punishment over the Barbarians breach is fine, he did nothing wrong at Saracens
We all know the Manu thing wasn't quite as straightforward as stated, it was a point of stress between Manu & the Club.
Wigglesworth benefited financially at the Cheats, people seem to forget that aspect.
It was a 10 week ban initially until they copped a plea when they got found out.
Trust me I am definitely not holy.