Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: Wigglesworth in!

Post by BFG »

mol2 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:05 pm
BFG wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:39 pm I'm not surprised that another 9 has been brought in.
It hasn't even been close to being good enough in recent seasons.
Youngs has talent, but needs seriously challenging to perform.
Just my opinion.
Young’s has bucket loads of talent but his enthusiasm for club rugby seems dulled, perhaps by knowing or feeling there is diddly squat he do do at club level or what his role is.
Lat week against Italy he was t outstanding England player.

Perhaps a rugby equivalent of David Gower in cricket?
I fancy even I could occasionally look useful against Italy.
I think Wigglesworth will bring consistency.
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:01 am I think it’s a really good signing. In reality a half player / half coach who has shown that age is only a mentality and will bring level headedness to the squad and a mentorship to the youngsters.
:smt023 Spot on!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

It is easy to blame the 9 - when the reality is the issue lies with not having runners to pass to.

Much the same applied to the world cup final where some blamed Cole on the tight head side for the scrum failure when the reality is that the problems stemmed from the loose-head getting stuffed so that the opposition loose head and hooker could concentrate their drive aginst the tight head. Which is why the scrum settled when Marler came on for Vunipola.

It's easy to blame the player for doing the job he is supposed to when the team as a whole isn't.

We could argue we kick away too much but that applies to both scrum half and fly half. Are we suggesting that Ford has become a hopless kicker too. Blame the tactics rather than the players who seem to be putting them into action when the team wasn't really able to do so. A kicking gaame needs more than a May to make it work, just as a crash ball game needs more than a Manu.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I agree with you to a degree but there are times when Youngs kicks even when the entire Back line is queuing up outside him and when you have Tuileries, May and Veanu this makes no sense.
A2O
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

ay2oh wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:07 am I agree with you to a degree but there are times when Youngs kicks even when the entire Back line is queuing up outside him and when you have Tuileries, May and Veanu this makes no sense.
Sounds like something that Blackadder would be given leaches to heal!
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

ABClub wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:19 am
ay2oh wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:07 am I agree with you to a degree but there are times when Youngs kicks even when the entire Back line is queuing up outside him and when you have Tuileries, May and Veanu this makes no sense.
Sounds like something that Blackadder would be given leaches to heal!
Pesky predictive text
A2O
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

Given the circumstances, do the Tigers need an experienced SH? Yes IMO. Does Wiggy fit the requirement? Yes IMO. Will he benefit the Tigers? Yes IMO. - No brainer!
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:11 am Wigglesworth has given sterling service to both Sale, Saracens and England over many years he has now joined us and I look for the same level of service. I do not condemn him for the financial sins of his former club, they were not the responsibility of the players, the legal people and those in charge at Sarries told the players that all was ok with cap regulations and that was accepted by the players who were not expected to be expert in those matters. I am not aware of any problem with payments or benefits that would concern HMRC. The guy has made a bad error in behaviour re the night out with Barbarians colleagues with unfortunate consequences this to me does not put him in the same bracket as Calum Clark or Paddy Jackson, Wayne Richardson Fan Club says it is the sign of a wrong un and ignoring something small is the start of a slippery slope. I confess that in the past I have driven at 37 miles per hour in a 30 limit and as child went scrumping now in my mid seventies my slippery slope continues.
The signing of an experienced but past his best scrum half begs the question why? On reflection we know that Ben Youngs is going to be away with England for an extended period, our back-up is the excellent but inexperienced Ben White and the promising Jack Van Portlivet, we need two 9's for each match and apart from those mentioned we only have one other (currently used as a utility player) who has some senior experience in the position, are we vulnerable to injury at scrum half? Yes! Will our young players benefit from having Richard Wiigglesworth around offering advice? Yes! In my opinion a good and timely signing and I welcome him to our club.
Was getting bored with this thread reading the same comments over and over but this sums it up perfectly imho.. well said and a welcome addition :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

DingDong wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:10 am
aslongaswebeatsaints wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:01 am I think it’s a really good signing. In reality a half player / half coach who has shown that age is only a mentality and will bring level headedness to the squad and a mentorship to the youngsters.
:smt023 Spot on!
Agreed :smt023
Oakham lad born and bred, Tigers season ticket holder who is enjoying steady progression back towards the good old days!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

'The Rugby Paper' , Wigglesworth to Leicester :

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... ford-road/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Tom Youngs on Wigglesworth signing.......

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-welf ... heir-pomp/

Fingers crossed he is right .
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Massively impressive Vs Gloucester....
Managed the game and the players around him very well - you could actually see the instructions being given out....
More than anything else however , was the huge difference in the overall quality and delivery of the/his kicking.
The man to implement the plan ?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

kk20gb30 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:24 am Massively impressive Vs Gloucester....
Managed the game and the players around him very well - you could actually see the instructions being given out....
More than anything else however , was the huge difference in the overall quality and delivery of the/his kicking.
Agreed, but the interesting things for me were that we seemed to kick less and that Dan Cole made a successful kick chase (by which I mean he arrived at exactly the right moment to take down the catcher). If Dan Cole can do it in his first match with Wigglesworth (although maybe they appeared together for England at some point?) then all this stuff about the kickers needing time to adjust because we have Nadolo instead of May, or we shouldn't be playing that way at all because we don't have Jonny May, was way off the mark. It helped immeasurably that we were playing much of the match on the front foot, of course, thanks to our revamped pack.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:02 am
Agreed, but the interesting things for me were that we seemed to kick less and that Dan Cole made a successful kick chase (by which I mean he arrived at exactly the right moment to take down the catcher). If Dan Cole can do it in his first match with Wigglesworth (although maybe they appeared together for England at some point?) then all this stuff about the kickers needing time to adjust because we have Nadolo instead of May, or we shouldn't be playing that way at all because we don't have Jonny May, was way off the mark. It helped immeasurably that we were playing much of the match on the front foot, of course, thanks to our revamped pack.
It's easier to have a successful kick chase when the opposition aren't always set up for it. Wigglesworth when he kicked varied lengths and depths, and we didn't always kick. Much harder to defend if your back 3 don't know how deep to line up.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Tiglon wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:02 am
I'm pretty sure Cole has played with Wigglesworth for England in the Lancastrian days not sure if they did under Eddie Jones. That was a good hit though, and Cole wasn't the only one I noticed Green and Wells were able to chase the kicks well.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni