Rob Taylor leaves on compassionate grounds

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Rob Taylor leaves on compassionate grounds

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

One if the big jobs of an Attack coach for us is either structuring an "attack" that George Ford wants or having the guts (& backing from the Head Coach & DOR) to tell GF that's how we are playing, like it or thanks for coming.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I would imagine if he wasn't going to be away as much as he will be they might have just left George to run the attack, both he and Farrell run a lot of what England do in attack I think
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I think it is important that whoever comes in as attack coach is Borthwick's choice. Steve B is Head Coach and whilst others will have some input the new recruit must be in the main by his decision as he is the one they have to bond and work with. Having said that I think some on this message board have made decent suggestions, I assume Vesty is out of reach as he is contracted to Saints but Ant Allen really impressed me with work he did with our Academy and he has gained further experience at Coventry. I have no objection to Wigglesworth an experienced player with some coaching credits even if he has been a bit daft whilst with the Barbarians. I am sure there are a few candidates for scrum coach as well, essentially I think that should be a front row man, I wonder what George Chuter is doing at present?
Super User
Super User

The big plus if Mr Chuter returned would be his programme column.

I remain to be convinced that we haven't lost one difficult to deal with at times family, for another.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If all these names were available last time, why on earth did we go for a university coach from Australia? Perhaps most were not interested, and the problem could well be the same this time...

Yet another season beginning without the right coaching setup.
Super User
Super User

Tiglon wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:56 pm If all these names were available last time, why on earth did we go for a university coach from Australia? Perhaps most were not interested, and the problem could well be the same this time...

Yet another season beginning without the right coaching setup.
Trouble is we might of signed the right bloke from Sydney University..
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:58 pm
mol2 wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:38 am
Leicestertinytiger wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:06 am Think he’s mainly a defence coach rather than attack. That’s the worry, earlier in the year Vesty was coming out of contract and you had Alex King available. Now I don’t think there’s anyone on the market.
Concur - he had a well deserved reputation as a player as the defensive organiser on the pitch. Presumably this would have been his initial strength as he transitioned into coaching.
Actually, Ant is listed as Coventry's attack and skills coach. (James Scaysbrook is their defence coach).
I agree he was a very good defensive organiser, as all good 12s need to be (and something we have missed since his playing days imo). However, that doesn't preclude them being attack minded. Paddy Howard was the same.
After he had to stop playing, Ant started coaching the Academy lads, and I think it coincided with the start of the run of success that the Academy lads have had. I also think he was invited, along with one or two others, to take part in the England squad preparation at one point, as he was seen as an 'up and coming coach'.

Whoever comes in will need to work with Ford, and I am not sure how that might sit with 'big-name, established' backs coaches.
I think Ant Allen was the backs coach under Taylor for the academy. Deacon the forwards.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With the Championship on hold I could certainly see a loan agreement being put in place for Ant Allen with Coventry this year. This probably works on 2 levels, one reduces Coventry's wage bill, secondly it means we can wait to make a long term till the season end where more top class coaches may be available, yet allowing one of the main candidates a decent run at the role.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.