Autumn Nations Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Re: Autumn Nations Cup

Post by Tiglon »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:13 pm France have chosen Baptiste Sérin as captain for their Autumn Nations fixture against Italy on Saturday.
It'll undoubtedly be a "B" team, with the final against England at Twickenham the following Saturday.
However, as the French rugby Federation have an agreement with the clubs that no player will play more than three matches during the autumn, players like Antoine Dupont, regular captain Charles Ollivon, Virimi Vakatawa and Gaël Fickou probably won't be available against England, which will take the edge off the game for me.
But rules are meant to be bent so they'll probably find a way around the problem!
Is it no more than 3 appearances, or no more than 240 minutes?

Would be a massive anticlimax if the best French players are missing.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Tiglon wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:49 pm
Robespierre wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:13 pm France have chosen Baptiste Sérin as captain for their Autumn Nations fixture against Italy on Saturday.
It'll undoubtedly be a "B" team, with the final against England at Twickenham the following Saturday.
However, as the French rugby Federation have an agreement with the clubs that no player will play more than three matches during the autumn, players like Antoine Dupont, regular captain Charles Ollivon, Virimi Vakatawa and Gaël Fickou probably won't be available against England, which will take the edge off the game for me.
But rules are meant to be bent so they'll probably find a way around the problem!
Is it no more than 3 appearances, or no more than 240 minutes?

Would be a massive anticlimax if the best French players are missing.
Three matches, I believe, and you’re quite right, a hell of an anticlimax.
Semper in excretia
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

England retained 25

Lawrence misses out with a knock,interesting that there are 3 LH. Vunipola or Genge must have a slight knock.

Elliot Daly (Saracens, 45 caps)
Owen Farrell (Saracens, 86 caps)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 70 caps)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 53 caps)
Max Malins (Bristol Bears, 2 caps)
Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby, 59 caps)
Dan Robson (Wasps, 5 caps)
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 32 caps)
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 44 caps)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 102 caps)

FORWARDS
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 24 caps)
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 26 caps)
Ben Earl (Bristol Bears, 6 caps)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 21 caps)
Jamie George (Saracens, 52 caps)
Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs, 2 caps)
Maro Itoje (Saracens, 41 caps)
Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 67 caps)
Joe Marler (Harlequins, 71 caps)
Kyle Sinckler (Bristol Bears, 38 caps)
Will Stuart (Bath Rugby, 6 caps)
Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 20 caps)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 54 caps)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 62 caps)
Jack Willis (Wasps, 1 cap)
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Could see a 6-2 split depending on whether Ford starts or Eddie goes with Farrell/Slade/JJ
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

A pound to a pinch of you know what, it'll be Farrell, Slade and JJ with Watson and May and Daly at 15.
Creative, attacking rugby doesn't seem to be on Eddie's agenda. Crush 'em in the forwards and Mr Undroppable will kick, kick, kick..... until the cow's come home.
George Ford must be wondering what his role is in this squad.
Barring an earthquake, England will reach the final and I hope there'll be undone by the French. I've a dual nationality now, British/French and support France against all countries, except England, but the style of physical domination rugby that Eddie insists on is wearing very thin.
Allez les bleus!
Semper in excretia
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

I don’t get all this misty eyed, romantic claptrap that sport should be about the ‘beautiful’ game. Sport, certainly at the professional level and definitely at the international level is about winning. End of.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:11 pm I don’t get all this misty eyed, romantic claptrap that sport should be about the ‘beautiful’ game. Sport, certainly at the professional level and definitely at the international level is about winning. End of.
That about sums up the state of modern rugby. I'm just glad that I played when I did back in the 60s, 70s and 80s, and watching Eddie's England try and smash the opposition into submission and then kick the ball away time and time again doesn't appeal to me at all. So call me misty-eyed and romantic if you wish but that's the rugby that I prefer. Come and watch Toulouse in their pomp and you'll see what I mean.
Semper in excretia
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:21 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:11 pm I don’t get all this misty eyed, romantic claptrap that sport should be about the ‘beautiful’ game. Sport, certainly at the professional level and definitely at the international level is about winning. End of.
That about sums up the state of modern rugby. I'm just glad that I played when I did back in the 60s, 70s and 80s, and watching Eddie's England try and smash the opposition into submission and then kick the ball away time and time again doesn't appeal to me at all. So call me misty-eyed and romantic if you wish but that's the rugby that I prefer. Come and watch Toulouse in their pomp and you'll see what I mean.
Tres bonne Monsieur Robespierre
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Dokie wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:04 pm
Didn't our (Tigers') plummet into ignominy start with the attempt to appease seemingly constant griping that while our rugby was winning, it wasn't pretty?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Crofty wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 pm

Didn't our (Tigers') plummet into ignominy start with the attempt to appease seemingly constant griping that while our rugby was winning, it wasn't pretty?
So by that token you’d be happy if we got relegated playing ‘pretty’ rugby?
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Strange post Robespierre ,especially as regards to Ford. He’s only out now because he was injured and iirc he has only ever been dropped twice in the whole of Jones tenure. England have played some superb stuff at times with Ford pulling the strings.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:47 am Strange post Robespierre ,especially as regards to Ford. He’s only out now because he was injured and iirc he has only ever been dropped twice in the whole of Jones tenure. England have played some superb stuff at times with Ford pulling the strings.
Just seems to me that Eddie has changed tactics somewhat this Autumn. Let’s see If Ford is in the starting XV for the next two games. It isn’t all doom and gloom however, looking at Jonny May’s super try against Ireland.
Semper in excretia
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

MCC1964 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:08 pm
Crofty wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:53 pm
So by that token you’d be happy if we got relegated playing ‘pretty’ rugby?
Nope, exactly the opposite, I was absolutely 100% happy when we played boring rugby in Premiership Play-off and Heineken Cup finals and said so at the time.

My statement was a warning to those who are now complaining that England are winning by playing boring rugby.
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

There was a certain English Fly half with the initials JW who was great at controlling the game but sometimes left watchers wanting a bit more flair. I was perfectly happy with him when he scored a drop goal in 03 though.

I like that England have a different game plan depending on which fly half is on the pitch (or both) variety makes us harder to play against. With Ford injured that variety was lacking but we still got results. To me that shows resilience in the squad but also show's Ford's worth to this team.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Really odd conversation this.

Surely you can appreciate both for what they are. And, you do whatever works for you and/or you can do, given the personnel.

And actually the best teams can play it more than one way.