Autumn Nations Cup

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Autumn Nations Cup

Post by Scott1 »

We were poor but were France really “great”? Not taking anything away from them but now the dust has settled I only remember them getting out their half twice during the whole of the second half and during ET. They were superb first half and their defence was amazing but now I’ve calmed down I just think we were shocking more than anything else,9 kickable points missed and at least 2 tries butchered. We were never really under the cosh at any stage if we are all honest.
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I'm not sure that France were great.

Yes they out performed what might have been expected from a B team. You expect a Sean Edwards coached side to defend well. He is the best defense coach around. However the real issue is that England played badly (& still won). At the end of the first half we were camped on their line will nearly all of their team drawn in to defend the rucks yet no thought of spinnning it wide. Yes it works for Exeter but it has to be balanced with the inclination to use the threat from the backs to prevents sides from committing too many to the breakdown when you are camped on the try line. The reason it works for Exeter is that most of the time they are not up against international players who don't tire after a few phases and they will use runners and wide backs so sides can't commit all their defenders to the ruck, or when they do the ball gets spun to runners who get to exploit the gaps.

England need add a cutting edge to ther play. I'm still not sure that EJ understands the world cup final was lost in the scrum and the lack of attacking strategy to get points on the board when bish bash bosh isn't enough on its own. Scoring opportunities are few so you have to be ready to take them so you can put matches away rather than hope that penalties will be enough.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

mol2 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:31 am I'm not sure that France were great.

Yes they out performed what might have been expected from a B team. You expect a Sean Edwards coached side to defend well. He is the best defense coach around. However the real issue is that England played badly (& still won). At the end of the first half we were camped on their line will nearly all of their team drawn in to defend the rucks yet no thought of spinnning it wide. Yes it works for Exeter but it has to be balanced with the inclination to use the threat from the backs to prevents sides from committing too many to the breakdown when you are camped on the try line. The reason it works for Exeter is that most of the time they are not up against international players who don't tire after a few phases and they will use runners and wide backs so sides can't commit all their defenders to the ruck, or when they do the ball gets spun to runners who get to exploit the gaps.

England need add a cutting edge to ther play. I'm still not sure that EJ understands the world cup final was lost in the scrum and the lack of attacking strategy to get points on the board when bish bash bosh isn't enough on its own. Scoring opportunities are few so you have to be ready to take them so you can put matches away rather than hope that penalties will be enough.
Good post 👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
wellstiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wellstiger »

France reminded me of Tigers at present. Full of heart, little on skill. Like us are missing key players which will benefit them in the future.
England had the skill set but butchered themselves with poor decision making and stupid penalties. Therefore also similar to Tigers at present.
Why oh why is Ford not taking to the kicking"T" Farrell has been less than his usual self, don't know but I think the Sorries fiasco has got to his confidence.Not the player he should be. How ironic that he is the one that will be credited with the kick that won the title.
Does anyone know the kicking averages for Ford - v- Farrell for the past season and up and to now?
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

France were over-egged. Even their try came from a very crooked lineout. Had Farrell’s kicking boots been working England would have been in control. As it was England were patient, put pressure on and drew penalties. It should have been finished in normal time, but these things happen.

In extra time we just saw more patience. France started looking for a DG 45m out and England just let them have phase after phase, going nowhere with England just letting them recycle until they made a mistake. Then pressure back on, penalty, done.

Goode et al just want attention and clickbait.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

thebearisstilldeano wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:30 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:56 pm
MCC1964 wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:36 pm

I think you’ll find that’s England’s go to tactic. If you listened as half time the pundits stated the clear tactic was not to play in their own half and kick the ball back to them and force a mistake. And most of that kicking was by George Ford and Elliot Daly.
The kick placing isn't random or aimless either. They kick down the centre to try and bring the back three towards the middle of the pitch and then when they take the return kick they kick to the corner. Apply the pressure on the kick to the corner and look to get a poor kick return providing the territory to start attacking from. Entertaining no but mindless certainly not.

Farrell was shocking throughout. A waste of space and well below the expected level. Ford was the source of all our attacking play, just imagine if he'd had a strike runner in the backline.
My apologies for referring to the kicking as aimless.

( Does anyone know what to call a tactic that is clearly not working but is persisted with none the less? Asking for a friend?)
It works pretty well it's just incredibly dull to watch. We struggled against France because they picked a 15 that was exceptional under the high ball and who could kick it back with interest. That and a team of young talent being told they've got nothing to lose and go enjoy yourselves. France turned on the style whilst the selection policy for our backline killed any chance of us having any.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I was pleased with the performance of the French players. Ok, so they made some mistakes but they are very promising. Young players like 20 year-old centre Moefana and wing forward Woki. It augurs well for the 6Nations and the next World Cup.
Semper in excretia
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Robespierre wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:41 pm I was pleased with the performance of the French players. Ok, so they made some mistakes but they are very promising. Young players like 20 year-old centre Moefana and wing forward Woki. It augurs well for the 6Nations and the next World Cup.
I have seen few better players than Woki that play so well defensively in the lineout, outstanding turnovers in the air, and against Maro too!
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni