Relegation 20/21

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Re: Relegation 20/21

Post by Old Hob »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:50 pm If the future of the pro game is at stake, and the Championship is defunct, then the Cheetahs and the other rich man's plaything will end up in a 14 team league tout suite. Don't believe otherwise.
Seriously?? Then I'm chucking it in. 60 years of playing and supporting, I've had enough. The game is turning into wendyball anyway. Massive celebrations for not just a score but a scrum penalty, players whinging they've lost out on money when they've been paid 10 times a police constable's wage. It was just much more fun when we had police constables (and Inspectors) playing. Plus French polishers and bank clerks and teachers and farmers and you had 5 foot 9", 11stone internationals who were sprinkled with star dust...
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Old Hob wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:16 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:50 pm If the future of the pro game is at stake, and the Championship is defunct, then the Cheetahs and the other rich man's plaything will end up in a 14 team league tout suite. Don't believe otherwise.
Seriously?? Then I'm chucking it in. 60 years of playing and supporting, I've had enough. The game is turning into wendyball anyway. Massive celebrations for not just a score but a scrum penalty, players whinging they've lost out on money when they've been paid 10 times a police constable's wage. It was just much more fun when we had police constables (and Inspectors) playing. Plus French polishers and bank clerks and teachers and farmers and you had 5 foot 9", 11stone internationals who were sprinkled with star dust...
Absolutely agree. Don't think jgriffin was necessarily advocating their return, just resigned to the powers that be goiing down that route. Which I do not doubt at all. Less time for me but exactly the same sentiments as yourself.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I miss that too. 5”8 playing full back for my old RAF and playing the old amateur teams like the MET and other Units. But sorry those days are over for us old timers and dreamers. I really dislike the back slapping when a team when’s a scrum penalty.. the only time find it acceptable is when England’s 6 man scrum shove the All blacks back in their backyard. The amateur times are never coming back but it’s nice to think about them.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I feel like that about rugby now. I thought I was the only one!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Be careful what you wish for. It’s not beyond imagination that we could end up back in the amateur era.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:05 pm
By the way, that's just an average punter wanting to see despicable acts punished accordingly (sentence is passed, but not yet served) and for the sport to look as if it wishes to rescue some integrity :smt005 where they are concerned. Their immediate re-admission to the premiership would not see that achieved. However, if 'bloodlust' :smt009 is the latest badge/label to be appended to anyone with non-liberal attitudes to cheating and holding their peers in contempt, then so be it, pass the O+, or maybe in COVID times I should wish for O-

I would hold the same opinion regarding any club that did what they did, Tigers included.
Whoooooa Tiger. Chill!

I didn’t say anything about having a liberal attitude to cheating (and have been exceptionally critical of the systematic abuse of the salary cap. Just as I’ve been a staunch defender of not just giving their titles to Exeter, which is an equally stupid idea), just that is there really any point IF there was no Championship rugby this season (because, let’s remain in the real world, they’re coming straight back up). Same as I don’t particularly want to see Ealing just given promotion. But they are the only “sort of” viable team, even with only 3 regular fans in their ground and Quins and Irish less than a stones’ throw away.

But given C19, the state of the game anyway, it’s an opportunity to present a viable future for the elite domestic game In England which, if we’re honest, is well and truly up the dirty creek with a very inadequate paddle.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:39 pm
I feel like that about rugby now. I thought I was the only one!
My late Dad's on the '48/'49 Tigers team photo. He was 5'11" and never got to 12st but doesn't look 'undersized' compared to his team-mates. He played outside centre/wing!
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:37 am
By the way, that's just an average punter wanting to see despicable acts punished accordingly (sentence is passed, but not yet served) and for the sport to look as if it wishes to rescue some integrity :smt005 where they are concerned. Their immediate re-admission to the premiership would not see that achieved. However, if 'bloodlust' :smt009 is the latest badge/label to be appended to anyone with non-liberal attitudes to cheating and holding their peers in contempt, then so be it, pass the O+, or maybe in COVID times I should wish for O-

I would hold the same opinion regarding any club that did what they did, Tigers included.
Whoooooa Tiger. Chill!

I didn’t say anything about having a liberal attitude to cheating (and have been exceptionally critical of the systematic abuse of the salary cap. Just as I’ve been a staunch defender of not just giving their titles to Exeter, which is an equally stupid idea), just that is there really any point IF there was no Championship rugby this season (because, let’s remain in the real world, they’re coming straight back up). Same as I don’t particularly want to see Ealing just given promotion. But they are the only “sort of” viable team, even with only 3 regular fans in their ground and Quins and Irish less than a stones’ throw away.

But given C19, the state of the game anyway, it’s an opportunity to present a viable future for the elite domestic game In England which, if we’re honest, is well and truly up the dirty creek with a very inadequate paddle.
Why, in your opinion, is the future of elite level club rugby necessarily and inextricably tied to the future of Salarycheats?
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

When Tigers played London Welsh I found myself walking behind Phil Bennet. I just scrape 6foot but my chin could have rested on his head. Even when he was scoring against us, that man was a joy to watch.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Crofty wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:15 am

Whoooooa Tiger. Chill!

Why, in your opinion, is the future of elite level club rugby necessarily and inextricably tied to the future of Salarycheats?
Well, they are PRL shareholders. That’s probably quite an important factor.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Yep I'm not advocating a 14 team ring-fence but can see that as an increasingly likely outcome.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Not sure what will happen but hope it isn't ring fencing as that puts a permanant barrier to the next Worcester or Exeter coming through the leagues.

I don't see top level RU returning to the amateur era. To be honest it was a sham amateur era before that anyway.

Will some sides go bust - quite possibly. I'm not sure that there is justification for a fully professional second tier. The numbers of fans attending simply fails to justify major sponsorship. So sides aspiring to climb the leagues will need a benefactor.
Crofty
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Crofty »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:41 am

Whoooooa Tiger. Chill!

So were Leeds Carnegie, until they didn't come back up...
No, not that one!

Remember, whatever you do to the smallest of the backs you do to his prop, and you can't avoid the rucks and mauls forever...

I know you don't like it when I boo him but how else will he know he's wrong?

non possumus capere
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Crofty wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Leeds sold their shares, didn’t they, and then gradually declined into obscurity and financial ruin?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:28 pm
Crofty wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:34 pm

Leeds sold their shares, didn’t they, and then gradually declined into obscurity and financial ruin?
Yeah they sold them to Exeter, but that was because once they had been out of the league for more than a year, as there was a limit on number of teams who could be a shareholder at 13, the fact Exeter had been there for a few years and Leeds had failed to bounce back up meant it was a forced sale rather than whar Leeds wanted.

With the fact that all teams in the League atm are shareholders, even were the worst(/best depending on viewpoint) to happen amd Sarries not to get promoted, there's no non-shareholder team who's been in the league multiple years to buy the shares, don't think (but not sure) the team who gets promoted as a brand new team would be eligible to buy them immediately.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.