Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noggs
Super User
Super User

Baa Baas game called off - Players charged by RFU

Post by Noggs »

What a load of selfish idiots.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54656359

They have cost the game a lot of money and wasted time and they deserve all they get.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
VernonAtrium

Re: Baa Baas game called off

Post by VernonAtrium »

'Chris Robshaw, Richard Wigglesworth, Sean Maitland and Jackson Wray were among the 12 players stood down from the fixture, along with a number of other Saracens players.'

Priorities, eh?
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Yeah they said the RFU found a 2nd breach earlier and players obviously mixed after that.. shocking they can't stick to the rules. They should have to reimburse the RFU for all the lost revenue on the fixture!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Has anyone thought it may have been deliberate?
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Twelve people do not book a meal by accident, apologies mean nothing they should be punished by large fines and a lengthy ban.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I trust it will be a cold day in hell the next time any are picked to play international rugby. There is no excuse for such collective stupidity.

Compare this with the weeks of isolation of the England and visiting cricket teams plus support staff, commentators, etc. over the summer. They were arranging games evenings to keep themselves amused and having takeaways brought in to mix up the food options. In other words they made the sacrifices necessary to play international sport in a pandemic.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Clearly Rugby should be banned it obviously leads to brain damage in a large number of international players.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I hope these ****heads realise that the more they break the rules (they've broken the law, not just their team protocols) the more other people will and, therefore, the more people in hospitality etc will lose their jobs. I doubt they could care less. I trust none of them will ever complain about being asked to take pay cuts due to covid...

I'm also curious which London restaurant accepted a booking for 12 people?
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Robshaw part owns a coffee and wine bar in Winchester so should be well aware of the situation. Really dumb.

Wigglesworth is approaching 40 and has 2 kids...

Maitland's second public coronavirus incident as well after half a dozen Sarries players popped out for coffee back in May during the stricter lockdown.

Wray is widely regarded as a complete muppet so not totally surprising. A friend who worked at Allianz Park for a couple of years once said that the only reason Wray wasn't considered the dumbest man in rugby is that he's usually stood next to Richard Barrington.

So disappointing.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Disappointing but surely with a bit of imagination a probables versus the possibles match could've been arranged.
Jacko27

Post by Jacko27 »

"Has anyone thought it might be deliberate". Don't understand this comment JG. What motive could they have? Why would these players want the match cancelled? They weren't compelled to play and - as I understand it - Barbarians are well remunerated and looked after nowadays. It was being televised and carries a certain amount of cachet in the rugby world. I have to say I'm baffled why senior, sensible, usually responsible players would do something so stupid. Did they think they wouldn't be spotted? Wouldn't be grassed up?
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

This is a totally irresponsible act and those 12 and any others before should be made to recover the costs to The Barbarian FC as they rely on these events to survive. Captain Robshaw and his Sarries friends were isolating in the top Grosvenor House Hotel London as a 23+ squad with Vern Cotter ~ who must like all of us be ashamed of their actions.
To think the restaurant would allow 2 x 6 settings when those Sarries players cannot even count beggers belief.
Furthermore the loss of gametime to the isolating England team and the hopeful appearance of Joe Heyes in an England shirt would have been a great event too. The RFU investigation will hopefully name and shame those who bring the game into disrepute as they have further delayed the chance of live games with spectators and the revival of the hospitality industry. :smt013 :smt011
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Jacko27 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:58 pm "Has anyone thought it might be deliberate". Don't understand this comment JG. What motive could they have? Why would these players want the match cancelled? They weren't compelled to play and - as I understand it - Barbarians are well remunerated and looked after nowadays. It was being televised and carries a certain amount of cachet in the rugby world. I have to say I'm baffled why senior, sensible, usually responsible players would do something so stupid. Did they think they wouldn't be spotted? Wouldn't be grassed up?
Deliberate as in they did it knowing it was wrong, but thought they could get away with it.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

They definitely knew what they were doing, they definitely knew it was wrong and they definitely thought they would get away with it.

They also definitely knew that there would be no negative consequences for them, other than having to ask their PR guys to distribute a "sincere" apology.

Arrogance and selfishness, simple as that. The same goes for the restaurant that took the booking.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

I would think they might need a damn good lawyer.